6mm Creed or 6.5-284

Pics or it didn't happen!! lol

Hey, great shooting! I'm glad you tried the 6mm & even happier it worked out for you.

t
Thank you! I have never shot a gun that small at an animal but after watching how well it did I am thinking it might be my new antelope rifle!

Fair enough here are the pics!

First pic-Trophy pic, Second- In hole, Third- Exit hole after going through the shoulder.

Attachments

• IMG_6302.jpg
    IMG_6302.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6305.jpg
    IMG_6305.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 57
Run the 6mm Creedmoor. Both it and the 6.5 Creedmoor are great cartridges. 6 mm creed with a 108 will lay the hammer on a antelope. Buddy of mine kills his cow elk with a 243 AI, and another buddy a 6mm creed. You'll be fine on an antelope.

Run the 6mm Creedmoor. Both it and the 6.5 Creedmoor are great cartridges. 6 mm creed with a 108 will lay the hammer on a antelope. Buddy of mine kills his cow elk with a 243 AI, and another buddy a 6mm creed. You'll be fine on an antelope.
Yep was very impressed with its results on the two does I saw taken with it! Hopefully going to get more data by the end of this rifle season here in Montana.

I haven't used the 6mm Creedmoor, but I have used cartridges like the 6mm Internation Donaldson version and the 243 WSSM as well as the 6mm Rem, .240 Wby Mag, and .243 Win, the one I really like the best is my 6XC in my re-barreled Weatherby MkV Varmintmaster miniature action, it's a Deer stopper, punching way over its weight in the Deer field, yet lightweight and light recoil, and deadly accurate from my rifle... The 6XC is about as close as they come to the 6mm Creed, I'd say go with the 6mm Creed. I think G David Tubbs got it right with the 6XC. Just my 0.2 Cheers

Wby MK V Varmintmaster 22.250 rebarrel project 005 (1).jpg

Hello everyone! I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot and wanted your guys opinion. Yes, I know that's going to leave a lot of different opinions but I have a antelope doe tag that I am going after tomorrow here on Montana's opener. I originally was going to use my 6.5-284 with 156 Bergers and my dad was going to use my 6mm Creed. Well now he is bringing his 300 WM. I have hunted and harvested several animals with the 6.5-284 over the past 7 years and the 6 creed is new to me this year. I have shot it out to 900 yards with the 108 eld-m. I really want to see terminal performance on how the little 6 creed does, but I know the 6.5-284 is a hammer. What should I do? I'm 60/40% on leaning toward the 6mm Creed. Thanks and good luck to fellow hunters getting out this weekend here in Montana.
IF I had to pick between the two my 6.5-284 would get the nod but then I'm rapidly becoming a 6.5 Nut.

In my mind the 6mm just isn't quite enough for medium to large game even out to 500. That being said the first dozen or so Pronghorns I shot were with a .243win.

I'd rather bring more gun than not enough though so that's just me.

I love the 6mm's for small hogs and predators though.

I haven't used the 6mm Creedmoor, but I have used cartridges like the 6mm Internation Donaldson version and the 243 WSSM as well as the 6mm Rem, .240 Wby Mag, and .243 Win, the one I really like the best is my 6XC in my re-barreled Weatherby MkV Varmintmaster miniature action, it's a Deer stopper, punching way over its weight in the Deer field, yet lightweight and light recoil, and deadly accurate from my rifle... The 6XC is about as close as they come to the 6mm Creed, I'd say go with the 6mm Creed. I think G David Tubbs got it right with the 6XC. Just my 0.2 Cheers

View attachment 400643
That sir is a very fine rifle!

IF I had to pick between the two my 6.5-284 would get the nod but then I'm rapidly becoming a 6.5 Nut.

In my mind the 6mm just isn't quite enough for medium to large game even out to 500. That being said the first dozen or so Pronghorns I shot were with a .243win.

I'd rather bring more gun than not enough though so that's just me.

I love the 6mm's for small hogs and predators though.
Yeah I really enjoy my 6.5-284 and have a lot of good harvests with it. I didn't mind the 6mm creed though on antelope. I originally bought the 6mm creed as a long range predator gun and then when my son turns old enough to hunt here in Montana I think it will be a great beginner deer rifle for the first two years.

That sir is a very fine rifle!
Oops, I posted the wrong photo that's my .224 Wby Mag, here is the 6XC with the re-barrel. Both shoot great. I bought them originally as a pair and had the stocks hand-picked by Weatherby so the stocks look near the same. One was in .224 Wby Mag, and the other... which I re-barrel keeping the factory profile on the new barrel, it... started out as a .22-250 from Weatherby... I popped a ton of Yotes with that rifle, and now it's one of my favorite walking Deer rifles in 6XC. I set both of them up with 3.5-10x40mm Leupolds and had them put in mil dots at Leupold, that was back in the 80s.
Cheers

6XC Varmintmaster .22-250 re barrel 023.jpg
6XC Varmintmaster with .22-250 Mk take barrel 028.jpg

Oops, I posted the wrong photo that's my .224 Wby Mag, here is the 6XC with the re-barrel. Both shoot great. I bought them originally as a pair and had the stocks hand-picked by Weatherby so the stocks look near the same. One was in .224 Wby Mag, and the other... which I re-barrel keeping the factory profile on the new barrel, it... started out as a .22-250 from Weatherby... I popped a ton of Yotes with that rifle, and now it's one of my favorite walking Deer rifles in 6XC. I set both of them up with 3.5-10x40mm Leupolds and had them put in mil dots at Leupold, that was back in the 80s.
Cheers

View attachment 400792View attachment 400791
Still beautiful! Nice looking guns and sounds like a great shooting rifle. What bullet are you running in 6xc for deer? Performance out of it?

Still beautiful! Nice looking guns and sounds like a great shooting rifle. What bullet are you running in 6xc for deer? Performance out of it?
Well, the three-game bullets I run at times depending on the Deer; White, or Mule... are the Barnes 80gr TTSX BT, next... Nosler 95gr Ballistic Tip, and the Nosler 100gr Partition. I've been looking really hard at the Hammer Hunter 80gr & 88gr in .243 cal.
Barnes 80gr... 3400 fps, Nolser 95gr 3000 fps, Nosler Par 100gr 2900 fps. I think I can get a little more out of it, but... I don't like to run my rifles hard.
Cheers

Recent Posts