6.5-300 Weatherby

Michael Lares

With a 26" barrel looks like you need to stay with 124 - 127 grn bullets, or jump up to 150+ grn.
Friends telling me won't shoot 140's as accurate as smaller bullets but, jump up to 156 +- = all good.
On Quick load pretty obvious why. 140 W/ 26" won't hit a "node" unless you slow it wayyy down then what's the point?
My gun won't be here for a while then I'll nail it down physically too.

Whats your twist rate? I seat bullets out at 3.59 and feed from the mag in a factory gun? Also not really sure on what your question is?

Whats your twist rate? I seat bullets out at 3.59 and feed from the mag in a factory gun? Also not really sure on what your question is?
8" twist in factory barrels.
Also, don't be afraid run a lot of jump if your cases are straight / concentric as in neck turning.
My other 2 Weatherbys shoot good and my big one is at .250" jump.

With a 26" barrel looks like you need to stay with 124 - 127 grn bullets, or jump up to 150+ grn.
Friends telling me won't shoot 140's as accurate as smaller bullets but, jump up to 156 +- = all good.
On Quick load pretty obvious why. 140 W/ 26" won't hit a "node" unless you slow it wayyy down then what's the point?
How does quick load tell you that a bullet won't find a "node"? Quick load is a tool not a bible. I have shot many 6.5-300s that shoot 140s just fine. I never heard of such a thing

It was IMR8133 and Fed GM215Ms for both. Retumbo is a good replacement for the now discontinued IMR8133.

130 OTM w. 79.5gr 3.062" CBTO
140 NAB W. 79.0gr, 3.025" CBTO
Thanks,Lance
Do you know how far your jumping the 140 NAB
from the rifling?
I've tried various powders (not Retumbo)and different seating depths with no luck
The next thing I'm going to try is neck tension,I'm currently using .002 less than bullet diameter
If you have any suggestions it'd be helpful
I forgot to mention the rifle is a Cooper Model 92 Back Country 6.5-300 wby

I wouldn't be taking QL predictions as gospel…I have a Pressure Trace and not once did QL match my results without some serious tweaking, in the end, I gave it away.
I have an 8" twist 31" Bartlein blank here that was earmarked to be chambered in 6.5-300 Weatherby, broke up with my wife, had to close my business and have many unfinished projects, but this is one I regret not finishing first, I put my custom throated 264WM as priority.
I do not believe for a second that your barrel will mimic someone else's barrels' likes or dislikes, I had 5 25-06's at one time, none liked the same loads or bullet weights as each other…

Cheers.