6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

Kids grow fast. In a year they may be able to easily handle the recoil. No way I would be touching that rifle. I'd buy a cheap 7.62x39 rifle of some sort and then turn that one over in a year or 2 .
I have an AR in 7.62-39 and have used it very effectively for white tail my granddaughters took to the ar for the adjustability and the mild recoil.

Try and find some 120 or 123 grain bullets and load them down a little bit and see what they think of the recoil out of the 6.5 Creedmoor. I believe Hodgdon has some reduce recoil loads out there with H 4895.

Last edited:
243win seems the obvious answer. If you want to get really crazy, you can Ackley it. If you're stuck on the 6.5 grendel, Get a CZ.
That is a good factory option IF you can find one in stock somewhere. They are built on the 7.62x39 chassis and are a sweet option if a bolt action like that is something you want.

My Remington bolt action 300 Black Out is a soft shooter as well and with my suppressor is a totally tame option that is very hard on predators around here.

You mentioned 6TCU. I was looking at one out of an AR-15 for a pseudo-Winchester 243. I'm really thinking I want a 257 flavor for projectile selection and a bit more payload.

I'll throw out a really out-of-context option for a really young shooter, how about a ~$450 204Ruger bolt action? Not really a deer hunting round but, for a really young lightweight hunter, that little laser is a ton of fun.

For fond memories when he is an old man himself, I'll throw out a recommendation for something you don't see at your normal sporting goods store. Something like a 257 Rigby is a caliber I would happily use today, in fact, I'm looking for one right now, and it is plenty of rifle for most deer-sized hunting and feral hogs at reasonable distances.

Keep velocity and bullet weight on the low side and rifle weight on the not super-lightweight side, and your youngster will have a much better time at the range or out in the field since muzzle report and recoil will be much lower. As he gets older, you and handload some stiff and more powerful bullet/powder combinations.

I grew up my 3 kids with this problem in mind, so my 2 cents of experience. NO WAY to buy for them a semiauto, big-big mistake. Semi are scaring, they give the kid The feeling that after cracking the trigger, it keeps moving, then launches the case etc. Easy for us, disorienting for them: add poor results on paper because of that, dad I do not like shooting anymore. They grow fast, so get (as I did) 2 Ruger Ranch, NO brakes, one in 300 blk and one in Grendel, one for each kid but different in caliber, so they can talk, mine is better etc, compete, and share and test. Reload the Blk starting with 100 grs bullets, then assist on 110. A very good idea is using subs. Good luck!

An inexpensive interim solution could be a single shot rifle: Henry Singleshot or NEF Handi Rifle in 243/7mm-08, etc. I started my son on the latter at about 11 years old. 243, 20" bull barrel, thick honeycomb soft rubber but pad, 100 grain Nosler Partitions. Today in CA it would have to be ~80 grain copper rounds. He settled into it pretty quick and took his first pig with it. Simple, accurate, and safe in the field carried hammer down. They have to manually cock it to fire. Many available used. Then you can save your build/rebuild $ for something better when they are big enough to handle it, We never sold it as we knew there would be grand kids needing it someday. Very accurate and flat shooting thus always useful for target/steel/silhouette/coyote/prairie dog work.

I have never used the Grendel. If you want an AR15 round with more punch than the 223 look at the 224 Valkrie. A 75 gr bullet leaves the muzzle at 3000+fps. Hornady and Barnes, as well as others I am sure, make bullets in the 70 to 80 gr for that round. It is accurate and has virtually no recoil in an AR15. I would consider it a round any youngster, small statured lady or recoil sensitive old guy with arthritis (that's me) can be completely comfortable shooting. It is quite capable on deer and hogs to at least 200 yds. I also love 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem but they are a significant step up in power as they shoot 120-140 gr bullets with recoil on the low end of moderate and are adequate for deer, antelope and hogs to 500yds although of course bullet placement at longer ranges requires a higher level of shooting skills that youngsters may not yet have.

If you want an AR15 round with more punch than the 223 look at the 224 Valkrie. A 75 gr bullet leaves the muzzle at 3000+fps. Hornady and Barnes, as well as others I am sure, make bullets in the 70 to 80 gr for that round. It is accurate and has virtually no recoil in an AR15. I would consider it a round any youngster, small statured lady or recoil sensitive old guy with arthritis (that's me) can be completely comfortable shooting. It is quite capable on deer and hogs to at least 200 yds.
The 22 Valkyrie has very little traction overall so, I would avoid it personally. To be honest I think it solves a problem that generally doesn't exist. The 6.8SPC is a similar cartridge that is hugely more effective at everything except varminting IMHO.

I get the Valkyrie marketing but, it really was an evolution of the 5.56 AMU efforts with heavyweight projectiles in competitions where they just couldn't get the 5.56 loads to perform at long range like they needed. The Valkyrie gave them heavyweight target loads with enough room left in the case to drive them well.

For the skill levels of normal "new" shooters, thinking they need a round to take a deer at 400 yards is a mistake IMHO. While not a huge fan of 300 Black Out supersonic loads, I'd take those any day over the Valkyrie for ranges most new shooters will train and hunt at. Something like a 6x223 or a 257 Rigby or 243 Winchester would all be easy choices for most IMHO.

PSA has a 6.5 Grendel 20" upper with a Vortex scope on it complete for $579.00 advertised right now.

I have a 6.5G - very accurate / great for deer. I run a 123gr SST
I recently built out a .277 Wolverine upper - make cases from .223 / very light recoil, etc. So far good results with 90gr gold dot. Have not put it on deer but did get a pig with it,

I agree with the 6x45 and 300 blk comments. I have both in auto's. Was trying to start them in a bolt and make use of what I had. I have another creed that steel so when they are big/strong enough to handle it, I'll swap them over to that. Sounds like I may need to scrap that project and move into something dedicated to a caliber they can handle for now. How do the Howa rifles shoot? Bolt action 6x45 or even the 6tcu is just a barrel swap from a 223 rifle?
Thanks for all the info so far. It's appreciated.
I have 3 and all shoot very good.300 Weatherby mag in a Vanguard which is a Howa and it is very accurate,Howa 1500 308 win and it shoots great and a Howa 6.5 Grendel.Hard to beat the Howa brand.I haven't shot the Grendel very much yet but when I did the barrel break in it shot extremely well at 100 yards.

Recent Posts