Jump!

As a quick suggestion for a rough estimate of where you're at, you could try the "old timey" method that rcoody suggested a few posts back, of loosely seating the bullet in the casing and closing the bolt. That may be one possibility of seeing if you are even in the same ball park as your guage is showing....

Chamber cast revealed one of the rifling that appeared to extend back into the chamber a bit further than the rest, so the smith used a reamer by hand to ever so slightly trim it off.
Lastly, I tried the David tubbs bullets, and this seemed to help about as much as anything else.

This has me wondering if it has anything to do with your problem. I read through some of your old post.

Rack I appreciate you taking the time to read some of my old posts. It's helpful to gain a background understanding. At this point I have no idea how we got here, but here we are. I have heard that there was a small amount of throat erosion with the David tubbs bullets, but I cannot imagine them causing anything like this. It is possible that my gunsmith got a little heavy handed when he touched up the chamber, but again, I don't think a drunken orangutan could have screwed it up this bad. Plus, the accuracy never really degraded after either of these events, but it sure didn't improve.

I tried seating a bullet out long, and chambering it. Sure as ****, no contact with the rifling. Afterward I measured the test round, CBTO was around 2.95. COAL was around 3.60.

It is depressing to discover that I needed a new barrel, but at the same time, a relief to finally figure out what then hell is going on with this **** rifle, and I get to maintain my dignity regarding my home brewed seating depth gauge :)

I managed to find a pic of the old chamber cast. I'll post it for grins. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong, but it was before the hand reaming, and David tubbs bullets.

Chamber cast pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 87
That cast looks good to me. It would be interesting to see what a new cast would look like. But I think we could just imagine what it would look like. Sorry for your luck. And thanks for the pictures.
P.S. A gun smith once told me that rem. barrels are about 50/50 wether you get a good one or a bad one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts