6.5mm Bullet Performance

hank shaper

I am playing around with a 6.5-300WBY. I am curious what experiences you Pros have had with different "target" bullets as far as accuracy and performance on game. I am interest in the Horn. SST, A-Max and the Sierra Match kings. I know from this site that the Accubond works well , but I wanted to shot 140 gr. and the Accubond is 130gr. in 6.5mm. I expect them to have a muz. vel. of 3400. Their performance on game will be at long distance. I expect the slower down range velocity to let them work adequately on deer size game. Am I right?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Hank

My 6.5x284 shot the 142 and 140 smk really well. I think the 140 shot a little better but I am talking .1 to .05 at 100. It did it every time so I think it liked the 140 more. I used it on muledeer with good results. They would run 30-40yds then over they went. I would use them again. I would probably use them on elk short range from what I seen.

I had the best luck with 140 A-max's in my 6.5-284. Wish I could give you a first hand account of terminal effects, but that will have to wait till next year. I will say that I wouldn't want to shoot a deer with one at a near 3400 impact velocity, would want long range only.

I also forgot to say that I have killed a bear with the 140gr. sst along with a couple of coyotes. Bullet did well just were not as accurate as the smk.

Thanks Everybody!

I am going to the range tomorrow if the wind lets me. I have five different powders and two different bullets. I'll let ya' know how they shoot and at what vel.

Hank

I've had real good luck with the 140 A-Max's in both of my 6.5X55 Swedes out to a little over 300 yards. I'm shooting at a much slower muzzle velocity than you're talking about so you should have real good performance down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.