recoil difference? 260rem vs. 6.5x47 vs. 6.5x284

I know there's lots CM haters around but.........

I would think the 6.5 Creedmoor would be an excellent choice for a youth or lady hunter, accurate with low recoil and a multitude of affordable ammunitions available as well as most rifle companies offering it chambered in their lineups

It's the most popular cartridge on the planet right now so it just makes sense !
Nothing wrong with the 6.5x55 but where I live you have better chances of winning the lottery than finding a box of loaded 6.5x55 ammo !

Yeah the 6.5x55 can be tough to find at smaller places though the big stores in the city seem to have them. The issue I found when I had one was the "premium" ammunition was too hot for the old rifle (an older Voere) - both Nosler and Hornady 140's would stiffen up the bolt to be very hard to open. I do handload for all that I have now so can tailor the load to the gun. If I got her a 6.5x55 I would want it on a modern action that can take the higher pressure loads. Guess it'll be what I can find that fits, pretty much stuck on a 6.5 though and ... she's a lefty just to make it harder to find. May just find an action and build it for her.

Last edited:
Dude a 6.5x55 has super light recoil even in a lightweight rifle.
I would buy a tikka in that caliber or 6.5 Creed.

Haven't shot a creed but it should be the same as a 6.5x55 or 260.
The only way you're going to get lighter recoil is if you go to a 6mm

Haven't shot a creed but it should be the same as a 6.5x55 or 260.
The only way you're going to get lighter recoil is if you go to a 6mm

Yeah not too fussy about them. The 6.5's will cover everything she is going to shoot and well you know women - unless it's shoes I get the what do you need more than one for? So I will get her a 6.5 something and she will be happy to go hunting. And finding a woman that wants to go hunting with you is pretty rare. For the funny guy that'll show up - no there isn't a big life insurance policy naming her beneficiary.

I have 6.5x47 Lapua, 260AI and 264WM.
I have also used 6.5-284 Norma and 6.5x55. These 2 recoil almost the same, the 6.5x47 recoils less than the 260 or 260AI and, the 264 recoils the most by far. When fireforming 260AI brass, the recoil is about the same as 6.5x47 top loads.
Other than the 264, none of these have recoil that you can't see hits/misses with in heavy target rifles, but have enough jump in a sporter for you to not see hits through the scope.
I see the recoil of the various small case 6.5's like that of the 243/6mm, it just isn't there really.

Cheers.
;)

If you are OK with a 6.5x55 Swede....
The .260 Rem is basically a 6.5x51. Parent case is .308 Win (7.62x51 NATO pretty much, but less.pressure)
The 6.5x47L is slightly less.
The 6.5CM would be right between, like a 6.5x49...
If you are a reloader, the 6.5 SLR is awesome. .260 capacity with neck/shoulder of 6.5x47L. Slightly more than a 6.5CM.

You can always go with a 130 bullet to reduce recoil even more. Or even a 120.

Or go down into the 6mm line. 6CM, 6x47L, .243 Win, 6 SLR, 6XC, 6 Dasher, etc. Shoot a 95 to 115 bullet.

As for felt differences, all are pretty similar. I have a .260Rem, 6.5SLR, have.loaded for a LOT of 6.5CM, a few 6.5x47L, and am currently loading up a 6.5-.284 Norma. Not much difference. Between 39gr of H4350 to 52 gr of IMR7828SSC to 46gr Supwrformance to 45gr RL26. The 6.5-.284 Norma might have a bit more recoil, but not much. Everything can push a 140 from 2750 to 3100fps. All will kill deer sized game to 600-700 with proper shot placement

Last edited:
I have all the 6.5's mentioned in this thread except the 6.5X47 and 260.

The 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun would work out to 300...maybe 400 on deer. But not in a gas gun (AR platform). I just finished my 2nd gas Grendel this weekend. No range time yet, but from my reading on the Grendel site and my first Grendel...a 300yd deer...nope I will pass that shot.

My vote...goes to...

6.5 Creedmoor!

That is what I built for my wife. She is small framed and very dainty. She shoots it all day with out any issue. It will put the hammer on about anything in the lower 48.

hey guys, got a question of comparable recoil. what other cartridges could these be likened to? in an equal weight rifle.

I own the 6.5's you mention. With same weight rifles, with 140gr bullets, the 6.5x284 will feel like a 270/25-06. The 260/6.5x47/6.5CM are virtually the same and will feel similar to a 243W. If recoil is a major concern, with a good pad, and muzzle brake, the "felt" recoil will be difficult to distinguish between them, and similar to a 22-250 with the 6.5x284 having more muzzle jump then the 6.5L and 260.... IMO.

My .260 Remington is about 15lbs with a muzzle brake. It only has a very small recoil impulse. It's comparable to shooting a .223 Remington!! I love it.

My .260 Remington is about 15lbs with a muzzle brake. It only has a very small recoil impulse. It's comparable to shooting a .223 Remington!! I love it.
Lol. 15 lbs. might be a bit much for her to carry...
It sounds like, from most of the replies her, that pretty much any of the 6.5's with the exception of magnums are going to be fine for her. Thanks all for the input! Now to find a lefty in one of them

Get a 6.5 creed and use 120gr bullets, recoil will be minimal. Muzzle brakes are also an option. My 6.5 weighs 13lbs and is braked...recoil is basically non existent. One other factor to consider is short barrels, the muzzle report for a 22" or 20" barrel is much more than a 24" barrel in my experience. For some people the muzzle report bothers them more than the recoil. When I was a kid I hated shooting blackpowder because of the boom! Followed by the cloud of smoke.

Yep...weight of rifle is of bigger concern than what cartridge in a 264 cal...
My wife's ruger 260 compact 16" barrel does shoot well and with the Boyd's thumbhole stock that I cannibalized weighs just enough and fits her smallish frame well...no discernible recoil...fun and economical to shoot...i have loaded plinking rounds and hunting....maybe 7#+...

I'm pretty sure you can get a 6.5 scoped and ready to hunt under 10lbs. If you add a brake you will not have any noticeable recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.