6.5 Creedmoor Barrel Life

H1000 is what David Tubb uses in his 6XC ammo. If you can get RL23 to pressure keep using it. h4350 is very hard on throats. I don't use it in anything anymore. It does what you want but at the cost of your barrel life.
I'd order a box of his 6xc ammo for break in. If it shoots to velocity expected break one open and copy it. He invented it so I'd think he would be using optimized powder for it.

Go to Youtube and search "Long Range Only, HBN" and you will see the entire explanation on why HBN saves barrels AND makes cold bore shots impact almost exactly where "warm barrel" shots land.

Also on Youtube check out the David Tubb's site for HBN and listen to why he feels it is a great bullet lubricant.

Eric B.

BTW, strangely I see no other posters commenting on HBN tumbled bullets. Is HBN that strange that nobody here uses it? Forget moly coated bullets. HBN actually does what moly coating was supposed to do.

Last edited:
H1000 is what David Tubb uses in his 6XC ammo. If you can get RL23 to pressure keep using it. h4350 is very hard on throats. I don't use it in anything anymore. It does what you want but at the cost of your barrel life.
I'd order a box of his 6xc ammo for break in. If it shoots to velocity expected break one open and copy it. He invented it so I'd think he would be using optimized powder for it.
I've been thinking of trying a cooler running powder in 6.5 creed, like h1000. Wonder how it would do with a 121 grain mono?

I've been thinking of trying a cooler running powder in 6.5 creed, like h1000. Wonder how it would do with a 121 grain mono?
Your looking for a single base powder. for the lighter bullets like the 121 H322 may be what your looking for for the 121's I didn't load it. BLC-2 is also a cooler burning powder that may work very well with the lighter bullets. It's a great 147-155grn 308 powder. It's not varget like in temps but easy enough to keep the load in tune. I've shot about 50# through various smaller cases over the years and it was always accurate with pretty wide windows. I've never thrown charges for a rifle however being a ball powder it will meter well if you throw and trickle up.
.Vihtavuori powders with the 1 are single base powders. The 5 series are double based. The single base powders will be more throat friendly being a cooler burning powder.

Your looking for a single base powder. for the lighter bullets like the 121 H322 may be what your looking for for the 121's I didn't load it. BLC-2 is also a cooler burning powder that may work very well with the lighter bullets. It's a great 147-155grn 308 powder. It's not varget like in temps but easy enough to keep the load in tune. I've shot about 50# through various smaller cases over the years and it was always accurate with pretty wide windows. I've never thrown charges for a rifle however being a ball powder it will meter well if you throw and trickle up.
.Vihtavuori powders with the 1 are single base powders. The 5 series are double based. The single base powders will be more throat friendly being a cooler burning powder.
Interesting, I have some BLC-2.

While on the subject any negatives to the new Reloader 16? It has great temp stability and seems faster than H4350 without too much pressure in the few threads or articles I've read. At least while using it in the Popular 6.5 short action cartridges it's designed for. Here is an article you may have seen in its temp stability.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/03/tyler-kee/powder-review-alliant-rl-16/amp/
All the Rl powders are double based. When I tried Rl16 I could get to almost the rl 26 speeds before pressure. I couldn't get the accuracy or sd numbers until I backed off to where H4350 ran. The plus your not on the top of your pressure so you will have better brass life. If that theory is true then throat life should also be better.

Interesting, I have some BLC-2.
The other option might be IMR4831 That I believe is a single base whereas H4831 I think is double. In fact I'm pretty sure that the IMR line at least use to be almost all single based beyond 700x, 800X pistol powder.
I don't know about any of the enduron powders.

You can actually calculate this (well estimate at least within a fairly small margin of error). Precisely enough in any event to give you a really good idea of when to plan for a barrel replacement. I make a little ballistics app that comes with a barrel life calculator (if you're interested in this, PM me).
I cannot figure out how to PM you. However I would like to know which app can calculate barrel life
Thanks

I cannot figure out how to PM you, however I would like to know and use the app that can predict barrel life.

Thank you

Bore erosion has more to do with case capacity to bore ratio than the friction caused by the bullet. Coating the bullet or the barrel would help barrel ware. When the powder ignites its like a blow torch. More powder more heat. The hotter the barrel get the faster it the throat erodes. You can find an Overbore Index Chart on accurate shooter dot com.
They also have a spreadsheet that can be downloaded to calculate barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.