6.5x284

ronnie1972

looking to have a 6.5x284 built with a remington long action rechambered from a 270. this rifle will be used for whitetail size game out to max of 600yds. looking to see what would be the best barrel length,and what twist
will be using 140vld or 140accubond
if anyone has any load data and would like to share it i would really appreciate the information
what type of brass, primer,powder and velocity are u getting with these loads?

My benchrest rifle is chambered for 6.5x.284 on a 700 long action. Built by Bobby Hart @ www.rwhart.com I have a 1 in 8.5 twist and 30" Hart bbl. For a hunting gun I would probabyly go with a 26" tube. I'm using Berger 140gr VLD's over 48.5gr of H4350 (be sure to work up to that starting around 43gr) Federal 210 Gold Medal Match primers and Lapua brass. I'm getting 2950fps.

I have several 10 shot groups under 10" at 1000 yards. Best group so far was 6.8" New dies and a better scale should get me some better groups this year.

Working on some test loads now with 142 Sierra and 144 Lapua's with H4831SC.

If you have any other questions shoot me a PM or give me a call.

The Berger 140 VLD may perform at lower impact velocity than the Accubond which would be the case at longer ranges. So, I might lean towards Berger.

Having said that, Accubond should still be plenty good at 600yds. So, pick one and stick with it until you find your load.

1 in 8" is the recommended twist for 140 VLDs. With 1 in 8.5" probably being adequate as illustrated by pacowboy.

A 26" barrel should be plenty for a 600yd rifle.

I have most of the parts set aside for the same build. But, the Savage 111LRH is pretty compelling for the price point. It comes in 6.5x284 with a 1 in 8" twist and a 26" barrel.

Happy hunting!
Richard

You will find good accuracy as well as velocity with a 140 Berger VLD, Fed 210 or 215, Lapua brass and 56.5-58 of Retumbo. With a 26" tube you should expect somewhere between 2950-3050 depending on where you end up. I have seen just as many rifles that get lower SD and ES with a 215 as I have with a 210, give both a try and find your sweet spot. Hope this helps

thanks for the help,i am about to start getting ready for the gun rebuild.
has anyone used h4831sc with the 140vld- which is suggested by berger.
i have 6.5 weatherby that is loaded with vightavouri n560 and get around 3255fps with a 24inch barrel with a 1and9 twist

this may seem like a dumb question but i was just looking a shilen barrels and they chamber for 3 -m 6.5x284. winchester,norma,lapua
what is the difference. is the norma or the lapua more popular

this may seem like a dumb question but i was just looking a shilen barrels and they chamber for 3 -m 6.5x284. winchester,norma,lapua
what is the difference. is the norma or the lapua more popular

To my knowlege they are all the same thing. There is a 6.5x.284 Hoover that you will see every now and then as well. Only thing different on the Hoover is the neck diameter is .296. I just contacted John Hoover in the last month to find out what the difference was with that case. My rifle has a .294 neck and I HAVE to turn my brass. I am working with H4831SC this weekend. I will load up a few Berger bullets and let you know how it works out. I was going to try Sierra 142 MK and Lapua 144 Scenars as well. My 144's are FMJ so they won't work as hunting bullets but they make a hollow point as well. I have seen heavier bullets made for it but 144 is about as far as I want to go.

You may or may not get a tad better velocity out of N560 and possibly Retumbo based on what others are posting. But, I doubt you will get 3000fps out of a 26 inch barrel or better accuracy or consistency/temp stability than with h4831sc.

I use it because it's one of the dominant powders in competitions for this cartridge and I get good results from my rifle.

The 3 chamberings go back to the original wildcat. I lost my notes from talking with Shilen about ordering one of these, but you can call them. You most likely want the Norma chamber since that's now the official standard.

You'll note that even new Lapua brass is made for the standardized cartridge and the box is labelled "6.5-284 Norma".

Good luck!
richard

I've been shooting a 6.5 - 284 Hoover for over 10 years, and couldn't even begin to count how many I've built. I've shot 142 SMK's,140 A-max and 140 Bergers out of these with superior results. For my 1000 yard bench guns I run 30 barrels with a 1-9 twist pushing the 142 SMK around 2975 fps with 53.5g H4831SC, Fed 210 primer, and Lapua brass. I turn the necks to .014" wall thickness and my chamber has a .296" neck with a 1/2 degree lead angle. All of mine have preferred to be seated at the lands to as much as .005" off. This rifle has shot several 4" and 5" groups at Williamsport and is a consistent 6" gun or less on normal days. For my woodchuck rifles I run a 27" barrel and between 51 and 53 g H4831SC with a 140 A-Max or Berger at around 2950 fps. Always start lower and work your way up in powder charge.

The difference between the 6.5 - 284 and the 6.5 -284 Norma is so slight it's disgusting. According to Dave Kiff's reamer print the 6.5 - 284 Win has a 1.8943" measurement from base of case to neck/shoulder junction. The 6.5 - 284 Norma has the same measurement listed as 1.8978" A whopping .0035" difference. The other measurement difference is the rear of the case on the Win is .5042" and the Norma is .5025" The only other differences are in the neck diameter (Win .301" and Norma .297") and throat which could be changed easily with out changing head space which by the way are the same for each the Norma and Win. My 6.5 - 284 Hoover is the same as a 6.5 - 284 Win with the exception of the neck dia. and the lead angle. There is also the 6.5 - 284 Shehane and I'm sure other wildcat versions of the 6.5 -284.

Last edited:
the 140 berger never shot as well as the scenars in mine. i have shot a lot of the 123 and 139. i use 120 balistic tips for hunting. i did not get as good groups with H-4831sc in mine. i use mrp-2; mrp ;and h-4350.

26 barrel for a hunting rifle would be perfect. For accuracy the 140 berger vld is hard to beat. I use 58 grains of retumbo with lapua brass and federal 210 primers. The retumbo powder is temperature stable powder which makes it a great choice for a hunting load. This is a compressed load but I never saw any pressure signs. Play with the seating depth for overall accuracy.

I shoot 6.5x284 in F Class competition but haven't shot any game with it.

I have two loads I shoot and both have been very accurate. I shoot Moly out of my 6.5 so if you aren't shooting moly these loads will be too hot so be careful and start with lower powder charges. Accurateshooter also has a good page dedicated to 6.5x284 which includes lots of load data.

Rem 700 long action
26" Krieger 1:8.5 twist

(Most accurate load)
139 Lapua Scenar (MOLY)
Lapua Brass
CCI BR2 primer
48.5 gr. H4350
Seated just touching lands
approx 2875 FPS

140 Berger (MOLY)
Lapua brass
CCI BR2 primer
50 gr. RL 17
Seated .002 off lands
approx 3012 FPS.

I have the Savage LRH and my velocities are very close to SXwatson. Further, I have never been able to afford a custom rifle for myself but have played with a bunch, the LRH 6.5-284 is more accurate than any similar weight hunting rifle I have fired and as accurate as a few of the BR rifles. My max load with Lapua brass and a Fed 215 is 51.5 RL17 velocity is 3120-3150 depending on what can the powder came from. SD is in the low single digits. Mine likes the 130 VLD a little better than the 140 though, and it works VERY well on deer out to 320 yards, that is the longest shot opportunity I have had so far on a deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.