6.5 prc FL sizing help

OG-danimal

Hey all,
Wondering what FL sizing dies people are using for 6.5 prc only please. I'm having issues with my Redding FL not sizing enough and I'm getting really stiff bolt lifts on about every 4th to 5th case reguardless of my best efforts. Even one cartridge stuck in the bore.
I'm using ADG brass for reference. It's a brand new proof elevation mtr with only 50 rounds through it. Zermatt action and proof barrel. Thanks for the help

Factory 6.5 PRC Bergara here - same issue on 2nd firing of GW (ADG) brass. No issues with new Hornady or once-fired Hornady. I've read all the info on changing to special dies, etc. After the last match and having to knock each/all brass out with a cleaning rod, I needed to fix it. Bottom line - I ordered a JGS reamer spec'd by Alex Wheeler because I think this is what it is going to take to fix the issue based upon experiences from other with same problem. YMMV and good luck with your 6.5.

Man that's so annoying, especially after just buying a new $3000 rifle… anyone have luck with SAC dies fixing this problem?

If you're using a shell holder press you might try grinding some off the shell holder to gain some more bump. This has worked for me but also need to be careful not to get the case stuck. Lube the case well and work the case down with with multiple strokes if it feels like it's being difficult. If this is the case and it works, try using a slower burn rate powder with less pressure. Hope this helps. I've found the cheap frankford arsenal m press allows me to bump more than the traditional press but takes some practice to get consistent headspace

Unfortunately this is a well documented problem with both of the PRC cases. The problem only exists with ADG and Lapua brass because they are harder than Hornady. Alex wheeler diagnosed the problem in Hornady's SAAMI chamber design. The issue is that Hornady designed the chamber and the case size the be too close in dimeter at the base. They did it to increase inherent accuracy and it works with their brass because it is soft enough to be resized. However the harder brass used by ADG and Lapua cannot be resized enough to fit after it has been fired a handful of times. Wheeler designed a fix by opening the chamber base this gives enough room for the factory dies to push the base back down and still chamber without problem. He made the reamer print available on line and it is called the 6.5 PRC AW2. JGS has the print on file and you can order a reamer from them. It is easy enough to use the AW2 reamer to open up your chamber by hand if you get a reamer handle. I'm really surprised the gunsmith didn't mention this issue when they built your rifle and ask you which chamber you wanted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Crazy that's a thing… seems like a big flaw in the prc cartridge

Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Crazy that's a thing… seems like a big flaw in the prc cartridge
Not really a flaw in the cartridge design as Hornady makes their own brass and is what was used to design it. More a problem of the brass makers using very hard brass. Hornady brass doesn't exhibit this issue and if it does it because it's being over pressured in most cases. I've not heard of people having the issue with Federal and some of the other brass makers that use the softer brass. Anyways. I also modified my chamber with the AW2 reamer so I can run the ADG and Lapua brass. I wonder if Hornady modified the new 7mm PRC to address this or are they following the same design as the 6.5 and 300.

Hey all,
Wondering what FL sizing dies people are using for 6.5 prc only please. I'm having issues with my Redding FL not sizing enough and I'm getting really stiff bolt lifts on about every 4th to 5th case reguardless of my best efforts. Even one cartridge stuck in the bore.
I'm using ADG brass for reference. It's a brand new proof elevation mtr with only 50 rounds through it. Zermatt action and proof barrel. Thanks for the help
I had the same problem with my 6.5 PRC using ADG brass. I first tried to correct the problem with a custom die made from my fired brass and it didn't resolve the problem. Next I ordered a custom reamer from Manson that they make for ADG brass and it corrected the problem.

According to Whidden this is a common issue with hard brass in the short action magnums with tight tolerances. The issue can be addressed several ways: 1. Run hornady brass. 2. Aw2 Reamer. 3. Custom die from Whidden. 4. Modify your own set up. I have all 4 of those items. On the modification you can play with the shell holder but it can bump the shoulder back too much. I took a 300 prc die and cut off .25" of the base and it will undersize the case base at the .200 line to work. It was the easiest and cheapest fix and it adds a step in the process. The whidden custom dies are next for cost at about 200.00. The reamer was 350, likely closer to 400 now. Pick your poison. When I run hornday brass I get the same fps for the same basic charge weight and similar sd/es. I have adg, gunwerks, lapau, and hornady brass. I see nothing noticeable to rule out using hornady brass so far.

Unfortunately this is a well documented problem with both of the PRC cases. The problem only exists with ADG and Lapua brass because they are harder than Hornady. Alex wheeler diagnosed the problem in Hornady's SAAMI chamber design. The issue is that Hornady designed the chamber and the case size the be too close in dimeter at the base. They did it to increase inherent accuracy and it works with their brass because it is soft enough to be resized. However the harder brass used by ADG and Lapua cannot be resized enough to fit after it has been fired a handful of times. Wheeler designed a fix by opening the chamber base this gives enough room for the factory dies to push the base back down and still chamber without problem. He made the reamer print available on line and it is called the 6.5 PRC AW2. JGS has the print on file and you can order a reamer from them. It is easy enough to use the AW2 reamer to open up your chamber by hand if you get a reamer handle. I'm really surprised the gunsmith didn't mention this issue when they built your rifle and ask you which chamber you wanted.
Good stuff Tim!