6.5X284 rifle

jeye78

I would like to get some incite and ask who manufactures this caliber (6.5X284) besides Savage. I'm thinking about getting this caliber and don't have a thing against the Savages but wanted to see what else is out there if there is even any. Thanks.

I second Cooper. I purchased one of the original Model 21 Varmint Extremes. They build very accurate rifles and their customer service was excellent when I needed it. Short story I was eager to get more velocity out of a 17 Remington when I was new to reloading a long time ago. Messed up the extractor I believe. They fixed it and shipped it back to me in record time since I was taking it on a varmint hunt. I hear their barrel replacement policy is pretty exceptional as well.

I would like to get some incite and ask who manufactures this caliber (6.5X284) besides Savage. I'm thinking about getting this caliber and don't have a thing against the Savages but wanted to see what else is out there if there is even any. Thanks.
Do you already have a rifle you could use as a donor for the action? If you have either a Savage or a Remington 700, you could check out Northland Shooters Supply and pick up a Savage prefit or Remage barrel chambered in 6.5-284. I have 3 of their Remage barrels- they're made by Criterion and are very high quality. You pick your contour, twist rate, length, and chambering. Call James- his customer service is top notch.

I'd also recommend Cooper. My Modell 52 has given me eight seasons of superb accuracy and reliability with over 50 game animals taken from 150-1200 yards. While I expect several more seasons out of my barrel, the no-cost barrel replacement program is icing on the cake! Also, about the same time I acquired my Cooper, I had won a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 that was perfectly chambered for the 6.5x284 Norma, delivering sub .5MOA performance for several years with a wide variety of bullets, shooting best with 140
Berger HVLD's. With no loss in performance or throat wear. at over 1000 rounds, I re-stocked(MPA Lite Chassis) and re-barreled with a Criterion Light Palma 26" barrel. This LRH set-up at #12 weight delivers Benchrest performance to 1000+ yards.

Last edited:
I have a Fierce Edge topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 and it shoots lights out to 1000 yards. Not to finicky about the loads either. It does shoot the best with the factory load they recommended but it shot everything I loaded in it under an inch.

I have two of them built one on a Husqvarna HVA Action and one on a Kimber Montana 84M Action, both have Benchmark #1 contour barrels

I have a third one on the way being built on a Stainless Weatherby Mark V 6 lug action and a #2 Fluted Benchmark 24"

Pick up a LA donor rifle, a barrel and your good to go.

I have built 3 of them off of Remington LA actions and Krieger 1x8 twist 26 inch barrels. I used Greybull stocks on all three. After fouling the barrels and final lapping. I'm getting .500 groups using Berger 140 hunting VLDs over 58 gr of H 1000. One of the rifles took a 10 point Kansas buck at 800 yards this year and I have taken Wyoming Speed Goats (Antelope) at 750 yds. Just get good optics!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.