6.5 rem mag build

JJgunsmith89

Hey all, couple of questions. I'm working on a 6.5 rem build on a 700 long action and I'm trying to decide on a few things. I've decided on a bartlien barrel in a Whitley Palma contour but can't decide on 24" or 26". Is the extra speed worth it or do I take a little less weight and a little more handiness. My other question is on chamber length. I would like to load it out but don't really know how long I should have it made. I was thinking the same as a 6.5x284 Norma as the cases are the same length. I should also mention this will primarily a hunting rifle but will pull double duty as my first long range gun, long range for me being 500 to 600yds to start with. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks JT
Ps. Sorry for such a long post

26" all day long. Take full advantage of the cartridge, personally I'd be trying to decide between 28 and 30". Let her eat! You will lose barrel as you set it back from throat errosion. Just my $.02, since you asked. Have fun, be safe.

You don't need anymore than 24" of barrel for this cartridge. This is my 6.5 Rem Mag build with a Bartlein 24" #4 in a Game Scout. It is also a 700 long action.

I load Berger 140 VLD's at 3.15 COAL

I can get speeds to 3,100 and not push it.

65RemingtonMagnum007_zps8b21e7de.jpg

Hey all, couple of questions. I'm working on a 6.5 rem build on a 700 long action and I'm trying to decide on a few things. I've decided on a bartlien barrel in a Whitley Palma contour but can't decide on 24" or 26". Is the extra speed worth it or do I take a little less weight and a little more handiness. My other question is on chamber length. I would like to load it out but don't really know how long I should have it made. I was thinking the same as a 6.5x284 Norma as the cases are the same length. I should also mention this will primarily a hunting rifle but will pull double duty as my first long range gun, long range for me being 500 to 600yds to start with. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks JT
Ps. Sorry for such a long post

One of my all time favorite cartridges.. I had one of the first Remington Model 700 BDL's when they first came out about 1970 ???? I believe , loved it. It was a very, very accurate rifle. It had a short action and many times I'd wished it was in a long action. The barrel was 24" "factory" there again I wished it could have been a 26" inch plus at the time. There's a lot of pros & cons when it comes too this great cartridge... but accuracy was never one of them. Once you shoot one for awhile, you'll always be a 6.5 Remington Mag guy. Just keep in mind, it's not the "have all end all" in the 6.5 calibers, but as a long range; target, varmint and hunting cartridge it will serve you well. With today's bullets, and hand loading... it's a meat ax!
Good luck.

morning, I have a 6.5 mag. build on a 721 action. Douglas select match barrel. blue

printed. the barrel is a #5 contour 27.5". extremely accurate. I suggest that u inform

ur smithy to lengthen the throat. I did not tell the smithy to lengthen the throat. so I

had to use a compress powder charge. Now this was not good. So started looking

for a bullet with a long ogive so I could seat the bullet out further so I would not

have a compress powder charge. I looked at the BC out certain bullets. came up

with the Lapua Scenar 108gr bullet, is a beautiful bullet. the BC which according

to the box is .464. I use 60grs of 4831sc, or ramshot mag. start with 57gr

work up to accurate load. recoil is moderate.

So I got one guy for 24" and two it would appear for 26" lol. My goal was atleast 3000fps with a 140 which sounds doable from a 24". I have some time yet to decide, I appreciate the response guys.
Thanks JT

More than anything look at your impact velocity for the distance you want to kill an animal.

Will that velocity be able to open up sufficiently your bullet choice. 500 to 600 yards you don't need a
long barreled smoke pole. You don't need it for a 1000 yd shot either. That's the beauty of 6.5 bullets.

I have rebarreled 2 actions for 300 win mags into 6.5 RM, one with a 26" Douglas #4 for me and one with a 26" Shilen for a friend. Easy to see I prefer a 26" barrel and I have hunted years with it and noticed no downside, even in a hunting blind. Don't see any problems with a 24" if that is what you decide. Getting the muzzle blast as far away from me as practical is my reasoning. I can shoot without muffs or plugs with no ringing in the ears

My load is with 130 gr Scirrocco II's and RL17 for 3175 fps. Maybe not THE most accurate bullet but downrange performance is astounding

When rebarreling I seated a bullet where I wanted it and told the smith to put the lands there. Picked a bullet with a long nose just in case and have plenty of mag room (300 win mag action) and can seat the bullet way out there

HPIM1163.jpg

HPIM1160.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

I would go with 26" and gain the extra velocity.
Mine is an Old Ruger flatbolt with a 22" Douglas barrel running at 2900 fps with H4350.

Looks like the greater majority says 26". Would anyone have any idea what the muzzle OD would be on a Whitley Palma contour cut to 26"? Also any ideas what I would get for muzzle velocity with a 140 Berger.

Strongly suggest that you run a longer throat than factory by a bunch! That was the downfall of the 6.5 RM in the first place. My recommendation is to have the gunsmith throat it so that you can properly seat the longest bullet that you intend to shoot. You have plenty of room in the magazine in a long action......Rich

morning, I should have gone with the 6.5AI mag. with the longer throat

would b a venison, varmit terminator machine. bullet selection would b critical.

the 6.5-.264 and 7x57-.284 caliber became popular after WWII. American

shooters noticed the accuracy of these calibers, both possess very good BC's and

accuracy. just jawing.

I was thinking the coal could be set the same as the
Much more popular 6.5x284 as both rounds share the same case length.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.