6.5x47 Lapua Reamer Specs

Hondo64d

I queried on a couple of sites asking for suggestions for freebore length in order to reach the lands with a 130gr Hunting VLD seated shuch that the angle on the botail is even with the neck/shoulder junction. With numbers suggested being all over the map, I decided on a .100 freebore. Even if the heel is a little above the neck/shoulder junction, it should still let me chase the lands a little bit and work in a 2.8" Remington box.

I think I screwed up on the neck diameter though. I let the guy at JGS talk me into their standard neck diameter. They assured me their print was to CIP specs and would not require neck turning. Their neck specs are .293 tapering to .292. Well, my dummy rounds with virgin Lapua brass are measuring .2909. I'm afraid that's too tight. What are your thoughts?

John

Too tight for unturned necks. All it would take is to have one case with a neck wall thickness that is more than average and you would have higher pressure with all associated with it.

Isn't there time to alter the reamer? Give them a call before they get it made. Otherwise IMO you will be turning necks.

The neck chamber need to be .004 larger than a loaded case.

The .100 thousandths free bore will work good for you. and you might find better accuracy if you back off the lands more.

J E CUSTOM

The folks at JGS are going to allow me to return the reamer to be replaced with one that has a .294 neck. I am VERY impressed with their customer service.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts