6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two 260 Rems. One is a plan old hunter grade Rem 788 with a 24" SS bbl. It is very pleasant to shoot. It turns in 1/2 moa groups with Sierra's version of a 130 gr Ballistic Tip.
The other one is a 260 AI. It out performs my 270 Win. The AI clocks in with a Berger 142gr VLDH at 2940 fps and shoots bug holes. It is pleasant to shoot as well.
FWIW, my dad had a 6mm Creedmoor built with a 24" Lilja bbl, the Hornady 103gr Percision Hunter ammo clocks in at 3,043 fps.
The numbers speak for themselves.

So do I find the Man bun bullets next to the Bud Light at Target?
They are having a sale for "significant individuals day". If you buy a box of Creedmoor you get $10 off a case of Bud light and 10% off a tuck friendly swimsuit at Target. AND if you wear your "Build back Better" hat you get a Cracker Barrel gift certificate!

Last edited:
Adding to a previous comment, I think the unrealistic hype around the 6.5 CM has caused most of controversy around the 6.5 chamberings. I have a 6.5x55 and a 6.5 PRC and that's probably as far as I'll go with the 6.5 caliber. There are many other excellent 6.5 calibers out there, but these are the two that hold the most interest for me.

The 6.5x55 became a popular hunting round in Newfoundland and elsewhere, proving a capable cartridge on moose and black bear. Availability of firearms and ammo from the war were a leading cause of this choice. Bullet selection and appropriate range was key to success with this rifle and still is today. I took a mule deer at 275 yds with my 6.5x55.....steep incline, frontal shot. The 140 gr Nosler Partition entered the frontal kill button and exited to the side of the spine, through the backstrap and he dropped in his tracks. That bullet passed through what....15....18 inches of deer with no problem. The sweede has a slightly larger case and in a modern rifle can be safely handloaded to velocities slightly exceeding the CM. Both the sweede and the CM can kill anything from antelope to black bear to moose. As long as the proper bullet is used and the shooter keeps the distance appropriate for the caliber and the animal.

The 6.5 PRC loaded with....let's say a 150gr Nosler ABLR can push that bullet at 3077 by Nosler's load data. The famed .270 Win pushes a 150gr ABLR, with a much lower ballistic coefficient, around a maximum of 2918. So....if the .270 Win is the absolute hunting caliber it's famed to be, why would the 6.5 PRC be any less effective? As a bonus, the 6.5 PRC will have a touch less recoil that the .270 with better down range energy delivered to the target. It's easier to listen to the gun counter BS and be a hater than it is to learn and understand something new.

Last edited:
Mine cured cancer, did my taxes, and made a dent in world peace.

Anecdotally my last honda civic took a cow Moose that only made it a few steps... Sadly it was not a controlled expansion honda civic and didn't retain its weight on expansion. Sadly was never able to try it on aoudad guess I'll have to use the 6.5 creed....
I don't need to worry my taxes now,I'm retired now but my 6.5x284 makes a dent in world peace as well especially 1000yds

The 6 and 6.5 Creedmoors both are great target rounds as looking at PRS competition. First time shooting 1000yards I easily hit the target over and over again. Had a lot of throat erosion in the 6 after putting 100 rounds down range that day and the 6.5 did just as well. Took the 6.5x47 out to 1 mile at Black Bear shooting complex and will now retire the barrel. Yet to try hunting with either but as far as long distance plinking goes they all do well. I use the 30-30, 30.06, 25.06, and 6.5x284 for the hunting duties and don't forget the muzzle loader. Waiting on a .243 AI barrel to add to the hunting duties.

ALERT
IMG_5019.jpeg

Bultinkle was just being sarcastic and it rubbed someone the wrong way because they took it literally....
I was the guy that it rubbed the wrong way and my apologies to the group and to Bultinkle--I thought he was being serious....my bad. Unfortunately I have known unethical hunters so desperate to get a shot that they would take a butt shot and it is just plain ludicrous. Thanks

I'm an ethical hunter who doesn't shoot white tail deer in the butt. If you have to shoot animals in the butt maybe you shouldn't be hunting and maybe you shouldn't be posting on this thread or site. Doesn't matter what you are shooting; shot placement remains the key. I am blessed enough to own private property inside a 15,000 acre military base that I can hunt (I am allowed to hunt my own property inside the base) and my farthest shot is about 300 yards. My 6.5 PRC is more than powerful enough and would probably kill a deer stone dead if I shot him in the butt; however I would never do that. There are plenty of awesome guys on this site that post information about the extreme powered rifles such as 28 Nosler (I have one for elk by the way and it is too much for whitetail), 30 Nosler, 300 RUM and so forth and I would be willing to bet those guys aren't shooting elk in the butt. Thanks
Rule number 1

I was the guy that it rubbed the wrong way and my apologies to the group and to Bultinkle--I thought he was being serious....my bad. Unfortunately I have known unethical hunters so desperate to get a shot that they would take a butt shot and it is just plain ludicrous. Thanks
Again Rule number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.