6mm Creed or 6.5-284

That gun was stolen many years ago--but I used 100 gr Nosler Partition at approximately 3500(no chrony at that time of my life) verified by drop at various ranges. I never had a deer walk after being hit properly--period!

...... So for the 6-284 I am assuming you just neck the 6.5-284 down to 6? That would be a sweet little round as well. I have been thoroughly impressed with the 6.5-284 shooting 147 eld m at 2950 fps.

Yes. I use Lapua 6.5-284 brass, neck down with a bushing die. It's a barrel burner & doesn't work at it's best from a short action but.... I'm a speed freak, always have been. 🤷‍♂️

t

Yes. I use Lapua 6.5-284 brass, neck down with a bushing die. It's a barrel burner & doesn't work at it's best from a short action but.... I'm a speed freak, always have been. 🤷‍♂️

t
That is awesome! Have you ever shot an elk with it? Also, what is barrel life approximately on that? I know it depends on how hot you get the barrel and consecutive shot strings but for deer and antelope hunting I would think that thing is a hammer.

That is awesome! Have you ever shot an elk with it? Also, what is barrel life approximately on that? I know it depends on how hot you get the barrel and consecutive shot strings but for deer and antelope hunting I would think that thing is a hammer.

According to the Sierra reloading manual, the 6-284 held the 1000yd benchrest record for a while. So, yeah they tend to shoot quite well.

6mm is too small for elk IMHO, although it has been done on many of occasions. I have 6.5's, 7mm's, .30's, .338's, .358's & a .375 for elk.

Barrel life... yeah.... it has one of those 😅 Honestly, if you treat it right, you'll get a solid 1000 rounds. That's it, on a good day.

t

I bought a Savage 116 awhile back in 6.5x284.
I had the front face of the action trued up. Also had the bolt face refaced and squared. Curt of Curt's custom guns says alot of Savage bolt faces are not square but domed.
It's flat out a shooter with a Shilen match select 26" barrel.
It loves Berger 140 hybrids at .084" off the lands with Retumbo.
Velocity right at 3000 fps.
If I burn out the barrel, I just screw on a new one.

Hello everyone! I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot and wanted your guys opinion. Yes, I know that's going to leave a lot of different opinions but I have a antelope doe tag that I am going after tomorrow here on Montana's opener. I originally was going to use my 6.5-284 with 156 Bergers and my dad was going to use my 6mm Creed. Well now he is bringing his 300 WM. I have hunted and harvested several animals with the 6.5-284 over the past 7 years and the 6 creed is new to me this year. I have shot it out to 900 yards with the 108 eld-m. I really want to see terminal performance on how the little 6 creed does, but I know the 6.5-284 is a hammer. What should I do? I'm 60/40% on leaning toward the 6mm Creed. Thanks and good luck to fellow hunters getting out this weekend here in Montana.
Try new things take the Creed and lopes aren't that hard to kill but I don't know that I would venture past 500 or 600 with it on an animal.

I purchased a 6mm CM and have been pretty impressed with accuracy. I have only loaded 107-110 Gr bullets so far, I did not buy a 7.5" twist for fast light bullets. I was always a big 243 Win fan, but with most factory rifles built with 9.25" to 10" twist rate, 105+ Gr bullets typically will not stabilize. Many whitetails have been taken with 90-100gr bullets, but they do not have the high BC of the heavy 6mm bullets.

To answer your question, I would hunt with the 6.5X284 if it is what you are confident in. I think the 6 CM would do the job, but if your hammer is your goto hunting rifle, that is what I would use? Or take them both as others have suggested, the little 6 CM may become your new hammer!

Thank you everyone for all your comments! I am just getting behind my computer now but I wanted to give an update with the hunt info and what I chose to take. I ended up bringing the 6MM creed and as someone above stated it might be my new hammer for antelope and whitetail/mule deer does. We got on a group of antelope at first light and watched them going into a draw about 1.5 miles from the truck. I grabbed my rifle and pack and started the stalk. I got to the last ridge that I watched them disappear into and started crawling over the edge. We only had doe tags, and when I crest over the hill there is a buck of a lifetime standing with this herd feeding at 450 yards. I was so heart broken that I couldn't shoot him and he was the closest antelope to me out of the herd. There was a lone doe all by herself standing on the right and she was a big bodied one so she became the acquired target. I ranged a bush behind her and the range finder said 485 yards. I dialed the 6mm Creed and settled on the trigger. She was slightly quartered away but the shot hit behind the shoulder on the entrance side and exited through the shoulder on the off side. Entrance side was probably the size of a nickel and the exit was close to a half dollar. I am shooting the 108 eld m factory load out of this Ruger American Predator at 3000 FPS with a 22" barrel. After the impact, she turned and death ran before expiring 20 yards away. My step dad also harvested his doe with it at 400 yards and had very similar results. I am now torn because the performance was so good out of it and it is much lighter than my 6.5-284. Thanks again for everyone's answers, and good luck to everyone that will be out hunting this year.