6.5 PRC 156 load development

I understand what you are saying, I just never measured that area of the brass since I've never had any resistance.

I've heard there were some 300 PRC dies that wouldn't fully size but those were tough to chamber.

I had this come up with my 300 PRC as well right before I took it to Africa. After looking into it more It is doing the same thing as my 6.5 PRC. The dies are not sizing. The base comes out of the chamber at .532 and out of the die at .532. It gives bolt click after 4-5 firings even though it is well below real pressure signs and primer pockets are still like new(I have gauges).

My 26in Proof with 58.1gr of H1000 reaches 3000 fps easily with no pressure signs. I went all the way to 58.4gr with no pressure signs. So 58.1gr to 58.4 was one big velocity node from 3001-3013. I only needed 2990 fps out of the 156gr to exceed the 143 gr ELDX performance. I tried 8133 but never got over 2960fps and case filled up

Do you have .188 freebore or .130?

Rfurman, mine are all .532, Fired and sized measuring with a caliper.

I was told by Hornady they should be sizing to .529. I personally prefer more but would settle for it actually sizing to .529. I understand there may be some spring back but that is not enough. Broz and I have have been talking about this. I do not feel the dies are cut small enough.

I was told by Hornady they should be sizing to .529. I personally prefer more but would settle for it actually sizing to .529. I understand there may be some spring back but that is not enough. Broz and I have have been talking about this. I do not feel the dies are cut small enough.
Have the smith polish out the back end of the chamber.......

Have the smith polish out the back end of the chamber.......
That would work for this chamber but .533 is the spec. That is just a band aid. I will order "custom" dies that actually do their job before I do that. Like I said my 300 is doing it as well. I have not heard of others having issues but I wonder how many times they have fired the same brass. I will butt out now I just wanted to suggest something else for 8andbait to look at.

That would work for this chamber but .533 is the spec. That is just a band aid. I will order "custom" dies that actually do their job before I do that. Like I said my 300 is doing it as well. I have not heard of others having issues but I wonder how many times they have fired the same brass. I will butt out now I just wanted to suggest something else for 8andbait to look at.
Must be a Kiff reamer....he's notorious for grinding reamers too dam small at the web, despite what the print reads......

I have to go up the case about .3 to get to .529.

This brass has been fired 3 times.

My old 6.5 PRC had some brass fired 7 times, I don't remember any bolt click on that one but it was substantial effort to open the bolt.

Last edited:
Must be a Kiff reamer....he's notorious for grinding reamers too dam small at the web, despite what the print reads......

I do NOT believe it is the reamer as I stated .533 is the spec. I would expect some spring back so coming out of the chamber at .532 is pretty much what I would expect. The other issue which sticks out like a sore thumb to me is Hornady said the die should be sizing to .529 which has zero to do with the chamber. It is not doing that. I also see what others say about Kiff but I have had several of his reamers and all were great.

My 6.5ss has terrible bolt click. After 3rd firing is when it started. Whidden measured my dies and they are in spec.

Whidden is of the belief that .001 is enough and I could not disagree any more. I do understand he is a well respected shooter but start looking around at all the "bolt click" issues and you will start to see what I am saying. If you were seeing pressure the primer pockets would be loose after a few firings.

I have to go up the case about .3 to get to .529.

This brass has been fired 3 times.

My old 6.5 PRC had some brass fired 7 times, I don't remember any bolt click on that one but it was cock on open so there was substantial effort to open the bolt.

In my very humble opinion you have a die issue just as I do. The cock on open statement has me confused. The Bighorn is a cock on open as are most actions. Are we not talking about your Big Horn?

I just measured some brass. Fired come out of the chamber right at .532" even at the .200" mark, sized in my Redding FL die is .5312"

Whidden is of the belief that .001 is enough and I could not disagree any more. I do understand he is a well respected shooter but start looking around at all the "bolt click" issues and you will start to see what I am saying. If you were seeing pressure the primer pockets would be loose after a few firings.
Using a micrometer it is a little tough to measure that .200 mark exactly perfect but I am seeing about a .001 sizing. Probably ditching these dies and extra brass I had for another barrel and going some other route. Keep us updated with any custom does you pursue.