6.5 x 300 weatherby jump

Full length sizing dies will not resize the case just above the belt. If the round is hard to chamber this could be the problem. Innovative Technologies sells a die that will resize the case just above the belt. The die is not cheap! The last time I checked the price, it was $119.00. Since the brass is expensive this and this is the answer to the problem, it should be worth it. I use it on 300 Weatherby magnum cases and it works very well. Imperial sizing die wax is a must to lubricate the cases. You may wish to talk to Mr. Larry Willis before purchasing the die and get his opinion. Innovative Technologies does have a web sight.

Full length sizing dies will not resize the case just above the belt. If the round is hard to chamber this could be the problem. Innovative Technologies sells a die that will resize the case just above the belt. The die is not cheap! The last time I checked the price, it was $119.00. Since the brass is expensive this and this is the answer to the problem, it should be worth it. I use it on 300 Weatherby magnum cases and it works very well. Imperial sizing die wax is a must to lubricate the cases. You may wish to talk to Mr. Larry Willis before purchasing the die and get his opinion. Innovative Technologies does have a web sight.
Thanks. I'll look into their die. I never would have thought my fl die wouldn't size just above the belt. From what I've read, thats where they tend to swell and split often too.
I will check the cases that i have fired to see what the measurements are.

Using a full length sized and trimmed case, see if you can chamber the empty case and extract it. If you do not feel a sticky bolt lift, the problem is probably
with your load. It is too hot. Hodgdon has a web site that lists loads for your cartridge.

If your brass is not head stamped for the 6.5 x 300 Wby cartridge, it has been formed from 300 magnum Weatherby brass. The thickness of the brass in the neck could also cause a problem. This can be corrected by outside neck turning the brass.

Using a full length sized and trimmed case, see if you can chamber the empty case and extract it. If you do not feel a sticky bolt lift, the problem is probably
with your load. It is too hot. Hodgdon has a web site that lists loads for your cartridge.

If your brass is not head stamped for the 6.5 x 300 Wby cartridge, it has been formed from 300 magnum Weatherby brass. The thickness of the brass in the neck could also cause a problem. This can be corrected by outside neck turning the brass.
So, The brass is definetly 300 wby, not stamped for the 6.5. I did try 5 or so sized cases and they chambered with no issues. Bolt was normal. So, even though I am following load data and am at the min I appears to be a little hot. Without changing powerd type, what would you suggest? Drop down .5 grain and try a few?

Let's try something a little different. Load several rounds with 83.0 gr of H870, the 140 gr bullet you are using, and a large rifle magnum primer. Use the recommended overall Carthage of 3.590 inches. Do not load from the magazine! Single load the round and see if this makes a difference. The major problem now seams to be magazine length. What primer are you using?

I misspelled cartridge.
I was able to get down to the back 40 and try 3 of the same loads only hand feed at 3.59 oal. All three had a sticky bolt, with some minor cratering on the primers, primers were a little flatter than they probably should be. They all fed fine before discharged too.

The load is still too hot. Drop the powder charge 1.0 grain and repeat using 3 rounds. Is the group size acceptable?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.