6.5 prc FL sizing help

There a thread here that's about 40 pages that discusses this is great detail and is exhausting to read.

Interesting posts.. any experience w Nosler brass in the 6.5 PRC? I have a new box of 100 that I was planning on using for my next batch as I have reloaded my Hornady brass 4 times (w no problems). This thread may make me reconsider my plans

If you do choose to get the JGS reamer, either have a gunsmith do the work or be very deliberate and slow doing it yourself. I bricked a barrel by being all excited about being able to fix the problem myself. Got the reamer and some cutting oil and went to town with it. About 2 minutes into the job, I noticed the metal shavings were starting to build up on the reamer and I needed to add more cutting oil to clear them out. There is a moment of pause before that feeling of regret when you realize you just made a major mistake, and the brilliance of a simple solution comes back to slap you in the face. I realized that I should be taking a measurement after each twist or half twist of the reamer because it should only remove a tiny little bit of metal. Too late, the no-go gauge now fits like a glove. I am now contemplating the cost difference between just getting a new barrel reamed with my AW2 reamer or having a Smith repair my stupidity. Fortunately, the barrel was not a CF or otherwise super expensive one.

According to Whidden this is a common issue with hard brass in the short action magnums with tight tolerances. The issue can be addressed several ways: 1. Run hornady brass. 2. Aw2 Reamer. 3. Custom die from Whidden. 4. Modify your own set up. I have all 4 of those items. On the modification you can play with the shell holder but it can bump the shoulder back too much. I took a 300 prc die and cut off .25" of the base and it will undersize the case base at the .200 line to work. It was the easiest and cheapest fix and it adds a step in the process. The whidden custom dies are next for cost at about 200.00. The reamer was 350, likely closer to 400 now. Pick your poison. When I run hornday brass I get the same fps for the same basic charge weight and similar sd/es. I have adg, gunwerks, lapau, and hornady brass. I see nothing noticeable to rule out using hornady brass so far.
Thanks very much, I will switch to hornady first and go from there. Cheers

I had the same problem with my 6.5 PRC using ADG brass. I first tried to correct the problem with a custom die made from my fired brass and it didn't resolve the problem. Next I ordered a custom reamer from Manson that they make for ADG brass and it corrected the problem.
Just beware Hornady brass can have but not as much as the same issue, it might take a few more Reloading's to get there. Before I ordered my custom reamer I switched to Hornady brass and at the 4th reloading I started having the same issues.

Just beware Hornady brass can have but not as much as the same issue, it might take a few more Reloading's to get there. Before I ordered my custom reamer I switched to Hornady brass and at the 4th reloading I started having the same issues.
Yeah I'll probably end up doing the reamer and custom dies as well, just need that hornady brass to get me to hunting season! 100 new pieces should do it

Yeah I'll probably end up doing the reamer and custom dies as well, just need that hornady brass to get me to hunting season! 100 new pieces should do it
With the custom reamer you won't need a custom die. There is a good chance you may not have any issues with Hornady brass

I had the opportunity to buy either ADG or Lapua and decided on Lapua (and sold a bunch of both Nosler and Hornady at the same time). One of the reasons is I thought there was less chance of this happening with the Lapua over ADG brass. Reading this I guess I was wrong. Time will tell. I'm only started on the first loading.

I took 10 pieces and ran them 8x. It's a standard die set, RCBS or redding comp, can't remember which. Zero issues resizing so far and pockets are tight. My lapau brass is showing issues at 1x and def 2x. I have a whidden for lapau and adg. I'm holding off on using my aw2 reamer until this hornady brass is smoked. It's proving to be quite good, low sd, accurate.

I took 10 pieces and ran them 8x. It's a standard die set, RCBS or redding comp, can't remember which. Zero issues resizing so far and pockets are tight. My lapau brass is showing issues at 1x and def 2x. I have a whidden for lapau and adg. I'm holding off on using my aw2 reamer until this hornady brass is smoked. It's proving to be quite good, low sd, accurate.
Does the whidden die fix the issue on the adg and lapua brass?

Anyone have the issue with Peterson brass?

I guess the other thing I'm confused about… how will the AW2 reamer fix the sticky brass while running it through a standard or non custom die? Or is the custom whidden die a necessity?

I first went the route of the Whidden custom die and it did not correct the problem with ADG brass. I purchased a custom reamer from A Manson and problem solved