6.5prc to 7saum conversion?

I am having more clicker issues with the 7 Saum than I am with 6.5 PRC.
I am using ADG for both.
The issue I am having with PRC isnt clickers but bolt won't close on once fired brass.
I can tap or beat the bolt closed then they fire and they extract easily.
Spent almost 5k each to build. Going to have to work on both, royal pain in the butt to deal with just to shoot.
I've heard the same with the saum line. Any cartridge can have clickers.

It's not a design flaw, it's from smiths using reamers that are worn out, creating chambers that are under-sized.
I can see that as a possibility. When reamers are sharpened, there's material ground off and I can see it being out of spec. Now how many barrels it takes to do that maybe is where the issue is, and that's where these other guys are saying wrong…..I really don't know. I can see it either way, maybe some will elaborate why it can or can't be this or that.

Yeah its a saami reamer design flaw, and one that Hornady continues to replicate.
I sold my 300 PRC after months of resizing frustration, this is why the PRC is great for factory guys and super lame for the custom crowd that handloads
I'm one of the custom guys that's been handloading for 50 yrs , I'm fixing too load some this morning for my 6.5 PRCs . No problem with clickers or over pressure. I haven't lost one primer pocket with the PRC Horn brass and I load hot . For the few that have problems Thousands shooting the 6.5 PRC don't.

I've heard the same with the saum line. Any cartridge can have clickers.

I can see that as a possibility. When reamers are sharpened, there's material ground off and I can see it being out of spec. Now how many barrels it takes to do that maybe is where the issue is, and that's where these other guys are saying wrong…..I really don't know. I can see it either way, maybe some will elaborate why it can or can't be this or that.
I don't know the cause, however, the reamer for my 7 saum was brand new and I'm am having major clicker issues with warm loads in once fired brass.

I've tried 2 dies and they are bumping the lower case .005 less then virgin brass.
I'm going to order a custom die and see if that fixes the issue.

I get clickers when running my 284 Win with really warm loads but that's where it lives. I guess I can have a good smith fix that with a bolt adjustment for primary extraction but never did. I know it's there so I slap it up all in one motion. No biggie to me.
It's a great cartridge when running top end... biting on the heels of my 280 AI and 7 SAUM.

Hornady shouldn't have too anyone knowing Smith work should understand that a reamer can get out of spec if it's not measured too the max and minimum, they sharpen them , so they change dimensions.
You need to do some more research on this prc issue friend, I'll leave it at that

I don't know the cause, however, the reamer for my 7 saum was brand new and I'm am having major clicker issues with warm loads in once fired brass.

I've tried 2 dies and they are bumping the lower case .005 less then virgin brass.
The cause of clickers results from the reamer being too tight where the cartridge base sits.
The PRC reamer specs are designed way too tight and most rifles need a custom reamer to fix Hornadys design flaw.
Generally .005 clearance over virgin brass diameter is ideal to ensure the die can size the base down enough to chamber the case freely.
There's always case spring back so a tight chamber will have issues.
Are you saying your fired cases are being sized .005 less than the diameter of virgin brass??
Cuz it's impossible to size the case head down below virgin specs without cracking your die.

Point being you may have a reamer problem and a die might not fix it.
Measure the fired diameter and see how much it expanded over the virgin brass, if it's less than .005 you need a new reamer.

I borrowed a reamer from a very nice guy to open the base of the 6.5prc case at the .200" datum line and I also ordered a Hornady custom die to shrink in down even more. Through out the whole clicker issue of the 6.5prc, some have mentioned Hornady being good at making a custom die to what YOU want. With doing so, you don't have a warranty. I don't remember the sizes I went with but I can look at the die box and it will have the information on it for the dimensions. If anyone needs that, pm me.
What I do to not break the die is I first FL resize with a forester die, trim, debur ID OD neck turn then size back down with the Hornady so it don't have all the stress on the die from just fired to .528 or whatever. I'm wanting to say I had them make it for .528 then with spring back it's around.529". Have to measure and look.

What does clicker mean? I searched this forum and the Internet and could not find the answer. Presumably there's some kind of fault that makes a "click" sound? I'm certain it's not a misfire problem otherwise the word "misfire" will be used.
Thanks

What does clicker mean? I searched this forum and the Internet and could not find the answer. Presumably there's some kind of fault that makes a "click" sound? I'm certain it's not a misfire problem otherwise the word "misfire" will be used.
Thanks
My understanding is that a case sticks after firing, requiring more force to break it free. When it unsticks, it makes a clicking sound.

If it was a design flaw than every rifle chambered would have the same problem but that's not the case.
Wrong again...almost.
It is a very well known issue. Tons of factory rifles and custom rifles have the issue.

So much so, that Alex Wheeler came out with a reamer design to clean up a SAAMI chamber and fix the problem. For both the 6.5PRC and the .300PRC. I hope Hornady figured this out and doesn't make the mistake yet again with the new 7PRC.

Last edited:
My understanding is that a case sticks after firing, requiring more force to break it free. When it unsticks, it makes a clicking sound.
Kind of. It is the primary extraction that clicks hard. Like you have a hot slightly overpressure load. Normally doesn't happen with virgin brass. Only on subsequent reloads, because the SAAMI dies do not size down fired brass enough to fit well in a SAAMI chamber.

It's a factory rifle.
It's a Proof Elevation MTR.
Virgin brass work flawlessly. Then I amp anneal, fl size, Henderson trim, wet tumble, mandrel 2625. And load.
80% of the loads I have to literally tap or beat the bolt down. When I take the round out I don't see any marks on brass or bullet. When I go to put the same round in I have to tap/beat it back in.
They fire well with no increased pressure signs and velocity the same as those that feed fine.
Shot a 60 round f-class with it today. Sd for the 60 rounds was 9.1 at the target.
After firing the round feeds and extracts easily.
Headspace is fine, lower case at .200 is good, trim length is good, the only thing I can think is the chamber neck is too tight.
I can't fit a round into a spent case. Going to try turning the necks from .0135 down to .012 and see if that solves the issue.
Any other suggestions?
Once you've processed your brass have you tried chambering it before loading powder and a bullet to see if it chambers? Any problems with extraction on the virgin brass once it's fired?