6.5 Creed no penetration

Maybe drop to 120gr and load it as hot as possible. Cu has less mass than Pb. To get the desired Energy, if you don't have mass, ramp up the velocity.

I used hornady 143gr pershion dropped this guy at 650 yards one hit the rib and blow everything up into soup aka heart and lungs the other missed the rib and broke the back side front leg no exit wound 3" apart group
20191129_180859.jpg

Yeah same here. We hunted 3B back in 16 and did fairly well. This year there were so many people. We hiked in 6.5 miles on the Thursday before season. By Saturday we had already seen 12 other hunters in the area that far in. Glassed 3 good bucks a day before the season, they were in a hurry to make it to the refuge it seemed. After those nothing but little guys. Saw a forky and spike Sunday, another forky Monday, then a 18-20" 3x3 Tuesday but we were around 5 miles in and not big enough to want to pack it out. Cat and bear tracks everywhere. Deer herd is the lowest I've seen in my lifetime. Sad...
yea, not many deer in Cali. anymore... But the lions are nice and FAT.
It's a shame.

I've had good luck with the 120 TTSX on a number of animals. As we all know, shot placement is everything. Personally I'll get as close as I can before I pull the trigger. But sometimes these things happen. Amazing the deer survived and seemed healthy.. Wish you would have opened the stomach and recovered the bullet.

As much as I wanted to get that bullet I also hate getting stomach contents on me when I'm handling meat. It was miserably hot weather and I just got the meat on ice as fast as I could. The next day we went back to fish through the stomach but the coyotes had it cleaned up like we were never there! Impressive.

I placed an order for some Hammer Bullets and that's all we're going to shoot for now on at game animals. I have 6.5, .277, 7mm and 308 cal Hammers now so I expect good results. Not on gut shot deer of course but marginally hit animals I hope we get a blood trail.

That rifle will put the 143 eld x in one hole at 100 yds. Sub 1/2" all day. Kinda crazy for a $400 rifle. As much as I wouldn't want to shoot another deer in the paunch, I'd love to see what lead cup and core may have done vs copper. Just curious.

I don't think you would have liked that any better, Sir.

Switch to Lehigh Controlled Chaos 122Gr. It is made specifically for the 6.5 Creedmoor. It expands and fragments in tissue. Have been using them in California for about 7 years now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.