6.5 bullets on game

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic has been my number one concern for this season for my youngest son and his 6.5CM. Reason why is this; he shot his first buck last year at about 40-50 yds. Made a good shot and shoots sub half MOA all day long from the bench... and very accurate out past 500, so I have faith in his shooting.
He was shooting 143 ELD-X and we found ZERO blood from the site, not by making circles from that point all the way around the edge of the field. Later in the year, the deer was found about 160 yards away from the shot site in some thick brush. So, in a sense the bullet did it's job I guess, but with no blood to track, I'm wasn't happy.
I have worked up a load with 135gr Classic Hunter Bergers in hopes that the bullet will dump it's energy on impact as most claim Berger to do. If this doesn't turn out successfully, Barnes or Accubond will be the next step.
Anyone want to offer any input on shots less than 100yds, I'm open to suggestions; I'm trying to be a good sportsman above all, and also don't want to see a young man disappointed...
Thanks
Or skip all that B.S. and get some 142 ABLRs

My 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 147 ELD M's at 2860 fps has accounted for 3 cow elk in the last 3 years. Distance has been 250, 315, and 398 yards. All were bang flop with none taking a step. Prior to their being discontinued I shot the Amax's with great success never losing an animal or having to shoot one a second time. They just work for me.

I really like the 143 ELDx in my 6.5X55 .Super accurate .MV is 2750 out of my Tikka T3.I have shot 4 Mule deer out to 385 yards.All one shot bang flops.

Alot of concern is placed on accuracy when it comes to a bullet but not much on the bullets effect on game or at least not written about. What is everyone's experience with let's say Berger 140 elite Hunter, Hornady 143 eldx, Nosler accubond LR on game animals?
A bullet, of a given weight and terminal velocity and somewhat the SD, that's designed for terminal performance on given game doesn't much care what it diameter is. A 140 grain bullet impacting at ~2400 - 2600 fps needs to retain a given weight and expand to a given diameter dictating differences in design for heavy/thick skin - light/thin skin. It doesn't make a lot of difference, for a given weight, if it's .244, .257, .264, .277, or .284 after it's hit - some differences in getting it there. It's hard to design a bullet to function well at <1600 fps.; some do. I know what the 143 eldx does on deer and what the 140 Berger Hunter, and others do on deer at ~ 2200 to 2400 terminal - solid performance. The Accubond ought to do as well. I've gotten useful information from calls to bullet companies in the past just by asking about their testing - at least for comparisons. What is the lowest velocity your bullet will expand in a gel block? Then compute a distance from that velocity as a max LR for your loads - fudge it for the game you're shooting and your ability to hit a kill radius in the shooting conditions. Requires shooting a bunch of rounds in winds and terrain which isn't a bad idea for any shooter anyway.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic has been my number one concern for this season for my youngest son and his 6.5CM. Reason why is this; he shot his first buck last year at about 40-50 yds. Made a good shot and shoots sub half MOA all day long from the bench... and very accurate out past 500, so I have faith in his shooting.
He was shooting 143 ELD-X and we found ZERO blood from the site, not by making circles from that point all the way around the edge of the field. Later in the year, the deer was found about 160 yards away from the shot site in some thick brush. So, in a sense the bullet did it's job I guess, but with no blood to track, I'm wasn't happy.
I have worked up a load with 135gr Classic Hunter Bergers in hopes that the bullet will dump it's energy on impact as most claim Berger to do. If this doesn't turn out successfully, Barnes or Accubond will be the next step.
Anyone want to offer any input on shots less than 100yds, I'm open to suggestions; I'm trying to be a good sportsman above all, and also don't want to see a young man disappointed...
Thanks
I would guess at that close the 143 turned inside out, but your son probably didn't manage to really get the vitals which is what accounted for distance covered by the deer. I've had a Berger pencil right through a deers heart, it died in 15 steps. Berger's and elds aren't the Best to thump deer in the bush. When I go bush hunting I take 180round nose corelokts, why try some 160round nose interlocks, I know they're not sexy but those round nose really thump game inside of 200 yds

