6.5 STW loads

tim jurczak

Hi everybody! I have Rifles Inc building me a new rifle in 6.5 stw. I have purchased quite a bit of WC872 to use with 140gr bullets but that may not be the best powder. I would like some other options for bullets in the 120-142gr range and get the powder ordered. I have 123gr matchkings already and trying to find some 140gr Bergers. (I think everybody knows how that situation is right now) Also looking to shoot 130 & 140gr accubonds. Thanks much in advance.

Tim J.

The only person that I know that had a 6.5 STW ended up shooting Barns bullets (120 TSX HP) because it shot so fast it would sling a cup and core bullet apart. I don't know what powder he used.

I read somewhere that Layne Simpson played with one of these and it turned out to be a really overbored bbl burner. I'd be curious to hear how it works for you.

Hicks

I actually still have the Sept 1999 issue of Shooting Times in which Simpson unveiled it. He included bullets from 85gr up to 160gr. There must not been much in the way of Vihta Vouri powders back then. Also not included is Retumbo, U.S.869, Win 780 supreme, or any of the ramshot powders. On top of that alot of bullets have come out in the last 12 yrs. I read in recently that he still uses his 6.5 STW more than the rest of that series so that was my green light to get project under way. Just looking for anybody's success stories.

Tim J.

Cool! That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I have one pound of h50bmg. 3550 fps is hauling the mail. I'm wondering how brass life could have been at that speed? I ordered Redding bushings FL dies so brass life should be good.

Tim J.

I can get 3400 fps out of my 28" barrel with the 140 using several different powders. H-870 is the best with single digit spreads. Retumbo also does well. The load I use most is a 130 scirroco at just under 3550 fps. This bullet is tough and will hold together at high speed when it hits an animal. BC is mid .5's. I have made some long fun shots on antelope and deer with it. It is fun to shoot. Just take care of the barrel and do not over heat it and you will be fine. It is one of the best long range rifles made. Check the ballistics of a .612 bc going over 3400 fps and you see what I mean. It is a very good rifle and very accurate.

Hi, I shoot a 6.5 dakota with 140g bergers at 3463, shoots great. Im using 76.5 grains retumbo and it shoots the same place day after day, .5 inch groups. Hope this gives you a place to start.

what twist is everyone using in there hotrod 6.5's?? I used the culp on the 142smk and it said it needed close to a 10 twist. Is everyone using a 8 or are you using slower twists?

I built mine many years ago and can't remember the twist for sure. I am 90% sure it is 1-9. I know it is not slower and I am pretty much sure I didn't use a 1-8. It is a very accurate cartridge and would recomend it to anyone shooting the 6.5 long range. My wife prefers shooting the 264 win mag because of less recoil. Both are fun but the speed of the STW is amazing for long range kills.

I have one gun with 1-8 and one with 1-9,both seem to shoot the 140 grain well with no problem as well as the 110 and 120 grain. I have shot over 1600 rounds,18 pounds of powder and my barrels are still good,limit my shots as to not get my barrel hot. My hottest loads,4018 fps with 100 grain, 3787 with 120 grain, and 3500 with 140 grain.

I was pretty sure mine is getting built with a 1-8" but now Long Ranger has me second guessing. Will check my billing statement and see. Has anybody seen or shot the Sierra 155gr Matchkings? Must have been discontinued?

Tim J.

Better stay with the 1-8 as many of the bergers state that is the best. Fast twist you can shoot them all,slow twist you will be limited to small bullets,my 2 cents

if you could roll time back 50 years you would find the most popular long range hunting cartridge in pa. was the 6.5x300 weatherby. that due to one bullet, the 139gr. norma. irronicly,it had a full metal jacket and was illegal for hunting there.
powder selections were very limited also. h870 was widely used as was 4831.
the cartridge lost its popularity there mainly due to better 284 bullets becoming available.
the 7x300 weatherby is still quite popular there and is about identicle in performance as the 7mm stw.
i would be looking at load data for the 7stw and using that as at least a starting point reference.
wc872 has about the same performance as h870.
im currently using 7828 in my 7x300.
that should work for you also as will rl 22, rl 25 and h1000.
i would think retumbo a bit slow, but others seem to be saying otherwise.

i am currently playing with a 6.5x300 wsm.
all bullet weights shoot very well. best powders for velocity have been rl19 and rl22, followed by 7828. my twist on that is 8.5.
i wanted a snug no turn neck chamber.
it is too snug and gives me pressure before max. velocity without neck turning.
be aware of that possibility when looking for velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.