6.5CM 140gr AccuBond Load data request

ColoradoElkHunter

I want to start on some new loads for this inexpensive Savage with a 22" barrel. I want to load 140gr Ballistic Tip and/or AccuBonds. Nosler doesn't show the powders I need to use except for H4350. Hodgdon doesn't seem to recognize that Nosler bullets exist. They show a generic A-frame or a Honady bullet. I realize I can just start with something and work the load from there. However, I am hoping another member is already shooting the 140gr AccuBonds using a 22" barrel with success.

Powders I have and would like to use are:
H4350
StaBall 6.5
H4831SC
IMR 4166
IMR 4451

New Starline or Nosler LRP brass. Also have Winchester LRP brass available
CCI 200 LRP

This load will be used exclusively for hunting mule deer and possibly cow elk under 300 yards. Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations. As always, each gun is different so I am just looking at starting points specifically focused on the Nosler bullets.

I want to start on some new loads for this inexpensive Savage with a 22" barrel. I want to load 140gr Ballistic Tip and/or AccuBonds. Nosler doesn't show the powders I need to use except for H4350. Hodgdon doesn't seem to recognize that Nosler bullets exist. They show a generic A-frame or a Honady bullet. I realize I can just start with something and work the load from there. However, I am hoping another member is already shooting the 140gr AccuBonds using a 22" barrel with success.

H4350
StaBall 6.5
H4831SC
IMR 4166
IMR 4451

CCI 200 LRP

This load will be used exclusively for hunting mule deer and possibly cow elk under 300 yards. Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations. As always, each gun is different so I am just looking at starting points specifically focused on the Nosler bullets.
Look at Hadgdon web data. It doesn't give the exact bullet but the Hornady Amax would get you what you want

Look at Hadgdon web data. It doesn't give the exact bullet but the Hornady Amax would get you what you want
See that's exactly my problem. Is the AccuBond more like the A-Max or like the A-Frame? Hodgdon shows two completely different C.O.L. numbers. I thought AccuBonds were more like the A-Frames

Li

H4350
StaBall 6.5
H4831SC
IMR 4166
IMR 4451

CCI 200 LRP

ke the A-frame and Ballistic tips.
Starting Staball numbers. IMR 4451 is right 5% faster than H4350.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210904-160857_Hornady Reloading.jpg
    Screenshot_20210904-160857_Hornady Reloading.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 198
Li
ke the A-frame and Ballistic tips.
Starting Staball numbers. IMR 4451 is right 5% faster than H4350.
Thank you for this info. Exactly the kind I am hoping to get. Your image shows the COL for the GMX. Would you suggest the same or similar COL? Hodgdon is suggesting a 2.700 COL with the A-Frame.

The Hornady has a different ogive than the Accubond. I would start with 2.750 and progress in .020 and watch your brass and primers.

Shoot groups with a "dirty" barrel (about 5-6 foulers), 3 shot groups for expediency. Don't clean the barrel until your groups go to pot.

I've done this many times for friends rifles and have been able to find more than acceptable groups. Those rifles were glass bedded and free floated and ensuring the front base, front screw does not touch the barrel threads (I've found that with lightweight Talley's).

You can fine tune later if you want. I realize this kind of goes across the grain but it works.

I have a .260 Mountain Rifle that drove me crazy. I cleaned and cleaned and shot and cleaned and shot again. Every 120'ish grain bullets were tried. No consistency. Fliers, blah, blah. I was so frustrated and was convinced I needed a new barrel. On the last trip when I hit "pay dirt" the rifle started with its usual fliers, etc. I had 15 rounds left in the box so I posted a clean target with 5, 1.5" dots on the paper. Shot 3 at each one without stopping. It was in July (in TX). After I got to the 9th shot the group shrank. The barrel was almost glowing. Smoking hot. By the time I hit 13, 14 and 15 the group was well under an inch. I kept it dirty for about 50-60 shots then groups went back to crapola. Cleaned and didn't worry about the first 9 anymore.

Saved myself a rebarrel and had a monster in the bag.

See that's exactly my problem. Is the AccuBond more like the A-Max or like the A-Frame? Hodgdon shows two completely different C.O.L. numbers. I thought AccuBonds were more like the A-Frames
Don't look at it as being an identical twin because it isn't they are say closely related. Just work up a load for a 140 gr bullet get your happy spot seating depth. This stuff isn't always handed to you on a silver platter sometimes it's a paper plate and yo need to make do

Nosler's website shows 2.805" for the 140 accubond in 6.5 creedmoor. As far as powder, pull from whatever data you have access to, start low and work up. Every rifle/case/bullet is different.

Best I can do for you is the 140 AB in my Savage 260 Rem, 22" bbl. 44grs of IMR 4831, CCI#200 primer , Rem brass .2775 fps & very accurate & very safe in my rifle. Since the CM holds about 1 1/2gr less powder than the 260 Rem , you will have to interpolate a little. Wish I could help more..

I just finished working up some 6.5C loads with NOS 140 BT hunting and H4350 in Lapua LR brass. I loaded up to almost max listed Sierra manual for 140 grain bullets. Disclaimer: Nosler manual for 140's and H 4350 shows a max charge lower than Sierra manual, use caution in your particular rifle when approaching max listed powder charges. 24" BRUX barrel and 2730 fps MV.
C07F3224-ED61-448C-877B-960A20D77D51.jpeg

Last edited:
If it was me I d work up to 40.5-41 grs of H4350, seat .050 off lands and sight it in. If guns capable you ll be MOA or better and killed any mule deer or elk you get it your sights provided you place the shot. Good luck.

H4350
StaBall 6.5
H4831SC
IMR 4166
IMR 4451

CCI 200 LRP

I'd call Nosler and see if they have data on the powders you want to use. They have tried different powders that don't always make it to the published data.

If it was me I d work up to 40.5-41 grs of H4350, seat .050 off lands and sight it in. If guns capable you ll be MOA or better and killed any mule deer or elk you get it your sights provided you place the shot. Good luck.
Yep. You should get satisfactory results with H4350 starting here /\ and work on seating depth after you find what load groups best. Shouldn't take long as most 6.5 CM shoot well this combo in the 41.0-42.0 range.

***But... as we all know...always start low!***

Recent Posts