6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

Spoke again with my friend. For those who want to know. Each of the hunters is an experienced elk hunter. Now I am not going to engage in what experienced means. All four shots were from 300 to 350 yards. They did manage to track one of the elk. Caught up with it in about 1/2 mile and brought it down with two more shots. Can't tell you where the bullets hit the elk. Each was shooting 140 grain factory ammo.
You are the master facilitator! Haha - slowly feeding us second hand info and keeping it vague enough to let our minds wander:). Well played brother, well played!

nmbarta,
OK, we get it, you "hate" the 6.5 CM cartridge. BUT... it was not developed with hunting in mind. It was developed for TARGET shooting. And it is wildly successful in that realm. I shoot it in my Ruger Precision Rifle for competitions as do many other competitors. It's big in PRS for lower recoil and flatter trajectory than the .308.

Then hunters discovered its flat shooting capabilities and that is what gave it even more impetus. So what's "wrong" with the .260 Rem.? Well it does not have the proper neck length to handle longer low drag bullets without compressing the powder load.

But hey, "Haters gotta hate." and a cartridge is not a bad thing to hate as no harm is done.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I hate it the creedmoor, for no other reason than there was zero need for it, it does the same **** thing that 10 other 6.5's did before it, and now everyone thinks it's cool.
My stepson came home from working at scheels and told me he was saving for a creedmoor. I told him he'll bring a creedmoor in my home the same day he where's a flat bill through the front door, and he'll need to be a helleva lot bigger before either one of those things happen! Childish on my part? I think so, but I can't help it. He's shooting a 280ai instead, I thought that was a good choice.

Wow, this post perfectly sums up this whole thread. The 6.5 CM is the most successful new cartridge in many decades. It's kept the lights on for a number of companies since the slowdown after the 16 election and the general consensus here is, "get off my lawn!"

I hate it the creedmoor, for no other reason than there was zero need for it, it does the same **** thing that 10 other 6.5's did before it, and now everyone thinks it's cool.
My stepson came home from working at scheels and told me he was saving for a creedmoor. I told him he'll bring a creedmoor in my home the same day he wears a flat bill through the front door, and he'll need to be a helleva lot bigger before either one of those things happen! Childish on my part? I think so, but I can't help it. He's shooting a 280ai instead, I thought that was a good choice.
I don't agree with you, but I laughed out loud when I read this - the flatbill got me. My son won't wear his hat any other way, and it covers his ears. He is only 11, but it freaking kills me! I keep trying to curve his bills when he isn't around and it ****es him off. He also shoots a creedmoor tho, so maybe its all related! Haha

Been following along here and things seem to being repeated over and over. Just about any center fire rifle will kill an elk even likely a 22lr will. Does this make every rifle cartridge an elk cartridge NO. If the 6.5CM is your best suited cartridge to shoot an elk use i. If you have a larger more powerful rifle to use for pete sake use it. Just because a cartridge can and has killed elk does not make it a best choice.
Kind of on this train of thought some have said large cartridges make them flinch. Truth is if you flinch with one gun you likely have a problem a smaller cartridge will stop while you are hunting. If you flinch you flinch no matter what. It may have been brought on by a large cartridge but just hunting with a small one will not solve it. That process will take time and practice.
From what I have learned over the years we all have different elk cartridges we turn to. Now to some that is the 6.5CM and to others as has been stated it is a 243. To me neither would be my choice I would go 300 mag or 338 mag. Am I right no are they right no these are just our choices.
I am enjoying this thread and it is a real hot topic too bad it will likely never be resolved.
To the bolded. Having trained literally thousands of shooters both military and civilian this is certainly not true in most cases.

Flinching is all mental and is both most common and pronounced with people who are convinced they are shooting a heavy recoiling monster of some sort.

Only in the worst cases where someone has literally been gunshyed have I seen the flinch transfer from the boomers to lighter recoiling rifles/shotguns.

It usually starts with someone who has been shooting for a considerable amount of time with light recoiling weapons who gets's shocked/surprised and "hurt" the first time the pick up something with considerable recoil and just aren't prepared for it or holding it in tight so it knocks the snot out of them. Just a handful of rounds fired like that can create the problem.

Last edited:
I knew better than to post on this one!!!
People love their purchases and will try to justify them regardless of the facts. I don't care what anybody shoots, but if you joke about somebody's creedmoor, it's like you just punched their 5th grader in the face! I give my buddies a hard time about shooting savages too, but they take the jokes pretty well. I know their a good gun and a good company, but just like a creed or a Dodge, you won't find one around here!

65 meme.JPG