6.5x284

I am building a 6.5x284, for my savage 112VSS, who would be the best barrel for this action and what twist? 8 or 9
So far I am thinking about Pac-nor?
I am thinking of 140 grn range.

Also best place for ammo

There are a bunch of good barrel makers out there and Pac-Nor is one of them.
However I prefer a Schneider polygonal or the Broughton 6.5s have been shooting etremely well also. The Rock 6.5 is another extremely accurate barrel.
There has been a few experimenting with the 9 twists but the majority of the rifles out there are sporting an 8 or 8 1/2 twist.

[ 07-27-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Thanks chris, is there a web page for Schneider polygonal or the Broughton. I am buiding a M98 26 inch HB, cal .308 with a Pacnor now.

I second the recommendation on Pac/Nor! I am using one of their 3 groove 8 twist blanks for my Magnumlite carbon fiber barreled Nesika 6.5/284. With 140 Berger's at 3174fps the gun shoots 300 yard groups of .348. Good Luck on your project!

Thanks for the info.
I can get the Pacnor chambered and prefit but I need a gun smith to finnish the Broughton any suggestions, how much it would cost?
I am on a Military budget

fmsniper, Figure cost at appr $200. to chamber. I just had a 300wsm done up with a Broughton 5r and highly recommend those barrels. Tim North is into the 1000yd matches and uses a 6.5x284 and he is a wealth of info on that cal helped me out with my 6.5x284. There is another outfit that supplies pre-threaded barrel for Savage might be Sharpshooter supply or something like that I'd check them out also. Well good luck.

Bill Shehane at D & B Supply is also a wealth of knowledge on the 6.5/284 and various wildcats in 6mm and 6.5mm his 6.5/284 Shehane is a improved version with less body taper and I think he has a few 1000yds records to his name.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I second the recommendation on Pac/Nor! I am using one of their 3 groove 8 twist blanks for my Magnumlite carbon fiber barreled Nesika 6.5/284. With 140 Berger's at 3174fps the gun shoots 300 yard groups of .348. Good Luck on your project! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK am i the only one that caught this??

"groups" as in it happened more than one time?

how many shots?

if this is a consistant 0.1moa gun you better enter every benchrest match you can find and collect those 1000's of dollars that you could win with a shooter like that.

JB
rolleyes.gif

JB

I am not a competitive rifle shooter, but, I do enjoy VERY accurate rifles. I have shot groups with different bullets very close to the .348 group I mentioned which was shot during load development for this gun. The very first 300 yard group out of the gun was .515 with Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tips. Thanks, but I don't need to shoot in matches to know how my gun shoots. Each and every one of my Magnumlite barreled guns shoots extremely well. 26/06 in the 0's. 7mm STW 1.5 inches at 700 yards. Look at the November `99 issue of Precision shooting for an article titled: "Can't see the Forras Through the trees" in which this particular gun is discussed.

I've had good luck with PacNor barrels. IMHO there are better barrels but definitely none that offer so much accuracy per dollar.

As far as twist, what bullet do you want to shoot? I would suggest going to Shilen's and Berger's web sites and see what they recommend for twist.

I don't like a twist any faster than is really necessary. Faster twists generally increase bullet deformation, increase pressure, and foul more because there's more inches of corner to hide "stuff" in.

Froggy shoots a 6.5 - 284 with a 1:8.5 twist #6 Krieger barrel. The Chamber was "Re-Cut" by George Gardner of GA Precision in North Kansas City and let me tell you, this gun, (Rem 700) bedded in a McMillan Stock shoots exceptionally well. He is utilizing I think H4350 powder and the Sierra MK 142's. When I say exceptionally, I mean golf balls at 1000 yards – repeatedly. (NO EXAGERATION)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.