264 STW Loads

Long Time Long Ranger

I tried the 129 grain Hornady SST out of my 264 STW this morning and was very impressed with the accuracy of this bullet. I shot two groups of 1.4"-1.9" at 400 yards with these bullets. The Hornady published BC is way low on these as Bryan Litz also noted when he tested them. They all weighed out very close when loading them without having to seperate into groups.

83 grains of retumbo was the best load shooting a 1.4" group at the 400 yard target at 3661, 3672 and 3659 fps. 80 grains of magpro shot a 1.9" group at 400 yards at 3648, 3653 and 3661 fps. I love to get this rifle out and play with it every once in a while. It is a super shooter and incredible deer/antelope special. The rifle is a sako action with a 28" 1-8.5 twist and Mcmillan stock.

I tried the 129 grain Hornady SST out of my 264 STW this morning and was very impressed with the accuracy of this bullet. I shot two groups of 1.4"-1.9" at 400 yards with these bullets. The Hornady published BC is way low on these as Bryan Litz also noted when he tested them. They all weighed out very close when loading them without having to seperate into groups.

83 grains of retumbo was the best load shooting a 1.4" group at the 400 yard target at 3661, 3672 and 3659 fps. 80 grains of magpro shot a 1.9" group at 400 yards at 3648, 3653 and 3661 fps. I love to get this rifle out and play with it every once in a while. It is a super shooter and incredible deer/antelope special. The rifle is a sako action with a 28" 1-8.5 twist and Mcmillan stock.

Man, that thing must be awesome. I have had a 6.5 itch for awhile now, and that sounds like a great way to go. I am sure that if I shot it, I would have to own one, (or steal yours, LOL) that's awesome . Have fun. 7 STW :)

I too have found that the Published BC for the 129g SST to be too low. I shot them this last year at 1000yds with my 6.5-06 AI at 3300FPS. I had to decrease the elevation adjustment by 2 MOA to hit on target. They are a great long range bullet and a good alternative to Bergers if your rifle doesn't like them. Mine won't shoot Bergers.

Dan

Shot some great groups out to 1000 yards with 79 grains 7828 and the 129 sst at 3710 fps. Seated 8 thousanths off the lands. Holding 1/2 moa at 500 yards and .75 moa at 1000.

I just ordered a box of the 123 Amax. Has anyone shot those at animals?

Not to get too far off topic here but I think many of the calibers show a low BC in both the SST and Interbond bullets. I have shot some 284 and 308's that are low as well. And one of the very nice features about both for LRH is that they need far less velocity to expand properly when compared to their competition. I have seen interbonds expand well down to 1500 fps and have read a few posts from guys that I find competent to say that they get good expansion all the way down to 1300 fps.

Very overlooked bullets IMO.

Scot E.

I agree, I have shot hornady bullets in every caliber for 40 years and they are very good bullets with excellent on game performance. I remember doing drop tests 30 years ago to 1000 yards with the hornady 30 cal 190 boattail out of a 300 wby. It shot way flatter than listed way back then. I used that bullet with good results on long range elk. Back in those days it and the 200 sgk were two of the best. We didn't have the choices we have now.

I have shot several animals with the 208 Amax and it is a fragile bullet but the size and weight helped it through. Just wondering about the 123 Amax in the 264 if it is to fragile to consider for long range deer/antelope. This rifle's twist is to slow for the 140 vld's.

I agree, I have shot hornady bullets in every caliber for 40 years and they are very good bullets with excellent on game performance. I remember doing drop tests 30 years ago to 1000 yards with the hornady 30 cal 190 boattail out of a 300 wby. It shot way flatter than listed way back then. I used that bullet with good results on long range elk. Back in those days it and the 200 sgk were two of the best. We didn't have the choices we have now.

I have shot several animals with the 208 Amax and it is a fragile bullet but the size and weight helped it through. Just wondering about the 123 Amax in the 264 if it is to fragile to consider for long range deer/antelope. This rifle's twist is to slow for the 140 vld's.

I don't have experience with that bullet but can tell you that the 168 gr .308 A-max works very well on mule deer and pronghorn on all but the closest shots. I shoot lower powered cartridges than you do though so you may need to be more careful a little further out.

Scot E.

LTLR,

I know you have mentioned your use with the 130 sciroccos in your 6.5's. Any reason you are using the 129sst over those. I know you like to test a lot of different stuff as well. I have a 6.5x284 thinking about trying the sciroccos in. The speed you are pushing them is very impressive.
Thanks
Bob

I use the 123Amax in my 6.5 Grendel they shoot great. That's what they were developed for. You might want to try nosler competition new 123 also. It's shape is similar to the lapua 123 but from base to where ogive would touch the lands is .1" shorter I belive. Which will allow for max magazine length in my Grendel I belive. I have a 6.5 stw in the works also. Hoping to got it ready before antelope season.

I used the 130 scirocos for a few years and they are the best performing bullet on game. The heavy copper jacket prevented me from getting top velocity out of the stw. I was out of the 130's and tried the 129's because they were there and needed to be shot. I was very pleasantly surprised with the high velocity and accuracy. The bc is showing way higher than listed according to my drops. This rifle is a deer/antelope special for the desert to ride around on two tracks. It is just a fun rifle to shoot for this purpose and drops animals like lightning.

Thanks for the 123 info. I shoot the nosler cc in other calibers and really like those bullets. Did not know they were offering one in 123 grains. How is the bc with the 123 amax compared to the 129 sst?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.