6.5X284 load starting point please

Rugerdiggs

I have recently purchased a custom remington 700 trued and blued long action, 26" rock creek barrel with 1:8.5 twist, and trying to get a few loads to start from. I picked up some 140gr berger vld hunting bullets, 100 pieces of lapua brass, and a set of hornady series II dies and got a microjust seater stem on the way for it as well, i have a few pounds of H4350 and some CCI BR2 primers, hoping to get a good load from this mixture. My rifle should be here in a week or 10 days. Just trying to get a few loads to work up to hopefully with the components i have. Any thoughts on bullet seating depth would help as well, its on a long action.

All help and suggestions will be appreciated, thanks rugerdiggs

With the bergers there is only two seating depths i'd start with, .010" in the lands and the same amount out. I'd start with 48grns H4350 and work up, you'll likely start seeing pressure at 53grns. H4831sc will give you more speed and H1000 will probably give you top velocity and neither should hinder accuracy, they may make your extreme spreads a little higher but not much.

I use the 140 Berger VLD in my 6.5x.284 as well,I also load for three of my friends that have the same(more or less) rifle. I use 52.7 grains of H4831sc(less affected by tempature changes), lapua brass, federal 210 gold match primers and seat my bullet .10 off the lands.This round is insanely accurate for all of the rifles.I started the charge out at 52.0 grains and .20 off the lands and worked up to the 52.7 grains.Remington 700 long action to accomadate the long rounds in the magazine. My barrrel is a 28" Krieger 1:8 twist and all the work has been performed on the action,trigger is a Jewell set at 12 oz. LOVE IT ! I find you get a more accurate measurement on the VLD if you measure from the ogive to establish a COAL. Hopes this helps--good luck ! gun)

Thanks to the both of you, what kind of velocities are you getting with your loads with the H4831sc and or the 4350, and the ES's if you have the data. I had thought about getting some of the 4831sc but since i already use the 4350 was going to try it. Do you think i would gain alot by going with the 4831 instead of the 4350?

Whats the best way to measure from the ogive, i have a couple of calibers but usually just get the COAL.

thanks again

I dont have the exact info. at hand(its in the shop) but the velocities are generally around 3000 and the es are low. I have a friend that shoots 4350 and his work up range is between 47-49 grains,he is .10-.15 off lands depending on the rifle( he does use federal 210m primers and not cci). I think you can do fine with either powder,cant advise on the primers as I have never used CCI. I use the hornady bullet comparator to get my ogive coal.Without looking in the shop,I think that current number is 2.478. I get a good bit of varience measuring to the tip of the VLD and way more consistance measuring to the ogive.I do this(now) for all of my calibers.While I'm no exspert,I do know this set up works very well for me and several of my shooting buddies.I'm sure some of the very knowledgable people on this site can offer a different view point on this subject.Hope this helps some.

Using Norma brass with 139 lapua scenars, my oal to the ogive is 2.368", to the tip they measure from 3.131-3.135", I use both Imr and H4350, 48.7grns Imr and 48.5 grns of H, both with CCI BR2s, I normally get an average of 3021fps with a 3-4fps ES (30" barrel) I have ran Imr4350 all the way up to 53grns with heavy bolt lift and hit 3182fps but its not safe and is very hard on brass. If the best of both worlds is what your looking for you can likely get 3100fps from your 26" barrel with 55-58grns of H1000 with the BR2s and still have an ES between 10 and 15fps.

Using Norma brass with 139 lapua scenars, my oal to the ogive is 2.368", to the tip they measure from 3.131-3.135", I use both Imr and H4350, 48.7grns Imr and 48.5 grns of H, both with CCI BR2s, I normally get an average of 3021fps with a 3-4fps ES (30" barrel) .

I would be very happy with 3000, would settle real easy for 2950 with that small of a ES if its hitting under a 1/2-3/4 " at 200. I had rather hit the same place twice a tad bit slower than hit an inch apart if you know what i mean. Thanks alot, trying to get me a comparator on order.

Backwoods,

was going to ask if you seated your scenars .010 from the lands?

Have read nothing but really good accuracy on this caliber, will be pacing the floor for a few days waiting on it. Bad thing is if its not here by saturday i will be another week without getting it due to being gone out of town for training. But if thats the case my nice wife will have it picked up and waiting on me when i get there.

thanks again

I have a coupLe of 6.5x284's that I shoot 140 Berger hunting bullets. The barrels are 24 and 26" but both can get 3050FPS but have found the best accuracy is produced at lower velocities. Interestingly, both rifles produce the best accuracy of .25-.5 MOA at 500yards consistently with a seating depth at .075" out of the lands.

Two very good loads in both my rifles are:
Lapua Brass, FL Redding, neck size at .292"
53gr. H4831SC , Fed 210M , 2945FPs ,ES 5-10, Savage LRH, 24" barrel
59gr. Retumbo, Fed 215, 2965FPS, ES 5-10, Cooper 520, 26" barrel

Yes I keep the scenars .010" which takes a little chasing after a while with the throat erosion. I jam all my match rounds but the scenars are still accurate with a .194" jump, I shot some at saami length to see how they would do. Sometimes as mentioned you can get the Bergers to shoot good by jumping them but not to often.

I am using Nosler brass CCI 200 primers and 52 grains of H4831sc and measuring 2950 out of a 26 inch barrel and about .4 MOA with 140 gr sierra match kings . I will probable switch to federal 210 gold match primers here shortly.

Not to hijack the thread but I have a few questions of my own while everyone is here.

I am working on a load for bergers and have been thinking about switching to H1000 can I really get an extra 150 fps? Also I was wondering how much of the next do I need grabbing the bullet it seams when my bergers are close enough to the lands only about .15 inches of neck is grabbing the bullet.

Sounds like your seating depth is getting a little close, I like to have a minimum of .125" of the bullets bearing surface in the neck, and definently no less than .100" at that point its time for a setback/rechamber. H1000 may give you an extra 100 fps with CCI BR2s or WLRPs, but you should get some norma or lapua cases, preferably lapua but I have had good luck with norma, the pressure to produce close to 3100fps in a 26" barrel will probably destroy nosler cases.

Thanks

I have a friend who says one bullet diameter of neck should grab the bullet so I though I was way off. Is the velocity worth the extra pressure? Also I have bushing dies so should I use a smaller bushing to get the grab that I need?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.