6.5 PRC 156 load development

I just measured some brass. Fired come out of the chamber right at .532" even at the .200" mark, sized in my Redding FL die is .5312"

At least you are getting some sizing but I personally do not feel it is enough. If you are not having issues then obviously it is not a concern for you.

In my very humble opinion you have a die issue just as I do. The cock on open statement has me confused. The Bighorn is a cock on open as are most actions. Are we not talking about your Big Horn?

Not the bighorn, my old 6.5 PRC.

With RL26 in Hornady brass I'm at 2980 fps with the 156. Because of my mag box at 2.975 I have to jump them about .09" so I havent found anything to shoot sub .5" yet but still getting .6-75" groups at 100 yards. I ordered some ADG and will try again and see if I can gain a little speed before pressure and better accuracy. 3000 fps is my goal so I'm close. My rifle is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline 24" barrel. I have an excellent load with the berger 140 vld and retumbo at 3030fps so I'm not too worried if the 156s dont work out
I'll be interested to see what your results are with RL26. I believe I started seeing pressure at 56.3 grains so that's where I stopped. Like you I was headed for 57.5 as max

Edit: I hit pressure and compressed load at 55.3 gr
I use 55.5gr. RL26, 2.95OAL, CCI mag primer equals one three shot hole at 116 yards. I was just sighting the Montana Rifle X3 so I did not get any velocity.

Attachments

• Scan_156 (1).pdf
    268.2 KB · Views: 459
Do you have .188 freebore or .130?
I have a custom freebore. The chamber reamer was a .150, then the smith used a throat reamer to precisely cut the chamber so the 147 ELDM and 143 ELDX would end up with the bases right at the neck shoulder junction when the ogive is engaging the lands. I'm using a medium action that allows about a 3.2 COAL in the mag so I don't have the 2.995ish limit of the short actions.

Excited to start reading some on game performance with these bullets in the next couple months

Hornady brass, I went up to 56.6 rl26, 210m primer and 156 EOL .050 off lands (2.975 oal).

Didn't see any pressure signs, best load was 56.0 at 218 yards, 2923 FPS

Going to load some more and shoot further out.

8A8B8791-4241-49E9-95B4-32779E718800.jpeg

Also tried H1000 again. 57.5 was 2918 FPS with no pressure signs. 58.0 had hard bolt lift and ejector swipe so I'm calling 57.5 max with the 156.

Dang. I ordered some 156's to try in my 22" proof. Seems these EOL's are not as sensitive to FPS loss per grain and producing accuracy. It won't be hard to beat the ELD if loss is sub 100 fps.

Quick question, I have a Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor I re-barreling to 6.5 PRC. Dark Eagle made me some WSM Mags for the Stock Bottom metal, if the max OAL of the mag is 3.0 then;
I use 55.5gr. RL26, 2.95OAL, CCI mag primer equals one three shot hole at 116 yards. I was just sighting the Montana Rifle X3 so I did not get any velocity.

This load should fit in that magazine correct, or is there something else I'm not taking into consideration? I was going to limit myself to factory loaded 143's but if I can use the 156's I bought, (I have a 110 in PRC) then I'm much more excited about the build.

I was told by Hornady they should be sizing to .529. I personally prefer more but would settle for it actually sizing to .529. I understand there may be some spring back but that is not enough. Broz and I have have been talking about this. I do not feel the dies are cut small enough.
I had a similar issue with a 338 Lapua. It ended up being a two fold issue. Ironically enough, Broz helped me diagnose one of the issues and then I took it to my gunsmith. I had a small bur in the chamber that needed to be polished out. The bolt click and sticky brass only happened with resized brass. The chamber was really tight too. I also found that I needed to neck turn the Lapua brass I was using. It was too thick. This part drove me nuts for some time until I figured it out. I happened to read an article that talked about this issue and the solution was to try another brand of brass or neck turn the problem brass. Nosler brass didn't give me a problem. See if a bullet will slide easily through a fired case. If not, you have a neck thickness issue and will probably need to neck turn your brass. Not sure if this is even an issue, but thought I'd share the problem I had to possibly help you out.

I had a similar issue with a 338 Lapua. It ended up being a two fold issue. Ironically enough, Broz helped me diagnose one of the issues and then I took it to my gunsmith. I had a small bur in the chamber that needed to be polished out. The bolt click and sticky brass only happened with resized brass. The chamber was really tight too. I also found that I needed to neck turn the Lapua brass I was using. It was too thick. This part drove me nuts for some time until I figured it out. I happened to read an article that talked about this issue and the solution was to try another brand of brass or neck turn the problem brass. Nosler brass didn't give me a problem. See if a bullet will slide easily through a fired case. If not, you have a neck thickness issue and will probably need to neck turn your brass. Not sure if this is even an issue, but thought I'd share the problem I had to possibly help you out.

I appreciate the help. The problem is the dies are not sizing. I have Hornady, ADG, and Bertram. The necks are not too thick. I also have a borescope and the chamber walls are smooth but just to rule it out I polished the chamber. You can not expect proper extraction when dies do not size. This is the exact reason no one who knows anything about reloading still neck sizes.

I appreciate the help. The problem is the dies are not sizing. I have Hornady, ADG, and Bertram. The necks are not too thick. I also have a borescope and the chamber walls are smooth but just to rule it out I polished the chamber. You can not expect proper extraction when dies do not size. This is the exact reason no one who knows anything about reloading still neck sizes.
You may want to think about a small base die.