6.5prc for hunting

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by HR Pearson, Jun 14, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. HR Pearson

HR Pearson Member

I was wondering what everyone is having the best results with factory ammunition actually hunting and not target shooting, are most of animals you all are shooting dropping in their tracks or short/ long tracking job? Thanks

2. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

I just got my rifle 2 months ago so I can't comment on the killing part of it but I really like the round

SpotOn12 and HR Pearson like this.
  3. huntsman22

huntsman22 Well-Known Member

147 eldm's hammer deer.....
    [​IMG]

JimboAZ, waspocrew, VG961 and 6 others like this.
  4. HR Pearson

HR Pearson Member

Nice Deer and rifle

5. Tatsnscoots

Tatsnscoots Active Member

I have not been hunting with mine, but a good friend of mine is shooting Hornady Precision Hunter exclusively in his. He has taken an Aoudad at 300 yards, shot 2 hogs with 1 shot at 100 and a couple other sheep in Texas with that load. All DRT. He is also a big reloader of other calibers and swears by this ammo, even for target shooting at long range. He says he won’t invest in dies for PRC because Precision Hunter shoots so good out of his rifle for the price.

HR Pearson likes this.
  6. Longshot284

Longshot284 Member

I took my Muley last season at 419 with one and the 147 Eld-m. Absolutely stoned him - DRT.

JimboAZ, HR Pearson and PCarr like this.
  7. ronstone09

ronstone09 Well-Known Member

ive had great luck on moose with 180 gr. fed fusion ! stops them in their tracks

HR Pearson likes this.
  8. OLI62

OLI62 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

143gr. ELD-X at 334 yds. Hard quartering away shot. He went about 30 yards and dropped.
    [​IMG]
    143gr. ELD-X at 408 yds. Broadside behind the shoulder. Went 20 yards and dropped.
    [​IMG]

9. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

I’ve shot a yote and 2 beavers with the factory 147 match. Devastating.

HR Pearson likes this.
  10. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Where you hit them and under what conditions makes the different. Placement, not displacement.

There are no magic bullets, if you want to drop them in their tracks you have to interrupt the CNS.

5Spot and kiwikid like this.
  11. OhYtD

OhYtD Well-Known Member

I can't speak to what Hornady's gonna do, but it has been a pain trying to get my hands on factory loads. I have a couple of local shops keeping an eye out for me. Right now Bertram is out of stocok but Ryan said it should be in soon.

12. OLI62

OLI62 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Are you looking for brass or loaded factory ammo? If loaded factory ammo, SWFA is sitting on a decent amount of both Hornady 147 gr. Match and 143 gr. Precision Hunter factory ammunition.