20" or 22" 6.5 Creedmoor

sadstory

I'd love to get some opinions/thoughts (read help) on deciding on a 20" or 22" barrel for my new rifle build. A few things to consider:

Hunting will be my main activity, but interested in getting into some casual local long distance shooting competitions.

I will be often be shooting suppressed so the shorter barrel weighs-in when it comes to swinging around a rifle in the wilds. How much will I be giving up in distance when I am shooting plates/targets 750-1000+ yards between a 20" and 22".

I will not be loading hot to make up for lost barrel length.

Mostly hunting antelope, deer, varmint, and elk. (I'm not looking to engage in a discussion about feasibility of 6.5 CM for the different species mentioned, I am looking to reduce safe contents). I'd like a 6.5CM rifle that will keep me hitting steel @ 1000+ yards and hunt, effectively, to extended distances, and would like to hear about the pros and cons between 20" and 22" given some of the other considerations mentioned.

I have a 22 inch barrel and like it so far. I would love to know your dads powder and charge information. I was told I wouldn't be able to get but around 2700 FPS with 140's with my 22 inch tube.
Give RL19, 23, and/or 26 a try. All three have been working very well in all three of my 260's with I think the edge going to the RL19 as it's the faster burning of the three. 23 and 26 have very similar burn rates to RL22 and 25 so you may tend to get better results with the 19 in the shorter barrels.

I found I was running out of case with RL23 and 26 without seeing any noticeable pressure signs and the first load I tried with RL19 was giving me .5-.7 moa accuracy and quit right there.

I have a 22 inch barrel and like it so far. I would love to know your dads powder and charge information. I was told I wouldn't be able to get but around 2700 FPS with 140's with my 22 inch tube.

He runs rl-17 and rl-26 to get those velocities. H4350 runs around 2750 in his rifle

I'm getting 2750 fps out my 140's in my 20" with Lapua Brass and a healthy dose of Varget and 2950 fps out of my 123's using imr 4166

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.