6.5 PRC help

coop2564

New Browning max LR! I cant get a loaded round to smoothly chamber, have to fight like heck to get bolt closed. I dont have any nor can i find factory ammo to try.
All reloads no matter what col I make them are very hard to close bolt, once I do get it closed and remove and try same round again it's easier but still hard!
at first thought I was to hard in lands at 2.950 i could see scratches on 143 ELDx. So I keep seating until scratches went away at 2.8700 still hard, tried 2.8000 just for fun still hard.
hornady cases load just fine resized with no bullet bolt closes easy. Resized case neck avg is .2910, with bullet seated .2925 cases trimmed to hornady specs. Thoughts? My only thought is case neck chamber is to tight? Maybe needs polishing or recut. Also tried multiple brass but all Hornady. I also loaded a accubond 142 same problem at 2.850 col
The scratches i saw I now think where just do to it going up ramp while in bolt. Only on one small side I can spin bullet in bolt and it scratches another spot!
Ill also add i did shoot the gun and it shot fine even at 2.950, no pressure signs, bolt ejected case very easy after firing, its just loading thats the problem! Takes a lot of force to get it closed!

Last edited:
New Browning max LR! I cant get a loaded round to smoothly chamber, have to fight like heck to get bolt closed. I dont have any nor can i find factory ammo to try.
All reloads no matter what col I make them are very hard to close bolt, once I do get it closed and remove and try same round again it's easier but still hard!
at first thought I was to hard in lands at 2.950 i could see scratches on 143 ELDx. So I keep seating until scratches went away at 2.8700 still hard, tried 2.8000 just for fun still hard.
hornady cases load just fine resized with no bullet bolt closes easy. Resized case neck avg is .2910, with bullet seated .2925 cases trimmed to hornady specs. Thoughts? My only thought is case neck chamber is to tight? Maybe needs polishing or recut. Also tried multiple brass but all Hornady. I also loaded a accubond 142 same problem at 2.850 col
The scratches i saw I now think where just do to it going up ramp while in bolt. Only on one small side I can spin bullet in bolt and it scratches another spot!
Reset your seating die sounds like your distorting someting in the seating process maybe not double check everything good luck

Reset your seating die sounds like your distorting someting in the seating process maybe not double check everything good luck
You nailed it! Reset die and retightened and they loaded perfect! I guess when I was tightening it down it slipped some! TY

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.