6.5x284

I have to agree with previous posts. If you have a 6.5/284 that shoots .348 groups at 300, an STW that shoots 1.5" at 700, and a 25-06 that shoots zeroes you should be shooting for $$$$. I'll sponser you if you'll agree to split the winnings.

Consistent 1.68 inch groups at 1000 yds ? The gunsmith that made that one is about to become a squillionaire .

I can see I need some guns rebuilt.

300 yard groups in the .35" to .52" range! A precision of .12 to .17 MOA, pretty good.

Golf balls at 1000 yards, repeatedly. Just for clarification, a golf ball is 1.72" across. Even a grazing hit would qualify as a hit so we'll add .263 (for a .001 graze) to each side and get a 2.246" "hit area". Precision is .21 MOA BUT accuracy is .11 MOA!

Where's that slacker gunsmith of mine??? I NEED a 6.5 x 284 that shoots under .2MOA. Rem 700 Long Action, steel (or lunium) bottom metal, no fancy bolt knob, screws, bolt handle and such beefed up for the klutz of course... a benchrest precision rifle that I can carry (and drop or drown on occassion).

With all fairness to 'Froggy', if this is even remotely accurate, and I don't see why they would post stuff there that couldn't be verified, he's one hell of a shot. I'll admit, my number one 'problem' when it comes to shooting is consistency in grip, trigger pull, cheek pressure, you name it. On the days when everything is in sync, I scare myself a little. Ya know, the 'where in the heck did *that* come from?!?' kind of 'scare'. And 'why the <bleep> can't I do that more often!'.

But where the stories go from a 4" clay pigeon at 750yds (**** fine shooting, but plausible) to a golf ball at 1000... smacks of urban legend to me.

Monte--that target at the 6mmbr site is actually accompanied by several more fired from his AI on his loading room wall.

I dont know exactly how often W means when he says "repeatedly" but it isnt that hard to hit skeet fairly regularly with a good 1k gun, a golfball should be able to be nailed about half as often. also a direct hit isnt needed to move the golf ball so that opens up the "hit" area a little more.

i will have to talk to the frogman to get details
wink.gif

JB

[ 09-02-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

Guys I'm not much of a horn tooter but when it comes to money and shooting the proof is in my bank account......LOL.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I can get on a golf ball in fair conditions in three shots n smack it around pretty good as long as it's not dead center then who knows where FK it went.
cool.gif

George Gardener of GA Precision rechamberd my Kreiger 28in 81/2 twist 6.5-284, this man is a genius gun smith, I shoot 5 shots into a ragged hole routinely with both my 6.5 and 308.

If you want a gun that shoots talk to George and if you don't believe the Golf ball thing bring big bucks
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I shoot Lapua brass, 142 SMK, F210, 50g 4831SC with this lot of powder

38793598-efe4-02000180-.jpg

Fmsniper, Krieger makes a great barrel as well as many other of the top manufactures, I would reccomend you go with 81/2 twist and have it chambered for 142g pills.

As stated in my previous post GA Precision knows this chamber and knows how to make them shoot.

As far as Amo goes you will never realize the full potential of your new gun unless you reload for it .02 worth

Froggy

I have no problem with the "I can get on a golf ball in fair conditions in three shots n smack it around pretty good as long as it's not dead center then who knows where FK it went."

Of course initially I'm thinking... first round hit and additional smackers after that too...that'd be right fine shooting, not that getting on it in 3 rounds and hitting it after that isn't remarkable too.

Thanks for the clarification(s).

I already called Chris at GA (I bothered George yesterday so it's his day "off") and we chatted about a new rifle for me. Chris mentioned your rifle and the rechamber as he recalled the event(s). I got to be careful about mentioning my desires as George and/or Chris will have the **** thing built and I'll be scrambling looking for funds to pay for the critter. I mentioned 6.5x284 (Norma chamber I guess), the 260, 6 XC (?), 6.5 WSM or WSSM, still toying but I already have a bunch of stuff for 6.5x284 (Wilson die sets, Lapua cases, 140s and 142s).

My biggest problem with precision shooting at long range (sub . (point) MOA) is I like the 3.5 x 10 Leupolds and don't want to get another 5.5 x 22 NXS or bigger Leupold(6.5x20 LR).

Now back to our regular programming...

6.5 x 284

If your gonna build a long range gun you can't compromise on the glass, 20 power min that 10pwr ain't gonna get it.

My 5.5x22x50 NXS is the ****, love that scope and the NPR2 make hold off's a breeze.

Whatever it is you decide to build, have George build it, you won't regret it.

Cheers

Froggy, I shure would like to see you shoot.
JB1000 and I have shot togeather before. I have broken 5 clay birds at 500 yards in a row. That's not saying mutch. It was fun though. Hitting a golf ball at 1000 must be a hoot.
smile.gif
How meny clicks do ya have to put on to get out that far.
confused.gif

[ 09-02-2004: Message edited by: Youngblood ]

Youngblood from my log book last shoot here are the numbers I used based on my shooting conditions.

1000yds come up 27.25, where I shoot the altitude is 1550ft temp 75deg, baro 28.26, humidity 49 wind at 5mph from the rear.

Too bad we don't live closer together because I would bet you a $1000.00 you can't replicate your .3" group @ 300yds. And another $1000 you can't smack a golf at a thousand yards consistently.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Calling the BS out of DBS and FROGGY.
wink.gif

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: 308WIN ]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts