6.5 cal. 123 gr. SMK and A-Max

Jumpalot

I'm thinking about building a .260 and was thinking these bullets might work a little better in a SA than the Bergers. They have a BC of .510 which isn't too bad for a light bullet. How would these bullets perform on game up to mule deer? I've heard some of the 7mm SMK's can be a little hard and was wondering if these are any different. The rifle will be used for antelope, deer and the occasional coyote out to 500 yds.

Hmm.. Anyone?? I know most here would probably opt for heavier bullets, but I don't want to give up all the case capacity because of the short action.

I have used alot of 115 Dtacs in a 6X47Lapua for deer. The Dtac(matchking) is made by Sierra for D. Tubb. They worked very well for me on culling whitetails out to around 800yds.

Nate at SSG is my gunsmith and hunting partner. I have seen him and his wife take many many animals with amaxs. Also another good choice.

If you don't want to give up case cap. because of performance you might want to hold off a little. My 260 will be done in about March and Nate had a few ideas up his sleeve for her. You know how I am, I love having the first one on the block!

More to come!

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.