6.5 PRC Reloading

Just received my 6.5 PRC Havak w 24" barrel and tested the Hornady Match and 143 ELD-X factory loads. Best group was about .4" with the ELD-X. My dad handloaded some 130 Gr Sierra TGKs using Hornady brass with 51 gr of RL 17 and I shot a .125" 1-hole group shown below indoors at 100 yards. Also shot a .375" group with 50 gr of RL 17. I'm very impressed with Sierra TGKs and have not done extensive load testing. Also shooting a Thunderbeast 9" suppressor and the gun recoils like a 22. Can't say enough about the Havak and Sierra bullets.

Attachments

• 51 Gr RE 17 Sierra 130 TGK_4075.jpg
    51 Gr RE 17 Sierra 130 TGK_4075.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 308
I started reloading for my new 6.5 PRC. 24 inch barrel. just thought I would share some of my findings with my gun to get ideas and compare with others. The 147 eldm factory ammo shoots MOA at 200y. Chrono displayed 2750. shot a couple of boxes to get brass and cleaning between firings to set the gun in a little. Im using 140 elite hunters to reload. 57.5 grains retumbo ran 2750. 60.9 grains ran 3140. I ran into a very nice clover leaf group (200yds) with 60 grains which ran about 3050. adding .3 increments sped up rapidly and I felt the gun was pressured beyond this point. I definitely did not hit a flat spot with powder. I then ran some h1000. 57 gr ran 2850. 60.9 ran 3080. I havnt loaded hotter yet. nice flat spot in velocity and groups between 60.3 and 60.9. I didn't feel the pressure signs like I did with retumbo and the gun shoots good with it. retumbo had a lot of black soot around the neck while the h1000 did not. the groups are 3 in ragged hole with 1 out measuring 1 3/16. repeatable. I would like to hear others experiences. anyone using h4831? anyone long jumping a hybrid?
Started jumping 140 gr VLDs in my 6.5 PRC with 58.2 grs of H1000 after doing a ladder test and finding a node here (velocity of 2994 FPS). Followed the process according to Berger's website using 0.030" to start and ended with 0.120". 0.030" produced 5 shot groups at 100 of 0.50" while the jump of 0.060" produced a group of 0.37" and the 0.090" jump produced a 5 shot group of 0.095" (Not a typo). I used this same process in all three of my .260 Rems and it clearly works!

Started jumping 140 gr VLDs in my 6.5 PRC with 58.2 grs of H1000 after doing a ladder test and finding a node here (velocity of 2994 FPS). Followed the process according to Berger's website using 0.030" to start and ended with 0.120". 0.030" produced 5 shot groups at 100 of 0.50" while the jump of 0.060" produced a group of 0.37" and the 0.090" jump produced a 5 shot group of 0.095" (Not a typo). I used this same process in all three of my .260 Rems and it clearly works!

My PRC shoots the 140 Hybrids exceptionally well at .085" off the lands. I too used the Berger test to find the best spot.

I just rcv'd my 6.5 PRC and took it out for a spin with Hornady 143 ELD'X Factory ammo....OMGosh!! It's for real!! I only fired 10 total shots (for a base line)
Hope I can get these type of results but plan'n on better,go figure!! :)
first two rounds at 25yrds to zero scope
third round to see were it hit at 100yrds (4" high)
adjusted at ran 1st rd @ 7o'clock in button!!
ran 2nd and third shot thru each other @ 11o'clock in dah button!!((0.385))
then it was two at a time (with warm barrel) shot outside button but not by
very much. call it 0.650ish............Then I let barrel cool down to try a cold bore
shot with a quick follow up shot to end a 10 shot "get to kno her" dealio......
first round up and left @ 10o'clock outside button.
second shot was again down and left,outside button as well @ 8o'clock !!!
gonna call it a 0.750 ...... I kno I was a bit excited while doing this zero
and firing of 10 rounds but GEEZ,come on. I'm just a retired guy with time to shoot a couple times a week for fun. Man o man, I can hardly wait and begin to
start loading for this bad boy!! Oh,BTW....... I'm a light for caliber guy and
these 143 ELD-X didn't jump much at all. I shoot breaks on all my rifles,
regardless of caliber and was think'n I was gonna get a kick'n but to my
surprise,not really!! I'm guessing that down the road I'll thread it and put a
break on it,but for now,LOAD DATA first to see how it goes after a couple
hours behind her. I will surely be run'n 120 & 130's as soon as I get going.
I hope these few lines help some one on the fence with a decision weather or
not to try one. I'm sooo glad I did and hope to follow up with some Data to
help others out who may not have the time to find a node or two with at least
3-4 different bullet weights and manufactures as as well. Thanks to all for
suffering thru a long winded post... I'm Happy!! NSN

I just rcv'd my 6.5 PRC and took it out for a spin with Hornady 143 ELD'X Factory ammo....OMGosh!! It's for real!! I only fired 10 total shots (for a base line)
Hope I can get these type of results but plan'n on better,go figure!! :)
first two rounds at 25yrds to zero scope
third round to see were it hit at 100yrds (4" high)
adjusted at ran 1st rd @ 7o'clock in button!!
ran 2nd and third shot thru each other @ 11o'clock in dah button!!((0.385))
then it was two at a time (with warm barrel) shot outside button but not by
very much. call it 0.650ish............Then I let barrel cool down to try a cold bore
shot with a quick follow up shot to end a 10 shot "get to kno her" dealio......
first round up and left @ 10o'clock outside button.
second shot was again down and left,outside button as well @ 8o'clock !!!
gonna call it a 0.750 ...... I kno I was a bit excited while doing this zero
and firing of 10 rounds but GEEZ,come on. I'm just a retired guy with time to shoot a couple times a week for fun. Man o man, I can hardly wait and begin to
start loading for this bad boy!! Oh,BTW....... I'm a light for caliber guy and
these 143 ELD-X didn't jump much at all. I shoot breaks on all my rifles,
regardless of caliber and was think'n I was gonna get a kick'n but to my
surprise,not really!! I'm guessing that down the road I'll thread it and put a
break on it,but for now,LOAD DATA first to see how it goes after a couple
hours behind her. I will surely be run'n 120 & 130's as soon as I get going.
I hope these few lines help some one on the fence with a decision weather or
not to try one. I'm sooo glad I did and hope to follow up with some Data to
help others out who may not have the time to find a node or two with at least
3-4 different bullet weights and manufactures as as well. Thanks to all for
suffering thru a long winded post... I'm Happy!! NSN

