7MM STW loads?

huntokanogan

I just bought a Remington 700 BDL 7mm STW. I have no experience with re-loading this caliber. Does anybody out there have a rem 700 STW? If so what bullets and powder does it like?
I was thinking heavier bullets?
I bought a box of Berger 168 grn. VDL's but was thinking I might want to go into the 175-180 grn. range?
Let me know what works for you.
Also, this gun is going to be used to hunt mule deer at ranges, not competition shooting so I need a good hunting round.

One more thing: I can't find the twist rate of this gun. It has a factory barrel. Anybody know what it is?​

Last edited:
I am a longtime fan of that caliber, Hence my screne name. I never did experiment with 168 bergers, but wish that I did. My load was 79.3-rl22 140 nosler CT bullet. Velocity was 3289 with 12fps std deviation and 6 fps extreme spread. It DON't get any better. That rifle shot .250 groups ANY day. I did shoot some 160 moly coated partitions that were also un-beleivable. Did ot chrono those but they were VERY accurate. .375 @ 200 yds. I found that rl 22 was best with lighter bullets, and 7828 with heavy bullets worked best. IMHA. Enjoy it and if you sell it, drop me a line. 7STW.gun)lightbulb P/S, rate of twist is 1 in 9

7MM STW-
haha...I don't believe I'll ever sell it. I think I found my new favorite gun! But if I do I'll let you know....don't hold your breath.
Do you use your rifle for hunting? I wanted to try some lighter (140-150 grn.) loads with it, but thought I would be better with the heavier loads for deer/elk? I could be wrong though. Thanks for the info on your loads.

Yes I did use it for hunting and it was absolute lighting on deer at literally any distance I shot them at. That rifle was as much fun to shoot at the range as it was in the field. I wish at the time I had that particular rifle that these VLD hunting bullets were around. I addition to shooting the 140 CT and partition, it also shot 150 grain bullets very well too. I no longer own that rifle and have hated myself everyday since I gave it up . I have a rifle right now that MAY become aother STW. In all of our shooting"careers' we always have one favorite caliber. 7MM STW is mine. It is slightly overshadowed by the 7mm Ultra-Mag, but not really by much. Have fun and enjoy.

180gr Berger VLDs (target or hunting) work very well with Retumbo. You should be able to find a node between 76 and 79 grains.

Reloader-22 has been my go to powder for the 7STW.I shoot 80grs with 140gr bullets and 77grs with 160gr bullets.

Yes I did use it for hunting and it was absolute lighting on deer at literally any distance I shot them at. That rifle was as much fun to shoot at the range as it was in the field. I wish at the time I had that particular rifle that these VLD hunting bullets were around. I addition to shooting the 140 CT and partition, it also shot 150 grain bullets very well too. I no longer own that rifle and have hated myself everyday since I gave it up . I have a rifle right now that MAY become aother STW. In all of our shooting"careers' we always have one favorite caliber. 7MM STW is mine. It is slightly overshadowed by the 7mm Ultra-Mag, but not really by much. Have fun and enjoy.

I have several boxes of factory loaded 140 CT ammo and am worried about it holding together at such velocities. Did you ever have a problem?

Thanks for starting this thread ... I am struggling with these same questions.

I am having a barrel made and am trying to decide whether to have it throated for 168 vdl or 180 vdl. This is for long range target mainly, but also hunting. I'm thinking 180 VLD for lr target, then 168 classic hunters from Berger for hunting. Berger tells me the 168s will jump well because they are specifically designed for SAMMI specs (3.65")

LewisH, are you into the lans or close? If so, what is your COAL? The action I will have can accommodate out to 3.950"

Thanks all.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.