6.5 PRC Barrel Length (22" or 24")

24" would be my choice with that case size so you can take advantage of slower powders.
This is my viewpoint as well. I think the whole point of the 6.5 PRC is to take advantage of the 2950-3000FPS performance sweet spot when combined with the ballistic qualities offered by 140-143 class, high BC bullets. While some may choose to go short, it seems the value of the trade-off of 2-4" in rifle length against the potential ballistic performance should be seriously considered....IMO.

I am building a lightweight mountain / sheep rifle. I would like to go with a 20 or 22' barrel but have heard that I should strongly consider a 24" barrel in order to get the most out of this caliber. What are you guys thoughts? Is a shorter barrel limiting the 6.5 PRC? Thanks in advance for any feedback?

Been there with a 260 and depending on what your rifle weight goal is, if u have one, I went with a 24" thin sporter and took the weight off in other areas: light weight mtn stock, drilled out everything not needed, 36mm scope objective or less, etc. saved far more weight than any 3 or 4 inches of sporter barrel.

For a light weight, short barreled build I'd be considering a 6.5 Sherman shortmag (or other SS/SST calibers).
I agree with that. I just talked to Rich and he said I could get 2900' out of a 22" tube with a 160! Can't beat that!

Look at the Match Grade Machine website. They did some tests on barrels and cut them back one inch at a time, then charted and graphed the results along with their recommendations. The 6.5 PCR was not one of the rounds but I do remember that the 6.5 Creedmoor was. That test should give you the answer you're looking for.

I'm only getting 2920 fps in my 24" proof research sendero light barrel with the 143 gr hornady precision hunter ammo even though the box says 2960 fps on it. It only has 30 rounds down the tube though, maybe it'll speed up a bit with some more shooting.

It will speed up. I'd be surprised if you don't end up with at least 2970 fps at around 70 rounds down range.

I would go with a 24" barrel but get a smaller contour barrel (#3 contour). You are gonna lose more weight with the contour than you are chopping 2" off the barrel length. Get a carbon fiber stock and try to cut weight elsewhere.

I just built one on a 22" proof bbl and couldn't be happier. With good brass hitting the market you should easily be able to surpass the velocities of a 6.5x284 with a 26" bbl and you gain the short action to boot. I only have 33 rounds through mine so far so final speeds of my gun have not been determined yet but I am shooting a 21" creedmoor with Lapua brass and 143 ELDX at 2860 and have loaded the brass 5 times so far. I will venture to say my 22" PRC will end up around 3050 with a 143 with decent brass life and temp stable powders. I kind of regret not going 20" on this build.

I am building a lightweight mountain / sheep rifle. I would like to go with a 20 or 22' barrel but have heard that I should strongly consider a 24" barrel in order to get the most out of this caliber.

First and foremost, there is far too much hand wringing over 2" of barrel length. :( You've selected the cartridge, you have probably narrowed down your bullet selection so now it's a game of working up a load based on your components and barrel length.

I've built a handful of rifles using the PRC cartridge, a couple for very specific uses (competition) and a couple for general hunting. The competition rifles, one had a 20" barrel and one had a 22" barrel. Both were Proof Research Lt. Sendero or Sendero contours in the fast twist. Both were designed to be used with suppressors.

Either length would put the Creedmoor back in the pack and still have plenty of energy left at 800 yards for a clean kill so long as shot placement was correct. The only drawback I saw was with the Swift bullets in the hunting rifles which came up short for energy at the longer distances. This is due to the lack of BC when compared to the now broadly available and accurate VLD bullets.

I am in the process of building another comp rifle for myself and yes, it will be a 20" Proof Research barrel with a suppressor. It can, if desired, become a very nice lightweight hunting rifle also.:eek:;)

Enjoy your project!

I'd consider a Christensen Arms Carbon Fiber wrapped stainless steel barrel. Very lightweight, accurate and go for a longer length to get the most you can out of the cartridge.

Remember also, what if the barrel you choose doesn't give you the accuracy that you are looking for with a certain particular bullet? You might have to go with another choice. So factor in a certain degree of flexibility just in case.

you said you want 20 to 22 so why no do what you what. 100 fps isn't worth discussing if you want a shorter barrel.

My goal would be to push a 143 or 147 grain above 2,900 FPS. I don't need 3,000+ but also don't want to be below 2,900 FPS. Sounds like a 22' barrel would still achieve this which I would be happy with.

I just built one on a 22" proof bbl and couldn't be happier. With good brass hitting the market you should easily be able to surpass the velocities of a 6.5x284 with a 26" bbl and you gain the short action to boot. I only have 33 rounds through mine so far so final speeds of my gun have not been determined yet but I am shooting a 21" creedmoor with Lapua brass and 143 ELDX at 2860 and have loaded the brass 5 times so far. I will venture to say my 22" PRC will end up around 3050 with a 143 with decent brass life and temp stable powders. I kind of regret not going 20" on this build.
Let's see it! You always build killer short barrel rifles!

Here ya go. Don't have any real great pictures of it yet

Attachments

• B6598680-3E94-48ED-A9E9-A0B7BB7C0588.jpeg
    B6598680-3E94-48ED-A9E9-A0B7BB7C0588.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 919
  • 629E64B8-9F99-4C31-8FFE-0F4004161ECC.jpeg
    629E64B8-9F99-4C31-8FFE-0F4004161ECC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 908
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.