6.5 Creed replace the .308 for hunting?

The 30-06 isn't relevant to the ops question.
He has 2.8" magazine limits
Roger that. He's also limited by the lever throw/bolt throw. The -06 (unfortunately) just won't fit. The cartridges based on the 7X57 may not fit either. But there are several good rounds based on the .308, depending on what he wants to do with the rifle. Personally, I like (in reverse order of performance) the 260 Remington, 7mm-08, .308 and the 338 Federal or 358 Winchester. That said, I think the .338 Federal would really up the game of this rifle, both for close woods and for longer ranges out to 350-400 yards. It would require a 24 inch barrel to get the best out of the optimum bullet weights, though. For instance, the Hodgden manual lists a 215 Sierra bullet at 2665 fps or so with Leverlution powder. That would be a hammer, and he would have four more like it for follow-up shots. The impact would be in the 300 winmag range but with a larger, heavier bullet, and the exit wound inside 200 yards would be the size of my fist.
30-06 capability is far in excess of 308. Loaded to the same pressure, the performance margin is much more.

The design of the 30-06 cartridge is still better than all the new stuff. Have you measured the ratio of neck length to bore size on a 30-06 ? That means you can load the 30-06 for proper performance, while keeping the bullet out of the powder column. Did I mention the lower pressure ?

The 30-06 case capacity is 21% greater than a .308 . That fact alone should tell you that the quoted number of 100 fps difference to a 308 is not comparing apples with apples.
All true. With the right powders, I can get up to 200 fps over most .308 loads. And about the only thing one can do to improve the -06 case design is go to the AI design. It gives a little more case capacity, a lot better case life, and velocity into the lower end of the 300 Win-Short-mag. But its off the subject, because the round is too long for the Savage 99 action.

Roger that. He's also limited by the lever throw/bolt throw. The -06 (unfortunately) just won't fit. The cartridges based on the 7X57 may not fit either. But there are several good rounds based on the .308, depending on what he wants to do with the rifle. Personally, I like (in reverse order of performance) the 260 Remington, 7mm-08, .308 and the 338 Federal or 358 Winchester. That said, I think the .338 Federal would really up the game of this rifle, both for close woods and for longer ranges out to 350-400 yards. It would require a 24 inch barrel to get the best out of the optimum bullet weights, though. For instance, the Hodgden manual lists a 215 Sierra bullet at 2665 fps or so with Leverlution powder. That would be a hammer, and he would have four more like it for follow-up shots. The impact would be in the 300 winmag range but with a larger, heavier bullet, and the exit wound inside 200 yards would be the size of my fist.

All true. With the right powders, I can get up to 200 fps over most .308 loads. And about the only thing one can do to improve the -06 case design is go to the AI design. It gives a little more case capacity, a lot better case life, and velocity into the lower end of the 300 Win-Short-mag. But its off the subject, because the round is too long for the Savage 99 action.
Actually, the Sherman and Gibbs wildcats both blow the .30-06 AI away. I have a custom .30-06 AI, and am not very fond of it. While it does give noticeable enhancements over a standard .30-06 Sprg, it still doesn't hold a candle to the .300 Sherman or .30 Gibbs...All based off the .30-06/.270/.280 case.

As I said earlier I guess I'll stay with .308 since I already have a very nice 6.5 CM X-Bolt Pro.

I'm glad you decided to stay with the .308. With both hunting and competition bullets and ammo available ranging from 100 gr to 225 gr, the .308 can do so many things well with such versatility I couldn't imagine giving it up.

I have many fond memories with my Rem 700 BDL in .308 Win with a 22" barrel. From hogs and deer to prairie dogs, it does it all. Great accuracy without much effort at all.

Long live the .308!

Never mind the popcorn, get Mud on here and break out the gloves:mad:;):rolleyes:
Nah, just bored after work... And trying to dispel old wives tale myths about certain cartridges. I get it that to some folks the .30-06 might be a "family tradition" of sorts, but that doesn't mean it's got special powers or abilities, or that it's more capable than it really is. Nothing wrong with family traditions at all, but you have to look past folklore and accept reality of what something is...And what it ain't.

Well if the M99 can handle a .308 Win cartridge I wouldn't go with either 6.5 Creed or .308 Win in a lever rifle, I think I'd opt for the .358 Win or perhaps a .338 Federal.

For out to 300-400 yards I really like the .358 Winchester. In the past, as with many cartridges, the 358 received a bad rap as being a heavy recoiling, short range brush busting cartridge. I shoot my 358 at 300 yards all of the time. I am recoil sensitive, the 358 just does a nice job and it doesn't beat you up. A couple of years ago I shot a nice 200lb black bear, it ran 25 feet before it balled up. Brass and ammo are available, not like the 30-30 or the "06, but nonetheless available off the shelf. The 358 Winchester is a worth while cartridge for your rebarrel and.......they are a rare find, but Savage did chamber their 99s in .358 Winchester. Take a look at the cartridge and start comparing other cartridges in the same category, you might be surprised. I recently read a post on here where the OP was tired of getting beat up with the recoil of the 338 Federal, and others on the thread also expressed the same concerns.

Actually, the Sherman and Gibbs wildcats both blow the .30-06 AI away. I have a custom .30-06 AI, and am not very fond of it. While it does give noticeable enhancements over a standard .30-06 Sprg, it still doesn't hold a candle to the .300 Sherman or .30 Gibbs...All based off the .30-06/.270/.280 case.
I agree. I had a neighbor back in Texas who shot a 270 Gibbs. I just don't want to shorten the neck on the -06, so I would go with the AI for that reason. Off subject but fun to talk about. The 30 Hawk-Schovil is in there, too.

I admit that I didn't read all 9 pages leading up to this.
The original post ask the question was whether to go with a CM or a 308. I am assuming he meant 308 Win and not just 308/30 caliber.
Yes a 6.5 cheats the wind a little more than a 30 cal. So learn to compensate for the difference.
A 308 anything still has more killing power if you can hit it.

I would rather have a 308 Win or any 30 cal rifle in my hands if I had to face a charging Bear or wanted to kill anything bigger than Deer size game.
Not trying to offend any one or sound like an expert. JMO

morning, I for one favor the vintage 308. with the new powders
and new bullets this cartridge will b around for a very long
time. MY favorite bullet for the 308 is the 135gr. TTSX barnes.
this bullet will take out 90% of the game in the world with
proper usage..
I use this bullet with total confidence. very accurate, fast,
reliable, a total killer. powders may vary. u have H414, RL15,
4064, 4320, WW760 and on. cartridge has been thru wars
and is still around. justme gbot tum

I'd go with whichever you are more comfortable with at the range you anticipate shooting. I have a Savage FCP-SR in .308 that I love and would not hesitate taking on a Caribou hunt. I also have a 6.5X47 Lapua and love the 6.5 pills, with those high BCs, as they are less susceptible to wind drift at extended ranges. However, this benefit does not significantly come into play until you're reaching out to a range where either cartridge becomes a bit marginal on a critter that size anyway, so go with your gut, Grizzlies be damned!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts