6.5 CR sighting in height at 100 yards

Sight in at 100, if you want to hunt with maximum point blank range just dial up to that # when hunting. Sighting in at 100 helps you not have to re-zero when traveling, it minimizes atmospheric impacts. Allows me to have a drop chart for here in AL at 500' and in CO at 10,000' without having to re-zero.

I'm curious at white height do most of you sight in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I normally set my rifles to be 3 inches high at 100 yards, for a test, I sighted in my 6.5 CR to be 5 inches high.

Not a good idea, since it's shooting over seven inches high at 200 yards no.

What works for you?

All of my scopes have exposed elevation turrets and I prefer to dial instead of hold over and my rifles are zeroed based on my intended uses - so my big game rifles are all zeroed at 200 with my dope taped to the rifle. My varmint guns are zeroed at 100 with dope taped to the rifle and my coyote guns are all zeroed with MPBR using a 5" target as my guide. I have one gun I really only use at the range and it is zeroed at 100. Am I overthinking this? Maybe, but its a system that has worked well for me :)

Pretty easy to sight in at 100 and walk around with your scope dialed to 200 yard or 300 yard dope if for some reason you want to. At the end of the day, lot of ways to skin the cat and folks figure out what works for them. Sure is nice having scopes that track these days. Wasn't the case so much 30 years ago, at least for me.

Right now I'm using a 270wsm 130gr bt bullets. I sight in 2.5-3" high at 100. For my hunting I have no time or use for range finders and dialing scopes. The best scope and tack driving rifle in the world is useless if animal disappears while your dialing in instead of shooting. Just my humble opinion

I think with the the old 6.5 CR MAGNUM the sweet spot is 18 inches high at 100 so you can be dead on at 250 with its ballistic superiority!!!

I personally zero everything at 100 dead on then use my fancy dial scopes to do the rest.

I think with the the old 6.5 CR MAGNUM the sweet spot is 18 inches high at 100 so you can be dead on at 250 with its ballistic superiority!!!

I personally zero everything at 100 dead on then use my fancy dial scopes to do the rest.
I've decided to zero all mine at 1000 yards this year...that way I know I won't be able to hit anything from 25 yards to 875 yards...and man..my back and knees are going to feel GREAT come end of season...(.tree lines are mostly 850 where I hunt)...so I should be safe! Lol

270 Win
Sight in dead on at 100 yds.
Dial scope to 1.5 MOA (I.e. 1.5" height at 100 yds) and leave it there. Hold on hair 0-300 yds - don't over think it (90% of my hunting)
300 - 425yds Kentucky holdover or dial
> 425 yds dial
> 600 yds don't shoot

I'm curious at white height do most of you sight in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I normally set my rifles to be 3 inches high at 100 yards, for a test, I sighted in my 6.5 CR to be 5 inches high.

Not a good idea, since it's shooting over seven inches high at 200 yards no.

What works for you?
You are experiencing the ballistic superiority of the Creedmore. Dead on zero at 100 should give you just a little high at 1000...

Put your bullet/cartridge info in a ballistics app and it will tell you exactly where your bullet should hit a target at any given range relative to your zero range. Example, if you want to be sighted in dead on at 200, but only have 100 yard range to sight in, plug in 200 as your zero, and the app will tell you exactly how high your bullet will be at 100. I use this method initially to sight in and then start extending the range and fine tuning.

This might seem a little silly, but I guess I need to start using the dials on these expensive scopes I buy.

Honestly, I've always been a dead aim guy.
This is really a solid plan. Plus, under time constraints, most likely these expensive scopes have some type of holdover lines under the center aim point. It is actually fun to become proficient with them.
I myself am not a fan of change, but some of the crap we fight is ludicrous.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts