6.5 Creed FPS 20” and 22” barrel

All bbls will increase in MV between 80-150 rounds. Of all the rifles I've built I've only seen one bbl not pick up speed. Most custom bbls pick up anywhere from 40-80fps but I have had a couple that were around 110fps.

All bbls will increase in MV between 80-150 rounds. Of all the rifles I've built I've only seen one bbl not pick up speed. Most custom bbls pick up anywhere from 40-80fps but I have had a couple that were around 110fps.

Thanks for the confirmation. I have not realized it in such a tangible way before as I did this time.
Now the big questions are, how does this speed up affect burn rate, pressure, ES, SD and accuracy? if I recognized an accuracy node at 2800fps before it sped up, should I experience the same accuracy at 2900fps when that same charge gives me the faster velocity? Or will the accuracy at any given speed remain the same, but the powder charge to get there just be less?

I think this is actually explaining a lot of what I've experienced in my recent 6.5 CM load workup on a new rifle.

All bbls are different in that respect. I also shoot another velocity ladder after a bbl has sped up to see if I am still in a node with the current powder charge. Sometimes my load remains the same, sometimes I decrease my charge, and sometimes I am able to increase my charge to get to the next velocity node.

This is mine at just over 6lbs as it sits. 22" and getting 2666fps out of factory eldm ammo. The creed was made to sport a 22" tube. The box says it was with a 24 but I'm only slightly behind that and I only have 20 rounds through it. I will also be moving to lapua brass after the first 100 rounds and more than likely coating them also.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.PNG
    IMG_1351.PNG
    470.4 KB · Views: 126
This is mine at just over 6lbs as it sits. 22" and getting 2666fps out of factory eldm ammo. The creed was made to sport a 22" tube. The box says it was with a 24 but I'm only slightly behind that and I only have 20 rounds through it. I will also be moving to lapua brass after the first 100 rounds and more than likely coating them also.

Wow, just over 6lbs w a Manners EH5, 22" bbl with full shank, and a magazine??? Not necessarily calling ******** but I'd like to see it on the scale. I pulled every trick I could think of on mine and it's still 6lbs 6 ounces with a lighter stock and barrel.

I have a 18.5"benchmark on my tikka T3. I get 2771 using the 143 ELD-X and IMR4451. I tried RL17, H4350, IMR4064 and Varget and this was the one that gave me best Velocity with very decent accuracy.
I killed a deer last month with it using 123gr SST with great results. I got 2880 with IMR4451 and got even better using varget I'm pushing them @2988 I believe the shorter barrel benefits form a faster burning powder

Hornady SST 123gr
CCI 200
Varget 42gr
BTOL: 2.205"
Hornady Brass
MV: 2988fps

Hornady ELD-X 143gr
CCI 200
IMR 4451 42gr
BTOL: 2.205"
Hornady Brass
MV: 2771fps

By just over i meant it's about 6.5lbs been a while since I weighed it but I actually went to that stock to and weight. After spending a a ton to cut weight. Light recoil pad ti everything that was steel and aluminum on anything I could get away with.
And good catch I weight it without the mag and it didn't have the break on at that time either so it prob over 6.5 by a bit.

I'll get a pics of it on scale when I get home in two weeks. It have the pierce ultra light action and bolt. Even a ti firing pin. Hose guys were great with helping find places to cut weight.
I'm still tire on whether the bottom metal with mag is lighter. It's all plastic but the mag springs. After they pointed out how it was really light and would be hard to shoot I added the stock for a bit more weight. Also I like thumbhole. So you are correct I should have worded that better not just over 6lbs as seen prob closer to 7.

Wow, just over 6lbs w a Manners EH5, 22" bbl with full shank, and a magazine??? Not necessarily calling ******** but I'd like to see it on the scale. I pulled every trick I could think of on mine and it's still 6lbs 6 ounces with a lighter stock and barrel.

What stock did you use? My 6.( I wanted to be able to go over 500 yards but I'm building a 25dti for under 300 and that will be as light as possible with a short barrel. I've not found the stock I wanted yet. Hastings recoil pad cuts a decent amount from the ones manners puts on btw.

No problem. Wasn't trying to cut ya down or call you out but if you hit those weights with those components, I wanted to know your secret! The ultra light Pierce TI is 3 ounces lighter than the LPA TI. if you cut .750" off the breech end of the Proof bbl you can save an additional 3.25 ounces. Mine handles pretty darn well and is pretty easy to shoot. You have a darn good looking Rifle there

26BB562A-046A-47EC-B33F-EE8D79D29538.jpeg
A9463B66-3DC3-476D-A56C-60367184746F.jpeg
EC315770-6580-4477-9196-61A19B79D36E.jpeg
I used a McMillian Hunters edge. Pic of the rifle is earlier in this thread. Here was an 800 yard group ( 3 shots, bull is 4")off a spartan bipod the other day. Yes my stock has a Hastings on it. Came in at 22 ounces

All good glad you did or people would think it's easy line the weight of savage light weights that are weighed with no bolt. I bet we are very close in weight and sounds like you did just what I did cutting down breech and every spot I could. Man that shoots well hoping I can get mine to that point after reloading. Just ran out of time before this hunt. That is the same stock I am thinking for my 25. Just the same color as my 6.5.
Can't help but notice you are one of those weirdo left handed guys. Lol just kidding I do most things left handed except write and shoot.

I am really surprised as to how LITTLE velocity drop per inch, on the chart.
Am looking at a rifle with 24 inch barrel, and another, with 20 inch. Makes the choice a little easier

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.