6.5 Creedmoor Barrel Life

I use a battery powered bait bucket aerator pump with tygon tubing to help cool down the barrel between 3 shot groups in my 300WM Sendero. It is just enough air to help cool down a little faster and control overall heat buildup. Simple and all sorts of additional ways to increase cooler air by running the plastic tubing through icy water. I have used one of those crazy straw plastic cups where the straw spirals around in the cup thereby increasing cooling of the air when filled with crushed ice and water.

I've used a little battery powered pump like that but on a hot Texas day, air circulation is just not enough. So I have resorted to applying ziplock bags of ice to the barrel. I run the bag up and down the barrel an few times all the wayback to the scope, then press on the sides of the barrel under the scope. A very hot barrel (after only 2 shots) is cooled in under 1 minute. Honestly I don't know why I've never seen anyone do this before. It works great. Heck any water left on the barrel evaporates in 30 seconds. It cool the barrel down fast so I take all of my shots at a low / moderate temperature. When I'm developing loads I allot about 20 minutes / 5 shot group on a cool day without ice, and when it's 100 degrees in the shade I do the same with ice. When I shoot steel, not caring about the tightest group, I'll shoot 5 in a string before cooling. 3000s round out of a Browning Xbolt and she's still accurate.

http://www.teludynetech.com/wp-content/themes/teludynetech/images/Guns_America-1.pdf
https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.5_hs.php
There is another I cannot find that uses a barrelof 1.35 or larger dia that is driled around the bore that uses convection to draw air along the bore's length for longer strings less heat wear and the added benefit of reducing/eliminating harmonic disruptions. Do they work? I've read a bunch about them and considerring the top process for a target rifle built. Just a tough nut to swallow on top of an already expensive for me build

Purchase a barrel chiller. These fit inside your rifles chamber and blow air through the barrel cooling it in less than 1/4 the time ( maybe faster depending on the model) it takes to cool down without one. You can get one that runs on batteries or USB plug into some battery system. When I sight two rifles in I set one aside with the chiller and shoot five rounds with the other then change the cooler to that rifle and start the cycle over.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts