6.5x284

Pros and cons of the 6.5x284.
The 6.5 -284 is a great cartridge . I use Lapua brass and also neck down too a recently built 25-284 using the same sizindie by changing bushings . Make sure you get either a 1-7 , 1-7.5 or minimum of a 1-8 twist . It take a standard bolt face will work in a short action but is best suited for a medium action . A long action will work also , especially if you decide too throat it long and shoot heavy for cal bullets . The 6.5 - 284 with 124 gr Hammers will give 3200 plus fps with a 24 too 26 in barrel.

Pros and cons of the 6.5x284.
Fast accurate efficient great selection of bullets cons would be hard to find loaded ammo short barrel life if it's a 6.5x 284 Norma you should build it on a long action
5B77555B-1B56-4AAB-992E-B5BF538B7ED1.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Fast accurate efficient great selection of bullets cons would be hard to find loaded ammo short barrel life if it's a 6.5x 284 Norma you should build it on a long actionView attachment 378027View attachment 378028
Was considering going to a different caliber may have this barreled action for sale in a month, New barrel just installed 15 rounds through it so far

I own 2 rifles chambered in 6.5x284. I absolutely love the way they shoot. Accurate and forgiving recoil. There are a lot of high BC bullets like Hornady ELDX, Accubond LR, Berger Elite Hunter that are amazingly accurate. Lapua brass is my preferred case. I've developed many good loads with IMR 7828 SSC, Hodgon H4831 SC, Hodgon H100V. This is my recent build. Only 50 rounds and I'm sub MOA at 300 yards. Just beginning to see the potential. Only cons I find:
- No good factory ammo
- can be a barrel burner, but I try and keep velocity around 2900 fps and this will reduce wear.

Attachments

• 754E8571-6BDD-4725-A310-469F8904930B.jpeg
    754E8571-6BDD-4725-A310-469F8904930B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
I own 2 rifles chambered in 6.5x284. I absolutely love the way they shoot. Accurate and forgiving recoil. There are a lot of high BC bullets like Hornady ELDX, Accubond LR, Berger Elite Hunter that are amazingly accurate. Lapua brass is my preferred case. I've developed many good loads with IMR 7828 SSC, Hodgon H4831 SC, Hodgon H100V. This is my recent build. Only 50 rounds and I'm sub MOA at 300 yards. Just beginning to see the potential. Only cons I find:
- No good factory ammo
- can be a barrel burner, but I try and keep velocity around 2900 fps and this will reduce wear.
How do you like that AG Composite stock? Which one is it?

I have owned used several rifles chambered for the 6.5x284 Norma almost exclusively for LRH over the past 15+ years. The 6.5x284 has accounted for dozens of game/varmints taken over the years out to 1200+ yards, has displayed "Benchrest Grade" accuracy, and has proven to be utterly consistent in its reliability, terminal performance on game, and superb ballistic performance. IMO, 2950-3050FPS, using 130-155gr bullets is the "sweet spot" for the 6.5 caliber. It provides the perfect balance of accuracy, consistency, killing power, barrel life, and manageable recoil. Using a Norma spec chamber, and well proven Lapua or Norma brass, the 6.5x284 is very easy to reload. The very well designed case feeds perfectly in standard sized med/long actions. Few hunters I encountered over the years were familiar with the 6.5x284, and IMO, one of the best kept secrets. When one was familiar, they were often tainted with the mis-guided information of the 6.5x284 being a "barrel burner". This reputation was largely born of the "Internet Butterflies", with mis-interpretation of the 6.5x284's use in competitive sports, and being contrasted as a hunting cartridge. Long strings shot in the warmer months, common in competition, produce short barrel life. In reality, there is little difference in average barrel life between the 6.5x284 to most all its counterparts, (including other caliber sizes) when subjected to the same severe shooting conditions with a cartridge capable of delivering +1800FPS and +1000FPE at 1000 yards. As the 6.5PRC, a ballistic twin to the 6.5x284, has come on the scene, this has been well born out. The two, subjected to the same shooting conditions, produce comparable barrel life. My LRH rifles can get +1500 rounds before a .25MOA loss of accuracy…Hunting use, carbon free, shot only cool/warm. The biggest "con" of the 6.5x284 has been the availability of factory ammo. Having started life as a popular wildcat, and due to the plethora of custom/differing chamber dimensions in existence for many years, ammo producers didn't see a large enough market, and did not want to assume the liability due to different chamber dimensions. The SAAMI 6.5x284 Norma spec(an excellent specification capable of handing high BC bullets) that recently came about was, IMO, too late , with the introduction of the 6.5PRC sucking most of the oxygen out of the air. The irony is that, the 6.5PRC, has issues with its SAAMI spec dimensions(Google: 6.5PRC issues). This seems to have resulted in a recent resurgence of shooters/hunters that hand-load, considering the well proven 6.5x284N. I'm quite content with mine!

I believe that is the killer on the 6.5-284N is the availability of factory ammo, I do plan to build one for myself in the next year. That is why the PRC will gain the popularity through factory ammo, not a lot of people like to load there own or so it seems when I talk to others in stores in the gun isle's.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of factory rifles that've offered it. If all the manufacturers got on board years ago there'd be plenty of ammo available. Same with 260rem they were the creed and PRC years ago. It's all in the marketing and at the time they weren't the go ticket. If you can find factory ammo it's stupid highly priced.
Aside from that it's a wonderful cartridge I researched saved and planned for years to build one. When my local shop got a dozen boxes of prc ammo in cheaper than I could buy decent brass I changed my mind.

6.5X284 - This is mostly a cartridge for the hand loader and custom build. Build it with a LA and you can load some heavy long bullets.
We have designed a tight Reamer from JGS along with a PTG Throater for any changes (original cut for SMK 142gr). Have several Krieger 1:8 barrels straight 1.25" up to 32", BAT Action Single Shot Dual Port, McMillan XIT, NF Atacr & Razor HD Gen III, Bix Andy Triggers.
Originally making for "F" Class and the range close to us suspended "F" class matches for 2022 so not in a rush to build. Have several thousand bullets, Lapua Brass, Primers, and a variety of Powder.
Should start building soon? Just need to put the barrels in the lathe and start turning. Should be a shooter.
I think that it is a really nice caliber. The 6.5-06 was and still is popular in "F" class and hunters are looking at the 6.5 PRC that has similar ballistics. The PRC just has problems getting components.
For hunting we really like the .260 for shooting the 6.5mm. You want a little more OMMPH for Elk at longer range get the 6.5X284.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of factory rifles that've offered it.
I believe that is the killer on the 6.5-284N is the availability of factory ammo,
- No good factory ammo

Norma makes several different loads for the 6.5x285 Norma cartridge. In fact I just bought a few boxes of this on sale loaded with the 156 gr. Oryx to test.

Nosler makes several loads also for the 6.5x284 cartridge.

Federal Premium lists 7 different loads for their Custom line of ammunition. Pricey like most custom ammunition.

But above and beyond these manufacturers, the 6.5x284 Norma is certainly easy to load for whether you're a hunter or target shooter. There is a substantial number of bullets and styles to choose from, brass is more available now from name brand manufacturers and you should buy primers in reasonable amounts if you need them.:eek:

he very well designed case feeds perfectly in standard sized med/long actions. Few hunters I encountered over the years were familiar with the 6.5x284, and IMO, one of the best kept secrets. When one was familiar, they were often tainted with the mis-guided information of the 6.5x284 being a "barrel burner". This reputation was largely born of the "Internet Butterflies", with mis-interpretation of the 6.5x284's use in competitive sports, and being contrasted as a hunting cartridge. Long strings shot in the warmer months, common in competition, produce short barrel life. In reality, there is little difference in average barrel life between the 6.5x284 to most all its counterparts, (including other caliber sizes) when subjected to the same severe shooting conditions with a cartridge capable of delivering +1800FPS and +1000FPE at 1000 yards.

Those of us who have been shooting this cartridge for quite a while all agree with this analysis. Far too many internet experts make the claim of this being a barrel burner without clarification, when in fact nearly every cartridge, when applied to rapid fire conditions, can be noted as being a barrel burner.

The 6.5x284 Norma is a fun cartridge to have whether it's being used for hunting or targets. The design, except for the case length is nearly ideal. I use the Defiance XM action for this and a couple of other intermediate length cases. The 3.200" magazine is great for the longer bullets.

:)