Need 6.5x284 dies

marioq

Got 2 guns and I need dies or a set of dies for them. I have 3 STWs and I have a set of dies for each. Wondering if I should get 2 sets or just one.

I have several other brands of dies but just curious what the guys shooting the 6.5s use and makes the most reproducible round.
One is a Mcmillan custom. The other is one built by Kevin Cram.
Thanks for the help. Just going tos tart to reload for them.
I'll follow the lead from others in the Loads.

Thanks

Mario

As much as I've driven myself nuts over dies the last few months to see you coming up with this thread just really cracks me up.

Unfortunately I think you have the right idea with having a separate setup for each rifle. Now if you had two rifles made at the same time, same caliber, same reamer etc there would be no issue using one set of dies for both but for my money it just makes the most sense to go with separate sets even for rifles of the same caliber. To do otherwise would require you spend a lot of time tweaking the dies each time you set up to load for one or the other or you end up with less precision than you desire just so you don't have to go through all those gyrations.

As for equipment with the exception of the really big magnums like the .338L going with either the Redding or RCBS turret presses really makes good sense to me. With these you can set up different turrets for each rifle and when the time comes to switch it's a very simple process to swap out the turrets rather than having to switch out dies individually for each step for each rifle.

As for the dies themselves like you I've had RCBS, Lee, Redding and Lyman dies over the years. I decided I needed to upgrade and do some rearranging and settled on the Redding Premium Deluxe 3 die sets. Where practical I'm alway a guy who prefers to neck size but of course eventually you need to full length size your brass and these die kits include both neck and full length resizing dies.

Redding Premium Series Deluxe 3-Die Set 260 Remington

You can easily spend far less or far more than these run but I've always found Redding's quality to be excellent.

I also came across a really good deal on a Hornady Case Prep Center recently and couldn't pass it up and man am I glad I did, what a time saver!

Donna and I sat in the truck for about ten minutes last night watching four different herds of does feed and it sure made us think of you and the kids. That's a whole lot of Tamales, Sausage, Jerky and Hamburgers on the hoof!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.