6.5 PRC 156 load development

Started out here with 156 Berger and N565. Other than 6.5 PRC brass issues, initial load is extremely accurate. Not even going to bother with any other powders.
I had the same experience with H1000 and the 156. It shot and has continued to shoot 1/2 MOA for hundreds of rounds over the last 3 years. Plus with my extended chamber leade and 26in barrel I get decent velocity from the 156 at 3040fps.

So I broke in my new 6.5 PRC "build" (just screwed together) , Zermatt TL3, with Proof CF barrel, Trigger Tech Special trigger, AG Alpine hunter stock with NF nx8 scope. While waiting on the stock to complete I started developing ladder loads of 140 gr Berger Elite hunter and 156 gr Berger with limited powder resources mainly Magpro. I also bought the last 3 boxes of 6.5 PRC that Pendleton Ammunition had ( all different bullets). I tried the 143 gr Hornady ELDX. So after 20 shot break-in and cleaning according Proof. I shot the Penleton's shots #20,21,22. I was pretty pleased with my first 3 shot. Still developing my loads for ther Berger 140's and 156's. Pendletons @ 100yds:

Attachments

• 6.5 prc.jpeg
    6.5 prc.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 46
So I broke in my new 6.5 PRC "build" (just screwed together) , Zermatt TL3, with Proof CF barrel, Trigger Tech Special trigger, AG Alpine hunter stock with NF nx8 scope. While waiting on the stock to complete I started developing ladder loads of 140 gr Berger Elite hunter and 156 gr Berger with limited powder resources mainly Magpro. I also bought the last 3 boxes of 6.5 PRC that Pendleton Ammunition had ( all different bullets). I tried the 143 gr Hornady ELDX. So after 20 shot break-in and cleaning according Proof. I shot the Penleton's shots #20,21,22. I was pretty pleased with my first 3 shot. Still developing my loads for ther Berger 140's and 156's. Pendletons @ 100yds:
This little short mag can prove to be amazingly accurate.

Load development question for you experts. I am developing a load for 156 gr Berger over MagPro. Only data I could find was the Nosler data site with150 gr. Nosler Accubond and max 61gr. MagPro. I found a good hunting load less than 1/2 moa 3 shot group with 59.7 gr of MagPro, 2.950 COAL. Looking at the brass primers looked ok but one had ejector swipes. What are your thoughts should I try and tweak this load or back off? I plan on using this for elk this season was trying to keep velocity and energy up.

Load development question for you experts. I am developing a load for 156 gr Berger over MagPro. Only data I could find was the Nosler data site with150 gr. Nosler Accubond and max 61gr. MagPro. I found a good hunting load less than 1/2 moa 3 shot group with 59.7 gr of MagPro, 2.950 COAL. Looking at the brass primers looked ok but one had ejector swipes. What are your thoughts should I try and tweak this load or back off? I plan on using this for elk this season was trying to keep velocity and energy up.
Backing off a few tenths might make it safer. What did your powder ladder show for velocity? Make sure your not on a velocity transition point.

What brand/ quality of brass are you using and is it new or fired, resized or shoulder bump? I'm no expert either but this info makes a difference. Also, what is the OAL of the Nosler ABLR? No info on their site. Berger is 1.512 and Nosler reloading tests cartridge at 2.955 so how much bullet below the neck junction? Nosler Reloading data posts some pretty fast MV compared to others it looks like.

What brand/ quality of brass are you using and is it new or fired, resized or shoulder bump? I'm no expert either but this info makes a difference. Also, what is the OAL of the Nosler ABLR? No info on their site. Berger is 1.512 and Nosler reloading tests cartridge at 2.955 so how much bullet below the neck junction? Nosler Reloading data posts some pretty fast MV compared to others it looks like.
New Nosler primed brass. I have had a hard time finding primers so I bought this primed brass. I loaded new Hornady brass with Fed 215 mag primers up to 60 grains with no signs of pressure. Just curious about 1 out of 3 with ejector swipes

New Nosler primed brass. I have had a hard time finding primers so I bought this primed brass. I loaded new Hornady brass with Fed 215 mag primers up to 60 grains with no signs of pressure. Just curious about 1 out of 3 with ejector swipes
Nosler and Hornady have reputations for being softer brass. Might not show up w/ ADG or Lapua. Case capacity will be slightly lower too though.