Another .300 RUM starting point load question.

G

As you can see I have been on this site for a long time and doing a lot of reading. I also was looking for a good gun that I could afford. I ended up getting a Custom built Rem 700. McMillian stock, Heart Barrel, Blueprinted action, plus a bunch of other parts and things such as a Leupold 6.5X20X40 VXIII LR Side focus. So the gun is all ready to go but now its work up a load time. Gun has never been sighted in yet with the new scope but the rifle is broken in and has 80rnds down the tube and was shooting .400 with Federal Factory ammo.
I purchased a bag of 100 Rem brass. Reamed out the primer hole and used a Lyman VLD neck reamer. I weighed all the brass and picked out 50 cases that weigh all within 1 grain of each other. Is that close enough or should I cull them down closer. ?
I have a couple pounds of Retumbo and Remington 9 1/2M and Federal 215M primers on hand. I also am thinking of using the 200grn Nosler AB bullets to start with if the gun likes them.
So which load combination using what I have would make a good starting load to sight in the rifle. Once I get started I plan on using only one load and I need it to be able to shoot out past 1500 yds if it can. Will this work or am I headed in the wrong direction. I know I am still going to have to get a differant scope base and am looking at a Leupold 15 MO one piece base. I already have rings to match.
For right now though I just want to get a load worked up and see what its doing over the crono before I go any further. Its been a real learning curve getting this far and pretty much all from reading on this web site.
So whats a good Retumbo load using the primers I have on hand and the bullets.
Thanks in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
Reamed out the primer hole and used a Lyman VLD neck reamer

[/ QUOTE ]
I certanly hope not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.
I would say to start with a loading manual, if you email sierra asking for the correct 300 rum data they will email it to you.

A 1grain spread on your brass will be fine. Use the other brass for fouling shots after you clean etc. It sounds like you are well on your way.

From the Hodgdon website http://data.hodgdon.com
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Order BW Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
200 GR. NOS AB 200 Retumbo .308" 3.600" 89.0 2904 56,400 PSI 95.5C 3048 62,400 PSI

Anyplace in that range (89gr-95.5gr) should be good, approach the upper end of that range with caution. The pressures you will recieve will depend on your particular rifle and your particular brass and powder lot.

And to think I even proof read that post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
No I didn't ream the primer pockets with my vld reamer. Forgive me it was gitting late and I had been renovating the lawn all day as my lab pup had decided she heard voices and was trying to dig the guy up I guess. 2 or 3 times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Then I started working on the brass after that. Did I tell you a brew or two goes good with yard work> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Hodgdon says 89-95.5 with the AB but I have a hard time trusting the powder companys info as I have had a problem here and there over the years. Didn't know if there was a problem out that I should be watching for.
By the way, the reason I posted a maximum range of 1500 yds is I plan on poping a praire puppy at that range. Just for self satisfaction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Its also going to be my elk rifle if I haven't burnt the barrel out trying for the PD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hodgdon says 89-95.5 with the AB but I have a hard time trusting the powder companys info as I have had a problem here and there over the years. Didn't know if there was a problem out that I should be watching for.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what its worth, Quickload shows a max load of 95gr, with a load density of 103%.

Don

AJ Peacock, I use quickload and at 95 grains it shows unbelievable pressure. I know quickload is wrong, but for some reason yours is correct. Did you tweek anything, because I spent good $$$ for the progrma and it seems to be a waste.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the hijack.

[ QUOTE ]
AJ Peacock, I use quickload and at 95 grains it shows unbelievable pressure. I know quickload is wrong, but for some reason yours is correct. Did you tweek anything, because I spent good $$$ for the progrma and it seems to be a waste.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double check the OAL length, as a very deep seating will really spike the pressures. Mine shows a cartridge length of 3.598. Also the Water capacity for the brass can cause a big change, mine shows 113gr

If those aren't the problem, take a screen shot and email it to don_peacock at hotmail.com and I'll compare the rest of the values.

Don

AJ, what range does it say the bullet will go back subsonic. I don't have a program as yet that gives me that info. Been spending all the extra cash on things like brass and dies and bullets and cases etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I don't want a max load but do want one that will give me enough volocity at 1500 yds to pop a Praire dog. I think the 92 grain area will probably be where I end up or in that vacinity if it likes the load.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.