6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

It's shot placement and bullet construction. Not sure if you've ever butchered livestock before but a 22 mag to the brain puts down pretty much everything instantly. Hunting isn't that controlled but if you hit them in the lungs/heart they will die. No question. Some don't stay put when you connect though, that's because they're lung volume is truly enormous and they can run a long freaking ways in a very short period of time, especially downhill, even when critically wounded. It's not magic. It's physiology. Bullet construction is critical if you're going to shoot for bone, which helps significantly to anchor them in place. You don't want a bullet that expands maximally immediately because it'll shed a lot of mass early and almost all of its energy will be dissipated in the front quarter before entering the chest or hitting the spine (especially on something the size of an elk or larger). You want something that starts to expand ~4-6" in and then expands rapidly. If you think the 6.5CM doesn't have the energy or whatever to do long range work on elk you should first ask yourself if you think that a 9mm+P with the muzzle on the fur wouldn't be enough...because the 6.5CM with a 143gr ELD-X going 2850 has ~772ft/lb at 1000 which is twice the muzzle energy of a 9mm...it's plenty. It's all about bullet construction/design, shot placement, and then finding your animal after you shoot it.

1 elk .5000 dollar tag,2000 in diesel gas and,food .Yep I would chance,it For a 5 dollar bullet . what are you gaining by not,using a larger projectile . I have killed maybe 50 elk over 40 years.

$5000 tag? Sounds like those places that raise the elk on a farm like cattle, tranq them, throw them in a trailer and haul them up to their ranch, take the kevlar vests off of them, fake a spot and stalk hunt and let some non resident shoot them a trophy type tag...just because you spend lots of money on your hunts doesn't mean you need a cannon...it just doesn't.

The ELD-X will explode like a bomb at 400yds and under starting with that kind of velocity. It's made specifically for expansion at lower velocities.
My daughter shot a decent My muley this year at 250+ yards, factory Hornady 143's from a WBY Camilla which runs a 20 in barrel, two bullets to the center broadside and neither bullet made to the of side, not even a hint of frag even hitting the other side, she won't be shooting the 143 at elk!! I'm used to Berger's going about 500fps faster and at that range I've shot elk through the heavy shoulder bone at a heavy quartering at the same range and found the bullet mid way up the neck under the of side.

$5000 tag? Sounds like those places that raise the elk on a farm like cattle, tranq them, throw them in a trailer and haul them up to their ranch, take the kevlar vests off of them, fake a spot and stalk hunt and let some non resident shoot them a trophy type tag...just because you spend lots of money on your hunts doesn't mean you need a cannon...it just doesn't.
You can pay considerably more than that for a private land or reservation elk hunt.

My daughter shot a decent My muley this year at 250+ yards, factory Hornady 143's from a WBY Camilla which runs a 20 in barrel, two bullets to the center broadside and neither bullet made to the of side, not even a hint of frag even hitting the other side, she won't be shooting the 143 at elk!! I'm used to Berger's going about 500fps faster and at that range I've shot elk through the heavy shoulder bone at a heavy quartering at the same range and found the bullet mid way up the neck under the of side.
Did you recover the bullets? What shape were they in?

Last edited:
After all the 6.5 Creedmoor hype ... Shooters are proving just as good as or better Target groupings from some of the tried and true Cartridge's of the past.
Yes, even with everything from .243 , .270 . 7mm-08 and more.
I've gotta admit Hornady has done an incredible job of promoting the 6.5 Creedmoor,. But sometimes less is more ,
Let the Cartridges speak for themselves

Last edited:
Man, I love these stories.

Elk hunter crying in his beer at a western saloon.

Shot a big bull right thru the chest with a super-sizzle magnum. Pert near a perfect shot. How does he know it was a good shot? Why that's where he was aiming you **** fool !!!

Bull takes off and is never found. Hunter and his buddies drink to never using that inferior super-sizzle round again -- obviously need more gun and maybe better bullets.

Always wondered: If the bull is never recovered, how do you know it was a good hit, or that the bullet failed to perform well ? Just wondering.

Having killed elk with centerfire rifles of various calibers, muzzleloading rifles and long bow, I can attest to the fact that elk have a hard time running very far after receiving a significant wound to the heart/lung area, and as far as I know, God never made a bullet-proof elk.

Interesting thread, I guess.

BTW - I would not use a 6.5 CM for elk, I have a number of bigger options, but I also know a rancher in Montana who has killed a lot of elk with a beat-up old .250 Savage 99. Make the shot and the elk is yours. Broadside a shoulder blade with a lightly constructed bullet and you might be the one crying in your beer.

Have had both and dumped the 6.5 creed and the 6 creed, will take a 6mm remy or the 260 remy any day,your brass option is unlimited,com on people wake up the 6.5 Sweed or the 260 are great cartridges, but put the wright bullet in it and use it for what it was intended,my favorite Elk Cartridge is the Queen .375 H&H, ,you can build it lite enough that it will not hurt you and it is a slayer,with excellent accuracy, but then again use it wright and you will have great results. Learn to shoot and handle recoil,I'm approaching 72 shoot my .458 off the bench with full power loads and it weighs 9.25 lbs, I weigh 180 and am 5'7" and I do not try to stop it and don't lean into it,I go with it and It's fine, Pete

1 elk .5000 dollar tag,2000 in diesel gas and,food .Yep I would chance,it For a 5 dollar bullet . what are you gaining by not,using a larger projectile . I have killed maybe 50 elk over 40 years.
I my self have .300wm for that, but for some one who can git to it later and shoot better with that gun it could be good for them. In my opinion more power is better. I'v told people on here who practically said that the 6.5x55 is the best elk/moose gun, that just because Native Americans used pointed sticks for thousands of years dose not mean that pointed sticks are best for elk.