6.5 SLR vs 6.5x47 Lapua

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
I have narrowed my new build choices to the 6.5x47 Lapua or the 6.5 Super LR. The rifle will be built on a Rem 700 SA with a 24" barrel. I want to keep it around 8 lbs and it will be used for deer out to 500 yards. I know there are numerous other calibers to choose from but these are the two that I would like to discuss. I have larger and smaller caliber rifles so this is just something fun to fill in a niche.

The 6.5x47 Lapua is just inherently accurate, Lapua brass is available, small rifle primer and can push 130 grain bullets to 3000 fps.

The 6.5 Super LR appears to be the best of all 6.5mm calibers wrapped up into one. Brass can be formed from .243 or .260 brass and has more volume than the 6.5x47.

I am leaning towards the Lapua but the Super LR peaked my interest. I would like to get feedback from anyone that has used both or either caliber. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
what exactly is the super LR? 260 improved?

Looks that way. They push the shoulder down to make the neck longer and give it a 30 degree angle. Here is the site I found on the 6.5mm Super LR.

6.5 Super LR

It's a very interesting cartridge. I just don't know if it will catch on or fall into obscurity like so many wildcats.

I have only experience with the 6.5x47 lap. It is the most impressive little cartridge. The Lapua brass is excellent and able with the small primer to push high pressure very well. I have been able to run it right with a 6.5-06 with much less powder. Very efficient. We did add a small shoulder improvement to the Lapua that I am sure adds a little better velocity.

Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy either one. I really like the 6.5 cal, it kills like lightning.

Steve

We copied the 6mm dasher but left it 6.5. So I guess you could call it a 6.5 dasher. Basically a 40deg shoulder Ackley imp. We ran the 140 bergers at 3000 then backed it down to 2950. I'll have to go look up what powder it was. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Steve

We did purchase the reamer and have dies made.

Last edited:
70,000 psi plus??? And barrel life like a 6.5-06? I would sure like to see the real pressure to get 3000 fps from 6.5 x 47 with a 140 Berger and what barrel length?

There are diminishing returns with increasing case capacity, but that is the only way to get more velocity.

I would like to see 6.5 x 47 in a barrel, say 26 in loaded to a given pressure level, say 60,000 psi, then rechambered to 6.5-06 and run to the same pressure level. I bet you get an increase in max velocity. I see something similar with RL 17. 100-150 fps gain, but when you look at the pressure, when listed, it is 10,000 psi higher for RL 17.

I would like to see 6.5 x 47 in a barrel, say 26 in loaded to a given pressure level, say 60,000 psi, then rechambered to 6.5-06 and run to the same pressure level.

It would be interesting if someone did a comparison like that for different cartridges in the same caliber but the two you mentioned work in different length actions so kind of a moot point. Keeping things in a SA, I don't know if you would see a big difference in pressure and velocity when working up to a safe load.

70,000 psi plus??? And barrel life like a 6.5-06? I would sure like to see the real pressure to get 3000 fps from 6.5 x 47 with a 140 Berger and what barrel length?

There are diminishing returns with increasing case capacity, but that is the only way to get more velocity.

I would like to see 6.5 x 47 in a barrel, say 26 in loaded to a given pressure level, say 60,000 psi, then rechambered to 6.5-06 and run to the same pressure level. I bet you get an increase in max velocity. I see something similar with RL 17. 100-150 fps gain, but when you look at the pressure, when listed, it is 10,000 psi higher for RL 17.

It is a 26" barrel.

Steve

I have seen a 6.5x47L run 140's at 2950 ish out of 30" and if it is a fast barrel, it would be close. Let us know what you choose in the end and how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.