6.5X284 rifle

I have a Remington 700 trued bolt with custom barrel (forgot who). mounted on mag pull 700 hunter stock and Burris xtr II. Rifle was a "budget sheep rifle " the gun shoots as good as any I have ever been behind. Single hole @100 2"@400 4"@1200 this is what it did last time I shot it. Shows you don't have to go completely custom to get custom results.

I have to agree with guys who say get a Savage long action and go from there.

That's what I did. Put mine in a Boyds stock and it out shoots me big time! With me behind it, it shoots MOA out to 600yds. That's the longest range I have access to.

I bought the barrel here off this site. It was a Savage pull off, but it still shoots great! I found a donor rifle (used the action only) at a pawn shop for $200.00.

I'm in process with a 6.5x284 build using 700 LA, and a Bartlein 3B contour light bull sporter barrel fluted barrel. I'm pondering what stock to carry with. Any advice? Or should I start another thread?
I built a 6.5x284 on a 70's vintage Remington 700 long action and Bartlein barrel that was an incredible shooter. I used an 8 twist 26" Varmint contour, McMillan A3 stock, Huber Concepts trigger.

E5F6A284-3483-4374-84A1-199DD6C37ED9.jpeg C530DDEC-E088-45FD-A660-50FB7AFFF02A.jpeg

I love my Nosler Liberty in 6.5x284 Norma. It was $1250.00. It has a PAC NOR barrel, rifle basic trigger, and a Bell and Carlson stock, and has A black nitrate coating. The only downside is the 24" barrel. It shoots Nosler ammo well enough I don't reload for it. Good luck with your new rifle.
Jason

I am selling a custom Shehane on gun broker right now in 6.5 X 284. It is an amazing bench gun.

I'm in process with a 6.5x284 build using 700 LA, and a Bartlein 3B contour light bull sporter barrel fluted barrel. I'm pondering what stock to carry with. Any advice? Or should I start another thread?
I have quite a few 3Bs and they all sit in Manners EH-1 stocks, a really nice combo.

I'd also recommend Cooper. My Modell 52 has given me eight seasons of superb accuracy and reliability with over 50 game animals taken from 150-1200 yards. While I expect several more seasons out of my barrel, the no-cost barrel replacement program is icing on the cake! Also, about the same time I acquired my Cooper, I had won a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 that was perfectly chambered for the 6.5x284 Norma, delivering sub .5MOA performance for several years with a wide variety of bullets, shooting best with 140
Berger HVLD's. With no loss in performance or throat wear. at over 1000 rounds, I re-stocked(MPA Lite Chassis) and re-barreled with a Criterion Light Palma 26" barrel. This LRH set-up at #12 weight delivers Benchrest performance to 1000+ yards.

Greyfox,
I was waiting on your post !...
Ditto on the Cooper. I have owned two of them chambered in the 6.5-284. Their customer service is like nothing else in the business. A live beating-heart person picks up the phone every time. I ordered the new Timberline for my son who is active military. He was given "leave" during hunting season this year. Cooper finished out his rifle ahead of its production schedule so my son would be able to hunt with it when he got home. I will always have a Cooper in
my gun safe.
Both shoot .25 MOA

I picked up a used Savage 116 LA from a well known individual on this site. It had a 30-06 barrel on it and an extra new Savage barrel in 6.5x284. He swapped the barrels out for me. I was amazed at how accurate this basically stock rifle was. Multiple times during load workup, I'd get 2 bullets in the same hole. Long story long, I shot it so much I torched the barrel. It's getting a new 26" Krieger barrel in a varmit contour. I can't wait for my smith to get done with the rebarrel so I can start shooting it!!

Thanks for all the replies. I really do like the Coopers. I've never had the privilege of owning one. Now might be the time. Again, thanks.

I'm picking up my new 6.5/284 Norma this morning, 26 Douglas barrel, timini trigger, on a model 700 action, aluminum bedded. Mounted a leupold a VX 31 LRP on it. I'm pretty excited to start loading and shooting it

I built a 6.5x284 on a 70's vintage Remington 700 long action and Bartlein barrel that was an incredible shooter. I used an 8 twist 26" Varmint contour, McMillan A3 stock, Huber Concepts trigger.

View attachment 115362 View attachment 115363
Wow. I changed my mind at the last minute and went with a #3 contour 26" Bartlein fluted barrel trying to shave some weight for a carry gun sitting in a HS Precision aluminum bedded stock. I'm hoping for similar accuracy as you've shown. I hope I won't regret the lighter barrel with this hotter caliber. I'm impressed with your pics. Thanks!

Preliminary results are in. 54 gr of RL 26. 140 Berger VLD hunting, 30/1000 off lands yields 1/4 moa. Velocity is not yet where I want it. I started with unfired brass. I figure after reloading same brass I should be very close to 3000 FPS. I'm very impressed with this 12# bench rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.