6.5 Creedmoor Jump

Midway, Midsouth, Natchez, everyone I have seen has them in 140gr. Elite Hunter.

Ok got it, they call them Elite Hunters same design and dimensions as a Hybrid Target with a thinner jacket designed for better expansion. They just do not not associate the 140's with the Extreme Outer Limits (EOL) TV broadcast as they do with the 156's.
I finally got the 140 gr Hybrid Target to shoot in mine.
I also was working on a 7mm OCW test and the Classic Hunters were a lot easier to tune than the VLD or Hybrid but again you lose the ballistic coefficient advantage and the long nose.

We don't 'tune' anything with bullets.
Instead, we see best to worst bullet interfacing with the throat (new or old),, and it's a huge affect to results.
Seating testing finds best for the combination bullet/throat. If that best isn't good enough, all you can do is change bullets, or shoot through to re-wearing the throat for that bullet.
Once you do find best seating, it never has to be changed for remaining life of that barrel, unless relying on an in the land (ITL) relationship -for high starting pressure.

Last edited:
The 135 Classic Hunter might be worth a try. Sacrifice a little on BC but might make up for it on speed. They seem to load easy and shoot good in all the 6.5 CM's I've worked with. It would help rule some things out at least.

Yeah, I would like to, I have 130 gr H-VLD, but Midsouth did not show any Berger Bullets in stock. I will probably do a quick test using the 130's at mag length and work from there, I was hoping the Elite Hunters would be easy since the Hybrid Ogive design is supposed to be easier to develop than the VLD design. The only bullets in stock now days are the Hammer Bullets, I may order the 124 HH .

Yeah, I would like to, I have 130 gr H-VLD, but Midsouth did not show any Berger Bullets in stock. I will probably do a quick test using the 130's at mag length and work from there, I was hoping the Elite Hunters would be easy since the Hybrid Ogive design is supposed to be easier to develop than the VLD design. The only bullets in stock now days are the Hammer Bullets, I may order the 124 HH .
Hammers would be an excellent choice to try. If you're looking for a higher BC mono, you could try the BD-2's as well, with a higher BC. My initial experience has been that they are easy to load for as well.

I like Berger hybrid Target bullets because they have consistent weights. The Berger 109gr 6CM hybrid Target and 108 ELDM bullets are nearly interchangeable in my Impact Precision rifle
However, I'm not finding that to be the case in my 6.5CM Tikka action Rock Creek SAMMI spec barrel.
The Hornady 140 ELDM bullets POI are much more consistent at different seating depths than the Berger 140 Hybrid Target
The seating depth trials indicate the Berger 140gr group might be starting to close up at 0.120", but unfortunately I didn't load any at a greater jump distance. That's next on the agenda

Attachments

• A7B72FDE-AAEC-41E6-84A6-8BBD0E6CD044.jpeg
    A7B72FDE-AAEC-41E6-84A6-8BBD0E6CD044.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 83
  • C2180EBF-6608-4F3C-B329-7335158E79D3.jpeg
    C2180EBF-6608-4F3C-B329-7335158E79D3.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 99
I have a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed, I have been trying to locate a load that shoots .50 MOA or better, I started out using H4350 and 140 Berger EOL, I did have this shooting .945 back before deer season. Now, I have been trying to dial this in even better, I started off at Mag length that will reliably load, that came to CBTO of 2.110. That would shoot .945 MOA, now I started lowering the seating depth by 3 thousandths, I went down to 2.098 and noticed my groups never really moved much, they were worse really, went to 1.35 to 1.65 MOA... So, figured WTH, move it back to 2.110 and start working on powder charge, the original charge that shot .945 was at 40.5 of H4350, so started off at that weight and went to 42.5 in half grain increments, the ES and SD were all good, average high of 12 on ES and average low of 5 on SD on each 3 shot loads. However, my groups started off with 1.865 with the 40.5gr load, 2.415 with 41.0, 2.795 with 41.5, 2.459 with 42.0 and 3.342 with 42.5.. At this point I am wondering *** to do now, I do not have much hair left and typing those groups down on this post has my left eye twitching and a strange laugh coming out of my mouth.. So, back to the drawing board, stripped the bolt and did the Alex Wheeler method for finding my Lands and come up with 2.225 CBTO to touch, with Mag length at 2.110, I am jumping .115, now what should I do, check as a single shot and start off at .020 off the lands and work my way back? I checked my torq on my action screws they are set at 55 in pounds, the scope is tight and set at 20 in pounds on rings and 20 in pounds on the weaver rail. I am really frustrated at this point, I have some 130 Berger H VLD I can try, also have RL16 to use as well, but everyone always mention H4350 is the Cat's meow in the Creed, I am wondering if mine doesn't like it, still don't know how it went from .945 in October to now 1.86.. Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Did you find the solution? I have only owned a 2506 and have been shopping creedmore. My 25 is a remington bolt action with zero jump. I was taught to make the loads that way only. Where can I learn more about the effects of tuning seating length to control jump and the effects of such efforts?

Did you find the solution? I have only owned a 2506 and have been shopping creedmore. My 25 is a remington bolt action with zero jump. I was taught to make the loads that way only. Where can I learn more about the effects of tuning seating length to control jump and the effects of such efforts?
Well, I had a new scope installed, and went back to lowest powder charge and mag length, shot three shot group and it was down to like .620 in size. I had also just purchased some Hammer Bullets and scrapped testing the 140 weight class and started on the Hammer Bullets. I have 124gr and 110gr, weight class, loaded the 124's using RL16 up to Compressed load and they shot .578 in size. Then started on the 110's, the two loads I tested so far was shooting .397 and .470 and I have not completed the testing yet, turned freaking Hot on TX and just don't want to finish it until temps cooled down. I will finish it within a month.

Where can I learn more about the effects of tuning seating length to control jump and the effects of such efforts?

Last edited:

Recent Posts