6.5 PRC Reloading Dies

I talked to Redding in December asking if they will have the master hunter die set offered in 6.5 PRC and he told me they planned to have the competition seating die out the first part of 2019. Only Redding PRC die sets I've seen were on Ebay and they are very proud of them. A standard two die set and a bushing set, $240ish each

I talked to Redding in December asking if they will have the master hunter die set offered in 6.5 PRC and he told me they planned to have the competition seating die out the first part of 2019. Only Redding PRC die sets I've seen were on Ebay and they are very proud of them. A standard two die set and a bushing set, $240ish each

Thanks, I'm starting a build and prefer Redding, so will be waiting....

If you type in "6.5 PRC Dies" into google you get all kinds of info! Learn to use google it is your friend!

Redding was easy to find as where plenty of other's. Plenty of fairly custom makers will make you what ever you want I think even Whidden(sp) has or will make PRC dies. A lot of very intelligent business men will not touch something like this from the stand point of keeping them pre-made on hand. A lot of guys will have very specific requirements especially in the neck area. Better to wait for them to call and make what they need on demand. Now if you plane to shoot brass to SAMMI norms not minimums and the like than even Hornday makes a competition style PRC die set that is much better than say a Lee 2 Die set but not all out Sinclair level of die. Sadly the PRC line is not something I am into so I can not offer very specific help. Good Luck though. Oh and anytime you set your sights on any one given maker you are setting yourself up to strike out. You Always want to have your ideal first choice and then 2 other's at the minimum that will also allow you to do what you need to do with out compromising the desired outcome. First it allows for the possibility of getting a great deal with out sacrificing the quality of the item and it also allows for the lack of availability of an item especially if it is a low volume item. Given how hard it is to actually get PRC brass or Creedmore Brass when ever you desire it the need for dies is low if brass is unobtainable. Do you have sufficient brass on hand?

I bought the Hornady just to get started and they are working just fine for right now. I have spoken with the Whiddens and they are making me my second set from fired cases.

I talked to Whidden Gunworks and they have ordered a reamer. They will be making them also. Never have used there die, but they look well mad.
Any feed back on there dies from anyone owning them?
I own some of all The makers.I wished I had found Whidden dies earlier in my life .They are the best I have ever had. I use them over my Wilson's in my 6br .Buy them you won't turn back . INMO

More case capacity:

~68.0 for the PRC
~53.0 for the Creedmoor

But it's still going to depend on what you want to do with the cartridge as an end result. Maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor would suit your needs better.

6.5 CM: 52-53 gr case capacity
6.5 SLR: 55-56 gr
6.5 PRC: 66-67 gr
6.5 SAUM: 70-71 gr

The PRC has 25% more capacity than a creedmoor, and 5-6% less than a SAUM. In quickload, holding pressure constant at 57k psi in a 26" barrel with 140 hybrids, a 6.5 SAUM (H1000) is about 30-40 fps faster than a 6.5 PRC (H1000), and the PRC is 220 fps faster than a 6.5 creedmoor (H4350).

To the OP, I have both Hornady and Redding Custom bushing dies and I'm very happy with both. If anything I'd give an edge to the Redding but only because of the bullet seating die difference.

I always prefer the Redding (The Competition, Bushing Nk, Micrometers, separate body die - the 3 die $$$ set). No exceptions. They are pricey and I'm not wealthy - but they afford me something others don't...the ability to control the volume of the case better. The 6.5 PRC is identical (almost) to the 6.5 Belfour Short Mag I do shoot. Hornady made Ed the form dies and a set of custom bushing/bump dies, and I really don't like to touch the bodies on wildcat cases that I have turned, reamed and fireformed in a VERY careful manner. For one, if you don't lube EVERY case the same, you will not get the same measurement from casehead to shldr. I've tested it literally hundreds of times. Anyway, I had just finished fireforming and was about to develop loads and I forgot the Hornady dies, while they are fine and I know they make good ammo, squeeze the body a bit, and I didn't want that. When they won't chamber anymore? The Hornady bushing sizer die is even better than the Redding body die, IMHO. So, what to do...

I'm staring at my Redding Creedmoor dies....and 7Mag dies......and it hits me, "The neck sizer bodies on these dies are identical....Why don't you just make a new inner sleeve that holds the bushing and stuff it in the Creedmoor neck die!" It worked, but please know that if you are going to do this (or have your gunsmith do it) make sure you minimize your set-ups and have a way to indicate it dead-nutz when you flip it in your lathe. I use a Tru-Bore chuck (thanks Nate!) and it's easier for me. Anyway, yes it works perfectly and does exactly what I want.

Bottom line for me, and why I told this story, is that I love Reddings and will do just about ANYthing to make sure I can neck size with them. My mind says, "Why sweat fireforming and mic'ing casenecks if you're just gonna squeeze the bejabbers out of 'em to something that is NOT the form of your exact chamber?"

Finally, this is also a "How long is a piece of string?" question. An ace reloader can make solid ammo with innumerable dies. You will learn what you like and don't like. But for me, I want max case volume and exact dimensions on my cases. It makes me feel better about my ammo, and really....? That's what matters. They are predictable for me, I've got tons of bushings, they're tough....and I get exactly what I pay for with every set. Buy once, cry once - actions, glass, dies.........Good luch and God bless!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.