6.5 sherman gets facelift

elkaholic

The original 6.5 Sherman built in '09 had over 2000 rounds thru it and still shot in the .3's but I wanted to test out the new longer throated reamer so decided it was a good time to screw a new barrel on. I had "Bigngreen" do the work since my last 2 builds, the 6.5 and 7SS are shooting very well. I put the same barrel on as my first go around, a Lilja #4, 3 groove, 8 twist. Rhian put a nice cerakote job on it which I like.
I shot a few rounds to break in the barrel and get it dialed in and then loaded up some 150 Matrix with RL26. This was a first try so I kind of guessed based on past experience. The bullets were seated approx. .005" off the lands. I have not reached max with this load, but is the heaviest charge so far.
DSCF1257.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1255.jpg
    DSCF1255.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 129
Looks nice. Didn't know you were shooting a thumbhole stock Rich. How do you like it?

What's the distance on your group/target?

Looks nice. Didn't know you were shooting a thumbhole stock Rich. How do you like it?

What's the distance on your group/target?

That was at 100 yards. It is initial testing on new barrel and is shooting in the .3's so far. I have had the H-S thumbhole on this rifle since '09 and it is quite comfortable to shoot......Rich

Looks good Rich. That is the same load I am running with the 150 Matrix. I am around 3050 fps. I am at sea level. So far the RL 26 seems to work very well in the 6.5 Sherman.

Jay

Last edited:
Looks good Rich. That is the same load I am running with the 150 Matrix. I am around 3050 fps. I am at sea level. So far the RL 26 seems to work very in the 6.5 Sherman.

Hi Jay.....This rifle has a VERY tight throat which is starting to break in and pressure/velocity is dropping. i will likely be closer to what you are or increase the load a little eventually......Rich

I had a chance to get back out today and test the newly barreled 6.5 Sherman. It has been showing great promise under not so good conditions initially. I loaded up some 150 Matrix with RL26. The load was 60 grs. with a coal of 3.517' (just into the lands with the new throat). It was a cloudy, actually rainy day, so was eager to see what the rifle would do now that it is broken in. My plan was to shoot at 100 yds., chrono it, and then move out to 1000+ yards. I fired these 3 rounds (cold bore) and had to quit because it was raining too much to see through the scope. The barrel has settled in and the throat loosened up (it was tight) so velocity (pressure) has dropped off from early tests. This load turned up 3080' and was not at all high pressure. I may try to keep loading it up as long as accuracy remains good. I really like the fact that this rifle is only a #4 contour and the cold bore and follow up shots do not change. It is a 3 groove, 8 twist Lilja.DSCF1259.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.