Hey I never post anything on here, but am always reading what everybody else has to say. But today I will chime in...I have (as have most of us, probably) realized that hunting gear/equipment/caliber/and yes, even bullet selection is very fad driven. These fads, or what's popular, are driven by marketing from Hornady, Berger, nosler, Barnes, etc. furthermore, people jump on a particular bandwagon from even more marketing from "my uncle's cousin's coworker's brother..."
I believe that all of us want to have rifles that shoot one hole, five shot groups at all distances and that can shoot 2,000 yards with 1 inch of drift and have enough energy to drop every critter that walks the planet. But we all know deep down inside that for our hunting success, that is probably not needed. What is needed is a complete understanding of how our selected bullet (whatever caliber, weight, brand) will behave at given velocities, conditions, energy, etc etc.
I have started to run my own tests on bullets the past couple of years and I have realized that every once in a while a bullet will behave outside of the norm for that given line of bullets. However, the majority perform very similar to the others in the box under a given set of conditions.
One needs to realize that a Berger does NOT perform the same as a Barnes, and so on and so forth and vice versa. So don't try and make them. Don't go timber pounding with a Berger for an 800 pound bull where you may end up with a 30 yard shoulder shot (I know people will say: "oh they work flawlessly at close range, blah blah"), and also don't set up for a 1000 yard shot on that same bull with a Barnes. It's not gonna expand....the majority of the time.
This is where people get mixed results/opinions with bullets. They are asking their bullet to do something that it is not physically capable of. Yes, most animals will die if they are hit with a hunk of metal flying at 1500-3500 fps. But that's not the point. The point is knowing exactly what is going to happen when your chosen bullet hits that animal. Accuracy ANd bullet construction matter. Don't try to make one bullet fit all applications. For example, I use Berger's when hunting antelope where I know they are a smaller animal and a long shot is going to be the norm. I also use Accubonds or Barnes TTSX when I hunt elk in thick timber in NW Montana where I rarely have a shot over 200 yards.
I would just say to all those looking to switch or try new bullets: it does not matter what Joe Shmoe thinks or says on sites like this great one. You have to figure it out for yourself through testing that bullet prior to hunting. Does it meet your accuracy requirement? And does it perform terminally? Don't ask it to do something it can't.
With all that said I will give my marketing statement: I believe the Nosler Accubond in a heavy grain bullet pushed fast is the best all around bullet for me. A 300 RUM with 200 grainer at 3200 fps has performed on all game that I have launched it at. 20 yards-850 yards. Antelope to moose. The End.

I would guess at that close the 143 turned inside out, but your son probably didn't manage to really get the vitals which is what accounted for distance covered by the deer. I've had a Berger pencil right through a deers heart, it died in 15 steps. Berger's and elds aren't the Best to thump deer in the bush. When I go bush hunting I take 180round nose corelokts, why try some 160round nose interlocks, I know they're not sexy but those round nose really thump game inside of 200 yds
You mentioned a burger penciling through you did not state what bullet was it a hunting bullet or a target bullet I have very good luck with their elite Hunter for my 338 and the 140 vld hunting in 6.5

Understandably but same hole accuracy with a bullet that doesn't kill is different than accuracy good enough for hunting and a bullet that performs
One hole accuracy and massive exit wounds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190208-225315.png
    Screenshot_20190208-225315.png
    475.6 KB · Views: 86
My 26 Nosler loves the 127 grain Barnes LRX and that little bullet has performed exceptionally well on a dozen mule deer and whitetails at ranges from 80 yards out to a little over 500 yards. I've not been able to recover a bullet from an animal yet because they have all passed through, but the wound channel, overall damage and exit hole have been very impressive. I have not had a deer go more than 30 yards yet, and all but that one fell in their tracks. The longest shot was frontal angle and the bullet exited just ahead of the rear leg flipping him over backwards literally. In case it matters, I shoot a Hell's Canyon Long Range and it chrono's at 3600 very consistently.

Usually use bergers in all my longe range target rifles, up to a propriatary lawton 350 gr 375 for my 375 cheytac. Use berger 168 in my 7mm wsm target hunting rifle. I. All my other pure hunting rifles i have been using ttsx barnes for hunting and never been disapointed. My daughter used her 320 kimber to cleanly take all her african animals with a 130 tsx, with one shot. Including a big zebra stallion through both shoulders that all the experts there told her wouldnt work. Shoots under .75 in at 100. Used a 168 berger vld to take a huge eland bull at 567 yds with my 7mm wsm, with one shot. I prefer barnes for their ability to penetrate from any angle, through muscle, gut and bone. Bergers are so very accurate and perform well on broadsude shots, not through heavy bone and yds of penetration.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.