Yea! well congradulations on committing to a fine cartridge. i love mine. been shooting it for a while now and have reloaded for it with some fine results. your gonna love it! just a little advice up front, break it in with 150 to 200 rounds before committing to loads. get some good brass when heating it up. when your done with load development you will have a killing machine. Im interested in what you come up with in load development so feel free to post it and ill keep my eye out for it. a fine rifle is definitely one of life's great enjoyments!

OOPPSS, Sorry guys, forgot to mention....Rifle is a Montana ASR 6.5 PRC w/24" barrel
told ya I'm lit'l bit excited bout it, Duh NSN :)
I am thinking about building a 6.5 prc for my son for deer antelope and occasional elk and a 24' barrel. What velocity were you getting

list some barrel and gun specs. I'm VERY interested in building one.

Honestly does it have that much more going for it over its little brother 6.5 Creedmoor
depends on your needs. The prc gives an average of 200-250fps over the creedmoor with the same bullet. It can do one of two things for you...you could load up some lighter weight mono bullets to scream giving you a very nice 0-300 yards point blank rifle on deer which would be more difficult with creedmoor speeds OR it buys yhou a bit more distance at longer ranges. Also, the creedmore for elk is marginal at best where the prc is better (All though if elk were on my list id be bringing a 30 caliber). Really the only thing the creed does better is better factory ammo supplies and more rounds through a barrel. If the PRC really takes off, we could see the factory ammo offerings rise enough to make that first point potentially moot.

How do you determine what powder charge you will use to do this part of your test?

Look at similar cartridge: 6.5x284, 6.5 Remington Mag, & the larger .264 Winchester to see what powders give you the velocities you are looking for.

This is a light load for my daughter. Gun has a 24" kreigar 8 twist
51 G of H1000
147 ELD-M
Fed 210M
ADG Brass
2,743 fps
It was honestly hole for hole at 100 so I jumped it to 200 yards and almost the same results. I went to 400 yards and shot a 4 shot 7/8" group.

Friday I'm finalizing a load for the 156 Berger's.
54.5 g of Reloaded 26
156 Berger's
Fed 210M
ADGbrass
2,943 FPS
Velocity spread was 11. I'm going to adjust seating depth at the range.

This is a light load for my daughter. Gun has a 24" kreigar 8 twist
51 G of H1000
147 ELD-M
Fed 210M
ADG Brass
2,743 fps
It was honestly hole for hole at 100 so I jumped it to 200 yards and almost the same results. I went to 400 yards and shot a 4 shot 7/8" group.

Friday I'm finalizing a load for the 156 Berger's.
54.5 g of Reloaded 26
156 Berger's
Fed 210M
ADGbrass
2,943 FPS
Velocity spread was 11. I'm going to adjust seating depth at the range.
this load shoots well in mine too. (52 GR instead of 51). my wifes creed shoots 43 grains of h4350 and pushes the 147 at 2750 confirmed velocity with a nice accuracy node. hard to argue the previouse posts about is it better than the creed. on the other hand, the 156 going 2950... baddass.

Did some real world testing these last 2 weeks. I loaded up 140 partitions for bear , a light load of 147 ELD-M's for deer for my daughter, and 156's for me. Point of aim for all 3 loads were within 1". She shot a buck with the partitions at 97 yards... high spine so not a great test. Later that day she shot a young doe at 94 yards with the 147's and hit it behind the shoulder and came out half way back the gut. The exit hole was the size of a quarter. Fairly destructive internally.

I shot 3 doe all big mature ones with the 156's going 2952 FPS. One at 100 yards.. slight quartering too I put it behind the shoulder taking out the near side Lung and liver then exiting on the edge of the guts. Lower lung was destroyed and the liver was unrecognizable for a minute till I realized what it was and the exit broke 2 ribs and a 1 1/4" exit hole.
Doe 2 was 342 yards quartering too me.. I put it thru the point of the shoulder completely hammering the shoulder putting a 4"x2" gaping hole into the cavity blowing the near lung and liver to shreds bullets shrapnel was found just inside the hide in front of the hind quarter on the far side as it didn't exit the deer. Massive blood bruise from spine to brisket which sucked but it is what it is.
Doe 3 was 652 yards. Slight quartering too I hit high and back. About mid deer and 4" below top of deer breaking its spine and stopping in front of the hind quarter at the hide. I found no pieces but I didn't really look all that hard. Bullet expanded about 2" on the 2 ribs going in and opposite side was about the same. I wasn't overly impressed with the 652 yard performance as I feel that it should have exited. I guess the spine sucked up a lot of energy.

our rifle season ended yesterday so no more testing.

these pics are of my 342 yard shot.

Attachments

• 5A6AC6BE-4DD5-4013-B7A7-0B21B12F6B24.jpeg
    5A6AC6BE-4DD5-4013-B7A7-0B21B12F6B24.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 187
  • 4781B776-6577-4D94-AF8E-0F70AC0D0574.jpeg
    4781B776-6577-4D94-AF8E-0F70AC0D0574.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.