6.5x284 norma vs 6.5x47 lapua

Here is the load data for our 6.5X47 Lap imp.

140g Berger
Reloader 15 @ 40g
CCI BR4 primer
2.890 COL
2964 fps

22" Mcgowen bull barrel.
Stevens action.

This was where the accuracy was best. It did run up over 3000 fps. I am not claiming that it will out run the 6.5-284, I am only claiming what it will do.

The only other thing we did was Gun Juice the barrel.

We chronographed with two back to back set up at 15ft. The two chrony's usually vary by 3fps.

Again I think the OP should go with the 6.5-284 using the long action. But as far as what you put into it and what you get out, the 6.5 Dasher is the top of my list. It almost runs with the 6.5-06 with 15g or more less powder.

Steve

Can I get some of your RE15, 37.5grns of mine is flattening primers in my 7-30waters with a 130 grain SMK at 2.880", I'm guessing you got a better batch!

I don't believe ANY of it..
QL cannot be fooled into those numbers with every trick in the book. But if were reached as claimed from a ~51grH20 case, the pressure woulld be 80 to 90Kpsi!
And from the smaller Dasher case, full of pistol powder to get 3000fps, the pressures go over 110Kpsi!!

But assuming this somehow happened, it certainly is NOT a 'good' load....
I don't think a Rem action could even handle it

That's what I was saying, no cure for stupid! Someones about to hurt themself! It takes a pretty stiff charge from a 260AI in a 26" barrel to break 3k and that's not very easy on cases!

I don't believe ANY of it..
QL cannot be fooled into those numbers with every trick in the book. But if were reached as claimed from a ~51grH20 case, the pressure woulld be 80 to 90Kpsi!
And from the smaller Dasher case, full of pistol powder to get 3000fps, the pressures go over 110Kpsi!!

But assuming this somehow happened, it certainly is NOT a 'good' load....
I don't think a Rem action could even handle it

Mike,

What does QL say that load runs at? I don't know, but perhaps both chrony's are not working correctly.

Steve

I'm sorry you f#/@ing genius, I wasn't aware that I had to be asked, I think that's why this is a forum.

if the 6.5x284 is soooooo great why do i beat them at every f-class match with my 6.5x47 rihgt out to the 1200 yard line? explain that one to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.